Looking for a Reuseable Air Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also recommend the Amsoil air filter. You just blow it out with low pressure shop air from the inside out. They guarantee it for at least 4 years. I have them on both of my Jeeps.

whatever you do don't your hard earned money on an afe! i did just that because of all the recommendations for it on this site and when i went to install the filter the fitment was HORRIBLE. it was so bad that i could fit the whole filter down into the airbox with hardly any force. i went and picked up a PureOne which fit nice and snug. needless to say i wasted about $40 on that afe JUNK!

I've got ProDry S in both Taco and Jetta. Although no uoas have been done both get cleaned every 30K with Simple Green. Every 15K ill inspect them and use some shopping air to get any bugs out.

I have an AEM drop in filter in my F-150 and it fit very well. The AEM media is very efficient as well. No gains in power, but that's not why I got it.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
The AEM media is very efficient as well.

+1 We reviewed a lot of ISO 5011 tests recently, and the AEM scored highest of all reusable filters - even after being washed several times.

If I went away from the K&N drop-in filter for my car, should I go with AFE Pro Dry S or AEM drop-in for replacement?

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
If I went away from the K&N drop-in filter for my car, should I go with AFE Pro Dry S or AEM drop-in for replacement?

SlimJim- If you want to stay with a reusable filter, the AEM Dryflow does better than the AFE Pro Dry S in filtration tests. The Pro Dry does not do well in filtration efficiency. The AFE staff always recommend their oiled cotton range (AFE ProGuard) vs. the Pro Dry because they claim it is more efficient in filtration, and the tests we saw agree. But it is a pain to deal with re-oiling, and, even then, the AEM Dryflow still scores better than the AFE ProGuard when looking at filtration.

FWIW, you could also use a throwaway OEM filter and be fine. In fact, your filtration efficiency would probably top that of the AEM, and your dust capacity would be higher.

One caveat - fit can make a big difference. These comparisons assume that the fit with your intake is good for all filters, but it's really worth checking when you install the filter. If you don't want to bother with checking fit, then you are probably better off with an OEM filter, which likely will have good fit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back