Looking For A Dipstick Oil Change Pump for4.3 Merc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dipstick has threaded end (looks like garden hose threads). Anyone use a dipstick pump? Boat is a 1999 Chaparral 18', 4.3 merc. Looking for a good quality hand pump that will screw onto the fitting at the top of the dipstick tube, preferably American made. Links to mail order sites also appreciated. Thanks.

your gonna have to try a marine store. I bought a vacuum/pump type years ago and it worked fine. You may not get every last drop, but you never do. you pinch the hose and stick it down the dipstick, then pump up the vacuum, then release the pinched hose and out it comes. The electric pumps are faster, but cost more also.,

I had a topsider, pump handle went bad. Bought a 12v unit, and the motor gets stuck from time to time, and it is a bit of a mess.

I bought another manual one from Tractor supply - this one is a green plastic tank - different than the topsider. It works better, but the But the issue is that the soft plastic tubes flop on themselves, even if the oil isn't particularly hot.

Although it's yet to be a problem, the hose does kink at the inlet. I'm sure it'll give way and start leaking in the future. I don't have issues with the hose and heat though. Seems fine in that regard even with hot oil (it's pretty stiff stuff). I've probably used it for 20 oil changes and the motor hasn't skipped a beat yet (knock on wood).

I've often wondered why more manufacturers don't put regular drain plugs on inboard boat engines. My neighbor has one of the high-dollar ski boats that has a nice brass drain plug at the transom. Works great. Couldn't cost more than a few bucks to do it at the factory.

^^^Agree. My boat has little clearance between the hull and the pan. I'll guess I have to suck it up and get a good pump, as the cheap ones don't seem to last very well. Thanks all.

some new oems put a hose barb on the drain pan, run the hose up to a clip and plug it. unclip it and either suck it dry or push the hose out the drain hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back