Living with run-flat tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Is buying a spare wheel+tire and a jack and lug wrench to carry around with you (that takes up cargo space since most of these cars have not been designed to carry a spare) the right thing to do?

Generally run flats are not used on cars that can actually store a spare tire.

Conventional tires are typically lower in cost and have better ride qualities than either self-supporting or auxiliary supported run flats.

At least one automobile manufacturer has stopped offering them after a class action lawsuit over costs and low tire life.

The fact that run flats are sold by car manufacturers as original equipment and there is essentially no aftermarket activity for people who wish to retrofit an existing automobile speaks volumes about them.

They're pretty much of a boutique and high-end car phenomenon.

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D

I'm seeing them being used on cars that used to be able to store them. Examples: Mercedes E-Class, BMW X3/X5 SUV. But what is happening now is that the manufacturers are redesigning the trunks of these vehicles, eliminating the dedicated space for a spare, and claiming larger cargo volume as a selling point.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D

I'm seeing them being used on cars that used to be able to store them. Examples: Mercedes E-Class, BMW X3/X5 SUV. But what is happening now is that the manufacturers are redesigning the trunks of these vehicles, eliminating the dedicated space for a spare, and claiming larger cargo volume as a selling point.

That's new? I thought that's why the spare in cars like the crown vic is sometimes up against the back seat?

On my 135i, the battery is down under the parcel deck in the trunk, but the hold down there is the ideal size for a spare tire. They surely could have put the battery up higher, far right, like they do in my 318i.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
That's new?

Well, I don't know. I haven't bought a new car in ages.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back