List all the blends!

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMHO, the oils that are labeled as a blend (or used to be, such as Maxlife), on average return better UOAs than conventional oils. So there is a difference even if the conventional oils are also "blends". Oils that are labeled as a "blend" do became rare these days. It seems like they have been mostly replaced by high mileage oils, which usually are blends.

I blend oil all the time. It depends on what partial bottles are on the shelf. I blend synthetics and conventionals. The vehicles never know the difference. Change frequently and the motor will love you far longer than other auto components love you.
11.gif

Originally Posted By: dave1251
A better question would be which oils are not blends.

Thicker, heavier-duty oils - 15W-40's, HD 10W-30's, and 20W-50's, and straight-weights are most likely straight group-II, or even a group I/II mix.

Blending delvac 1300 with Mobil clean or 5000 lets me take a great oil like delvac and thin it to where I keep a smooth idle in my 3.8 buick regal. Delvac 1300 only comes in 15w40. Staying inside the Mobil family makes sense to me, their titanium additive probably crosses the different formulas so that is a good choice. Also I have found that thinning the delvac helps my old Mercedes 3.0 diesel. It has a broken idle speed control and idles very low so thinner oil makes it run better with no loss of oil pressure. In fact, the dash OP gauge pegs faster on a thinner blend and the turbo spins faster or at least whistles more. I guess I am a blender for life.

Valvoline MaxLife is a syn blend, but the real reason I use it is because it has a slightly higher viscosity than similar oils, and it has a stronger additive pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back