Liquid Glass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tried “Liquid Glass” on their finish? I’ve read good reviews and just wonder what others might say. I’ve been a NuFinish user for years.

I worked with a guy who used nothing but that on his Buick. It was always shiny but polish was crusted in a lot of cracks, etc, it was sloppy as I remember it.

If I was you I'd get some Collinite 845. It's about the same price and I'd say you'll be happier with shine, durability, and removal.

Been using it on every vehicle I have owned for well over 20 years.
I have 194,000 miles on my Milan and it sits outside 24-7 It shines as nice as the day I bought. Gets a coat of Liquid glass every spring and fall.
Follow the directions and enjoy the shine.

LG is brilliant stuff. Try their LG Legend if you get the chance. Best used in conjunction with their car wash.

There is no comparison with Nu Finish. NF is "ordinary" (not bad, not good, just ordinary).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LC

I have 194,000 miles on my Milan and it sits outside 24-7 It shines as nice as the day I bought.

If I had a nickle for every one of my customers that has told me that their old car was as shiny as the day they bought it because of some wax or sealant they had been using, I'd be rich. Sadly, unless these cars live in a climate controlled bubble and nobody ever touches them, it's impossible. It seems the people that claim their cars are "mint" or "showroom" seem to have the most swirled up jacked up rides on the road
cool.gif

G Gary did someone sh-t in your cereal today?
Never said it was mint or showroom. It looks nice because I take care of it, not because of some magic wax or sealer. With all the miles I put on there are some chips in the paint, but it does shine as nice as the day I bought it.
And I am very proud of the fact that all of my vehicles look nice and are very well taken care of.
I hope you have a better day tomorrow.

I used it for years.

Pros - Easy to apply. Long-lasting, rock-hard shine - really. Reasonably priced.
Cons - You will be digging it out of every seam in your car with a toothpick, and finding new spots, for months. Royal PITA to get off black plastic trim.

It was great stuff in it's day, but technology has marched on without it. There are plenty of polymer sealants that have all of the "pros" and none of the "cons" now. I stopped using it when I finally realized that.

Originally Posted By: LC
G Gary did someone sh-t in your cereal today?
Never said it was mint or showroom. It looks nice because I take care of it, not because of some magic wax or sealer. With all the miles I put on there are some chips in the paint, but it does shine as nice as the day I bought it.
And I am very proud of the fact that all of my vehicles look nice and are very well taken care of.
I hope you have a better day tomorrow.

Easy tiger, don't throw a hissy fit over nothing, nobody including myself was insinuating you claimed your paint was "mint" or "showroom". And no, I don't believe liquid glass (which I have and don't use any more) will make any car shine like the day it was bought, unless said car was bought used in poor condition. Compounding, polishing, hard work and protection will make a car shine like when it was bought.
Peace out.

Originally Posted By: milkboy
I used it for years.

Pros - Easy to apply. Long-lasting, rock-hard shine - really. Reasonably priced.
Cons - You will be digging it out of every seam in your car with a toothpick, and finding new spots, for months. Royal PITA to get off black plastic trim.

It was great stuff in it's day, but technology has marched on without it. There are plenty of polymer sealants that have all of the "pros" and none of the "cons" now. I stopped using it when I finally realized that.

I still have a bottle of this stuff stashed in my pile of supplies. I never found it to be a super high quality product, but it did shine decently and worked for people that had daily drivers and really didn't know any better, or were just looking for a decent shine and protection from a product that wasn't very user friendly.

And I agree, the technology has come so far in the way of products that protect vehicle paint finishes. These new sealants and coatings are far easier to use, last longer, look better and make the car easier to maintain than ever before. I current trends continue, I think in the next 2 years we are going to see some amazing products in the way of vehicle coatings and sealants.

Nickel.

Originally Posted By: gary031

If I had a nickle for every one of my customers that has told me that their old car was as shiny as the day they bought it because of some wax or sealant they had been using, I'd be rich. Sadly, unless these cars live in a climate controlled bubble and nobody ever touches them, it's impossible. It seems the people that claim their cars are "mint" or "showroom" seem to have the most swirled up jacked up rides on the road
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: milkboy
I used it for years.

I tend to disagree. I have a considerable amount of detailing equipment and supplies and have tried many products including Zaino, C- Quartz etc etc. I agree that you still need to compound, polish etc (as required) with Liquid Glass but its gloss and longevity equal anything on the market with the exception of Opticoat.

As for removing it from trim, try LG 's LVRC. Takes it off with ease.

This is not a miracle product however it I still a [censored] good sealant. The "modern" sealants have their pitfalls too such as over application, short removal timeframes, curing times etc. there is no perfect product unfortunately.

Lg's Swirl Remover combined with a Flex RO or Cyclo (yes i have both along with a Metabo Rotary) is brilliant at removing swirls and scratches but it is hard to find sadly.

I agree with most of you. I do have lots and lots of products. There are very few products which truly stand out. Personally, I tried the Liquid Glass many years ago and was not much impressed.

It took many years of trial and error for me to finally realize that it is not the products but the techniques and some good lighting angles determine how good the fruits of your labor would be.

I would be rich if I could ebay my little used supply of all those products :)

What I have found over the 40 years that I've been detailing vehicles is...The difference in shine between on product and another is gone after the next washing. Then the all look the same.

I actually compared Nu-Finish and Liquid Glass in a side-by-side test on several of my own vehicles and...

1)both shined the same when applied side-by-side and were easy to apply/remove. N-F removed oxyitation 1st but, both did remove the oxyidation overall.

2)several coats of each did help improve gloss improvement by the slightest margin til there was no more improvement that was noticable.

3)after the next rain or washing, I deffinately could not tell which was which.

4)neither lasted longer than the other in anyway that I could measure. And neither made the paint look new again but, both made the paint look better.

5)at the time I did this test, LG was 4x more expensive than N-F. Today, N-F has increased in price and LG has stayed about the same. But, LG is still about 2x the price of N-F.

6)nothing that I've tried has ever made new paint or brand new vehicle paint look better or shiny(er), only cleaner!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
6)nothing that I've tried has ever made new paint or brand new vehicle paint look better or shiny(er), only cleaner!
keep on trying then. There is lots out there that will.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
keep on trying then. There is lots out there that will.

What do you recomend? I'll let you know if I've already tried'em!

After 40 years of detailing and retired from doing vehicles for others, I'm not really looking for anything new but, I am open minded
smile.gif

I use it from time to time and have been satisfied with the results. I like Collinite products better though.

Over the period of almost 25 years, very few detailing products have blown me away. The first was Dupont Fil-N-Glaze (something like that!) which was given to me in small sample bottle by a colleague. At that time, I did not even know what that meant but the results were spectacular on my Honda. For years I tried to replicate the results but never succeeded.

Few years ago, I purchased 12oz of M105 after reading about it. It lived up to its hype. Its consumer cousin aka Ultimate Compound too is good and does as good as M105.

Everything else had been OK or meh as far as my experience goes. If I add all my unused detailing products, it will fill up few gallon jugs!

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
What do you recomend?
S100 and Meg's #26 come to mind

S100 I haven't seen or tried

Meguiar's Yellow Wax I have used and like it for it's gloss improvement on paint. I have used it on 3-5 year old vehicles that already looked good.

This made it look better but,(but) the gloss improvement was gone after the next washing/rainfall. It' oils are what give the finish that wet(er) look and hide scratches. It is also very easy to apply/remove. I may even have a little bit remaining/hanging around.

I did mention this(but not by product) in my previous reply

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back