Liqui Moly Oil vs Oil Addtivies MOS2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked MOS2 10w40 oil or did I just like the MOS2 Oil Additive?

Is there anything special about Liqui Moly's oil over other oils sold in USA?
Will adding the MOS2 Oil Additive to Rotella T6 or to a PCMO be just as good MOS2 10w40 oil?

If its burning oil try their Motor Oil Saver? I'm currently using their MOS2 in conjunction with Rotella T6, it seems to quiet down my Cummins quite a bit. I only used half of the recommended dosage though. I used one can in my 12qt sump.

I used MOS2 Oil Additive with T5 15w40 and for me it works well.

I know many people said/write to not add mos2 additive with a good quality oïl. But question ; in which condition we should used MOS2 additive ?

RGR2020.jpg

That engine is screaming "REBUILD" in your ear. Mouse milk will not help. Of course there's always 10W 60 Harley oil.

Last edited:
I'm getting confused, can't tell if posters are referring to using Lubro/Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver (MOS) or their MoS2 (Molybdenum Disulfide) product.

Last edited:
I am trying to milk out another 64,000 mi out of motor.

I want to know if the oil that LM sells with MOS2 (MOS2 10w40)
6948.jpg
in it is any better than other oils on the market? If not, then I can just try the additive MOS2
$_35.JPG
in any 10w40 I want.

T6 5w40 with Motor Oil Saver
41x0h1PCh9L._SY300_.jpg
is a little too thin for my worn oil burning Land Cruiser. Want to go back to a 10w40. Used MOS2 oil with Motor Oil Saver couple years back and consumption was a lot less than with T6 and Motor Oil Saver. Its will about $85 for an oil change with MOS2 and Motor Oil Saver. My engine holds 8 qts. I drive about 500 mi a week.

Last edited:
Sure, try the MOS2 in Penzoil 10W-40 or whatever 10W-40 you like and see how it works, but what worked 2 years ago in an engine on it's last legs may not work today.

Do you really have need for the Land Cruiser? 64k more miles may not be in the cards and even if it were, those are thirsty vehicles and you could probably pay for something cheaper in the savings if an economy car would do.

I could drive something else but I enjoy driving the LC. It has made 3 cross county trips and has been running 500 to 800 mi a week for the last 5 months with only oil consumption being the problem. Its not so much oil consumption its oil dilution that is the problem. If I go to a 3000 mi oil change it will only use 2 qts if I stay with T6 and Motor Oil Saver.

I have just noticed that I can get T5 10w40 at Napa. I will try T5 and some additive to see how the T5 semi synthetic oil holds up compared to T6 full synthetic oil. Little cheaper than MOS2 10w40 oil.

I might just try both T5 for a couple oil changes and MOS2 10w40 for a couple and see which one works better and is more cost effective. MOS2 10w40 jug is 5 liters and T5 is 4 qts.

Last edited:
For something cheap and easily obtained,grab a jug of GTX 20W50 from Walmart and keep on driving it
laugh.gif

I'm running exactly this combo in my LX450 right now. T5 10W-30 and a can of the MoS2. My oil pressure is not really where I like it at idle(compared to running T6), but driving is about the same performance as T6.
If you are looking for that LM MoS2 feeling with your cruiser (and I know what you mean), I would suggest Chevron Delo Synthetic 5W-40.
The extra moly and boron in Delo S 5W-40 really quiets down those cruiser engines.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
For something cheap and easily obtained,grab a jug of GTX 20W50 from Walmart and keep on driving it
laugh.gif

20W50 is probably great in S Texas, but I think that would be a terrible choice for Grand Junction, CO!

I've had two vehicles(Honda and Chevy) that used T6 at 1 qt. every 1500 miles. Went to the Shell T 15/40 and oil use in both cars went down to 1 qt.@3500 miles. Don't know why, but thats all I had to do to get the oil usage under control. Both cars are still running today(kids first car).

Lots of motorcycles that ran the T6 used oil but not when on T 15/40 and thats why I decided to try it out on my two old cars.

ROD

Update.
Changed oil to Chevron 15w40 (low on money and it was cheap) and drove to Alaska. Not much startup smoke till I got about 3000 mi on oil. Now it smokes like a mosquito fogger when starting, no visible smoke after that. Was running T6 5w40 with 2 cans of Motor Oil Saver. Hardly any startup smoke with Motor Oil Saver additive I have 2 gallons of Chevron 15w40 and change oil to see if it smokes right after oil change. If it does then its back Motor Oil Saver.

I was considering MOS2 10w40 in my diesel too
smile.gif

But it is a semi-synth oil and I'm not sure it is worth it compared to other oils...here I can get Total Quartz 10W50 for the same price...

Edit : what can cause more smoke on startup after 3000mi ? Oil thinning and getting past valve guide seals when engine stopped?
Oil thickening and more residual oil on the cylinder walls because of loose rings?

I'd just switch to a very low ash CF-2 SAE40 like Delo 100, and forget the expensive additive.
OK for cold starts down to about 40F.

Hi,
landtoy80 - Liqui-Moly products are of a very high quality.

Don't be confused by the name!

Modern Branded lubricants with the appropriate ratings and quality endorsements do not need any supplementary additives

Very worn valve seals cause the startup smoke. The blowby thinning the oil doesn't help either.
Plan on selling it or just leaving it in AK till next summer and drive it till it dies (hopefully it not far up North on the Dalton Highway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back