"Lifetime Fuel Filter" B.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
my 07 did it was an interesting piece of engineering.
I loved that engine in the little zx3.. very peppy with a 5mt

The Focus.. A lifetime for the average joe is 150k lol then it's the car with it's "life time" parts will be used up...150k.. buy another "life time" car

my 2001 jeep wrangler has a "lifetime" fuel filter too.

I recently had the fuel pump assembly replaced under warranty because the fuel pressure regulator was bad so i hope the fuel filter got replaced too.

Its scary to think about because my fathers f-150 is on its 3rd fuel filter at 175k miles

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Does your Focus model also have the lifetime air filter? (I'm serious).

No, it does not, thank goodness!!!
smile.gif

Maybe I'll just leave the thing and not worry about it. Really hard for me to do coming from a diesel truck where I replace 2 fuel filters ever 15k.
frown.gif

No other suggestions? No one makes a good after market setup?

Last edited:
It probably has an HDPE plastic gas tank. HDPE is inert to corrosive elements in the tank. If you have rust in your plastic tank, you put it there.
By comparison, a tiny flaw in the zinc-nickel coating of a steel tank will only get larger and larger with continuous exposure to corrosive ethanol and any water in the tank.

I think we might be able to make a fortune selling a "never worry about your unserviceable fuel filter in your plastic gas tank gas station pre-filter". You just plug a filter and water separator onto the end of the fuel nozzle and fill the car like normal. Anybody got some venture capital?

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
I think we might be able to make a fortune selling a "never worry about your unserviceable fuel filter in your plastic gas tank gas station pre-filter". You just plug a filter and water separator onto the end of the fuel nozzle and fill the car like normal. Anybody got some venture capital?

Sounds like an excellent idea!!

I would put them right next to the bypass filters that most engines don't need because they never came with one, and the synthetic oil no one should use because the manufacturer's specifications are met with conventional oil.

We will make a fortune!!

I've actually thought about fabricating one up, but I would need some sort of completely sealed container to carry it in so I wont end up stinking my car up with gas fumes.

Be better if I had a truck.

to wife SEE? I NEED A TRUCK!
lol.gif

Not necessary and a waste of time and money run good fuel and dont worry. My buddies ram has 185 k just now needed a pump the filter in the tank wasnt that dirty

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
And the next dumb question, is this a returnless fuel line system? One where fuel pressure is modulated by the pump itself, and no return line to the fuel tank is needed?

If so, that lifetime fuel filter is seeing much less flow than older vehicles. No fuel bypassing anymore.

Im going to guess that, yes, it is.
My '04 Vic is returnless and the Vic always got second take at fancy upgrades like that.
You are right, it should reduce the gallons of fuel flowing through the filter over the course of its lifetime by a large margin. Since its just pumping what is needed to the engine rather than (Max fuel flow + Overage to account for vehicle to vehicle differences and wear out)GPH the whole time the key on and the engine is running.

I'd leave it alone. It may in fact last the lifetime of your vehicle. I've got 240k miles on my factory unit in my Civic.

Last edited:
As others have said, adding one to the fuel line will not help much and could reduce pressure/flow.

I would (one by one) remove, coat with never-seize, reinstall anything to do with removing the tank.

We just had a training session with a Carter Fuel Delivery(Fed Mog)engineer(not a sales guy) at our Napa 5 store group and this same question was asked. He stated the filter built into the tank pump unit is spec'd for a min 150K. He said with the new plastic gas tanks, better in-ground gas station storage tanks, and return-less fuel systems, changing your fuel filter is no longer needed.

He said the new return-less system are the main reason. The pumps are simply moving only the needed fuel by the engine.

Dave

Dave

Originally Posted By: bmod305
We just had a training session with a Carter Fuel Delivery(Fed Mog)engineer(not a sales guy) at our Napa 5 store group and this same question was asked. He stated the filter built into the tank pump unit is spec'd for a min 150K. He said with the new plastic gas tanks, better in-ground gas station storage tanks, and return-less fuel systems, changing your fuel filter is no longer needed.

He said the new return-less system are the main reason. The pumps are simply moving only the needed fuel by the engine.

Dave

Yup! That's my understanding exactly. I recently torn down a 1999 Corolla with 198kkms in-town servicing to replace the in-tank filter sock, and discovered that it's not needed (no need for replacing that said filter), citing that there's very, very little dirt (mostly trappings of a bit of rust bits and paint chips, etc.) but only covered approx. 15% of the entire nylon filtering sock area.

It's technical progress I'd say, and those who still in "yesterday" technology mode needs some technical catch up on this matter.

Q.

I agree - don't add a filter or mess with the fuel system at all. Any filter after the OEM filter does nothing. If you are worried that much about fuel contaminents put a strainer in your fuel filler when you gas up.

Alright Alright Alright!! Sheesh. You're all a bunch of negative nancys around here.
smile.gif
(just kidding).

Here is my issue: they had a replaceable filter in early 09, went to non-replaceable in late 09, and back to replaceable in 10. That kind of torques me a bit.

I won't add my own filter. I'll just let it be..

Unless...

Hmm.....

I wonder if the fuel lines and connectors are the same on the early 09s as the late 09s.. Maybe I could get FACTORY fuel lines that come out of the tank and connect to a FACTORY fuel filter, just like the early 09s in the same body style....

Maybe I'm not done yet.
smile.gif

Who has ever heard of the factory in tank filters plugging?

They don't. Imagine a 3500 Savana Van weighing 9250 pounds every single day. Work it hard since 04 and run it over 400k miles. Think that's a lot of fuel?

We have never serviced the tank or the filter. And that's just one high mileage unit. In the yard are several more, some with 250k miles, some less, but none have ever been serviced for fuel filters plugging!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Who has ever heard of the factory in tank filters plugging?

Not an in tank filter, but I've seen a couple in line filters pretty plugged up. They'll cause issues before they're totally plugged though. I'd bet an in tank filter wouldn't last long where I work. The circumstances under which I've seen this can be read in my other thread:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2495752#Post2495752

I think the intank filter is a different situation from an inline as far as clogging over time. The intank fuel filter is on the suction side and gets backwashed on shut down. The inline filter is usually under contant pressure and can't really backflush much.

I just wished they'd always provide an access port near the trunk on cars so you could easily change the fuel pump and filter. And offer the pump and filter seperately servicable. That would be a good set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back