Lifestyles of the shanty dwellers; garage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sitting placidly within the shanty, elated, the kitchen sink is functioning again, along with the washer, draining merrily when called upon to do so. All is right with the world again, at least at the shanty level.

Looking at the rear of the garage:
IMG_0258.jpg

Past tenants had built a dog run, explaining the concrete and the now-closed-off hole in the wall. Woof.

Let's stand in the front entrance of a Coot garage:
IMG_0256.jpg

Note the cinder blocks at bottom with wood structure atop. Shanty and garage are on a lot that was leveled by digging into the side of a small hill, created by the deposition of dirt over the eons by the nearby creek. Yep, the shanty is adjacent to, but not quite upon, a flood plain. However, with continued construction in the area, with evermore paving and roofs, etc. the day will come when a 100- or 500-year flood floats the shanty downstream, eventually depositing the shanty, and perhaps a Coot, into the muddy Mo, the mighty Missouri River, to eventually be swept into the Carribean Sea where the bull sharks await an easy meal.

Long after the garage was built (parts that haven't been repaired or replaced over the decades use antique square nails), the latest inventions were applied to the shanty and its garage, as evidenced by..... electricity!!!!!!
IMG_0255.jpg

There's even a bare lightbulb perched above, its 100 watts vailiantly struggling to illuminate its realm. Thank you little light bulb.

Any garage without a shop-vac-type vacuum is surely owned by a wimp, a woman or a terrorist. Coot is proud to present:

IMG_0244.jpg

It sucks, it blows, it rolls, it's Mighty Vac!!!!!

Hi, Jack!!!!!

IMG_0245.jpg

Unlike the hydraulic bottle jack that was made in the USA, Coot had to settle for a China-made floor jack. At the time, discretionary income precluded a "real" jack. But, of the many examined, this one appeared to be at least half-way decently constructed.

Hey!!!! What's that hanging around? Over there on the south wall. Well, gosh, it's Mr. Ladder!!!!! Hello Mr. Ladder, say Hi to the BITOG bunch!!!
IMG_0242.jpg

Mr. Ladder was made in the USA but who knows what the future holds.

Truck has 11 grease fittings and this handy device massages them regularly. It, too, is American made.
IMG_0243.jpg

The north wall and, to the left, a piece of the west wall. No wailing wall around here. China has a Great Wall. Wonder if they imported it from elsewhere?
IMG_0254.jpg

Look at all that stuff!!! Coot built the shelves attached to the walls, Sturdy. Almost invincible. Made in the USA!!! Let's see.... quadraphonic receiver with only 2 speakers but it makes noise... a garage sale find. Three of six sandbags for the truck when winter attacks. Three snow tires on rims (wheels) with the fourth as a 2nd spare within the truck. Weed eater, cheap China jackstands (seldom used) thrift store office desk that weighs several tons, big broom, a nice broom, a broom a man can be proud of!!!! To the left is the Mity-Vac fluid removal/dispensing device. Handy for those doing their own maintenance. Made in Taiwan which is a little better than made in China but not nearly as nifty as made in the USA.

IMG_0253.jpg

West wall above. The door is situated so that the other portion of the west wall is only a few inches wide.
Truck barely fits inside, mirrors have to be folded in and with the truck inside the door can't be shut. Sucks. There's our valiant lightbulb above, shooting photons in order to enlighten us. Above, across the rafters, is accumulated boards, plywood, etc. Wasps revel in building their little homes up there. We have a mutual non-aggression pact. Sometimes they fly into my face by accident but they back-up, say "sorry," and head on their way. I nod and do my thing. Comparing the height of the cinder blocks in this view with the view of the rear of the garage gives an indication of the hill's slope that was dug into to create a level area for shanty and garage.

Here's Coots kitchen table:

IMG_0252.jpg

It's plastic. Legs disassembled and the components inside the box, along with three plastic chairs. One of the chairs is open and inside the garage for use. Never invite anyone to eat so why have a table? Aunt gave it to me when I moved into their rental shanty. 8,000 pound Rhino Ramps to right. Always back 'em up with jackstands. Grandpa died beneath a car that came off the jacks. His own fault. Who wants to be squished by a car/truck? BIG fat wimmen' are bad enuff.

Mity-Vac!!!!!!!!!
IMG_0250.jpg

Chemicals
IMG_0249.jpg

A representative sample of oil within the shanty. Not a lot stored. Will use it all eventually, Havoline dino next summer. That will use the rest of it up. Trending toward Pennzoil Platinum nowadays.
IMG_0246.jpg

Omitted from shanty pictorial previously posted was the front porch, one of several add-ons over the decades. Revel in the luxuriousness of shanty living!!!!!

Frontest door leading to the front door. Main shanty entrance:
IMG_0275.jpg

First place Coot ever dwelt in that had its own washer and dryer. They came with the shanty. Whadda' deal!!!!!
IMG_0274.jpg

Thus ends the tour of shanty life. Eat your hearts out you infidels!!!!!!!!!!!!

"What's up with what must be the world's largest corkscrew?"

Awhile back, Coot screwed the world, turning the corkscrewish metal object into virgin soil until a mere few inches protruded into the atmosphere.

A small rope was flung aloft, over and across a tree limb around 30-feet above the planet. The bitter ends of the line were attached to snap-type connectors allowing the easy attachment of a large made-in -the-USA USA flag.

After attaching the flag it was a simple matter of pulling the correct line downwards, resulting in the flag rising aloft. A quick wrap or two secured the line to the metal screwish thingy embedded in the soil.

Voila', a shantyish flag pole not requiring a pole. One tree, one rope, one flag and one thing your excellent observational skills espied loitering near Mr. Ladder.

Others may spend hundreds or over a thousand dollars to send a flag aloft to the height Coot achieved with a tree branch. Cost was minimal.

Neighbor thought I was nuts. I was HURTING MY LAWN!!!!

Bwa hah hah hah hah hah!!!!! Acutally a nice chap. He is just extremely anal-retentive when it comes to lawns. A good sheepish citizen brainwashed to believe a luxurious lawn is a vital part of achieving the American suburban dream.

The empty lot next to the shanty was the ONLY space he could find to move the house to... and time was running out, the state was ready to bulldoze it down where it originally sat... in the way of a highway widening project.

But, one benefit of living next to a shanty dweller is being exposed to new thoughts, ideas and actions. Something the majority of Nebraska dwellers (not all) are not used to.

After time took its toll on the large flag, the contraption was removed. Screw saved, where it can be seen to this day. Absolutely ZERO evidence upon the lawn of the thing having resided there. Neighbor likely elated.

Thus ends the tale of the screw upon the wall. Not just any wall... a shanty's garage wall... a Coot wall.

Last edited:
I raccoonize a dog anchor when I see it......but what the heck is "aerospace protectant"? Evidently it works, no 747's, errant missiles or satellites have encountered the shanty.....

No mutts at the shanty.

303 Aerospace Protectant. For vinyl and plastic.

May possibly be the best stuff around for fending off those pesky UV rays that cause damage over time.

A third party who repairs vinyl and plastics for a living saw and touched my vinyl seats. Said they exhibited absolutely none of the normal wear and tear he would expect. The chap has contracts with local auto/truck dealerships to do vinyl repair work, along with other firms and private parties. He stated he was going to obtain some and give it a try after seeing how well it worked on my truck.

A little goes a looong way.

Quote:

Quote:

What's up with what must be the world's largest corkscrew?

Dog anchor.

I know that, but I'm wondering with what zany explanation Old Coot would come up. Just like this:

Quote:

Awhile back, Coot screwed the world, turning the corkscrewish metal object into virgin soil until a mere few inches protruded into the atmosphere.

grin.gif

I remember those quarts of havo, reminds me of when it was a cheap oil. $1.99 is a sale now. The smell of moutain fresh detergent is good, however I cannot stand it all the time, so I use free and clear. But I like to walk by the detergents when I go to the store. I noticed you had a shop vac in the pictures of your home, how many does a guy need?

O.C., what was that bunch of neckties in your previous thread? Do you have some kind of formal high falootin life you haven't told us about?

"I noticed you had a shop vac in the pictures of your home, how many does a guy need?"

Foolish mortal!!!!!!!!

The shop-vac (used as a generic term) in the garage handles the garage and other outside duties along with cleansing the truck of unattached unwanted organic and inorganic matter. And, spiders, of which there is an endless supply, at least until the cold air time arrives and the critters crawl to their hidey holes or die, like to roost in the nooks and crannys on the underside of the garage shop-vac, akin to barnacles on a ship's hull.

The in-the-shanty shop-vac is not exposed to as much dirt and critters. It is a dedicated shanty cleaner. It blows the lint out of the dryer ducting, removes scrunge from the refrigerator's working parts, sucks cobwebs and spilled vittles.

Having two dedocated shop-vacs also negates the necessity to transfer a vac from garage to shanty and vice versa. When the rain is falling at an inch or more per hour or when it's 10 below zero and the wind is howling at 30 mph or more the Coot is grateful to not have to tote shop-vacs through the outside elements.

It is truly a blessed man who owns two shop-vacs. Let others have their second vacation homes, their prized expensive muscle car, a mistress, or a HUGE portfolio of stocks. Coot has two shop-vacs and for a shanty dweller that ain't bad.

Autographed pics available at a nominal fee. Buy now and save. Get your Xmas shopping done early. You and your family will treasue this fine memento for decades to come. Suitable for framing. This one time offer. As seen on TV. Emerging clinical studies suggest that owning an original Coot pic of one or more Coot vacs lowers blood pressure and permanently cures that horrendous maladay known as ED... lack of throbbing woodys. Call. Now. Operators are waiting.

Quote:

O.C., what was that bunch of neckties in your previous thread? Do you have some kind of formal high falootin life you haven't told us about?

The sign of a true shantyman... note that the observed ties are all of the clip-on variety.

Seldom used.

Did use a few during job interviews in the past.

First 4-year degree obtained in 1997 when middle-aged Coot was 41. This was after a life of blue collar physical labor work.

Got a few interviews. One was with Qwest telephone who had done a muti-state search for a position starting in the 40K$ range. Wheeee!!!! I was one of five finalists!!!!

Well, it was the final interview. Meeting the BIG wigs. Up on the top floors of Qwest headquarters. Likely that just ONE of the BIG tables and chairs around it in one of the huge rooms cost more than the entire shanty.

I'm facing several business-suited types. Kept my cool. Not nervous. Heck, if nobody is bleeding to death what could there possibly be anything to worry about? Aware of body language, mine and theirs. The whole nine-yards and a few inches, I was ready for them.

All the business suit folks (Five, if I remember correctly) had paperwork in front of them. Part-way into the interview one of the chaps said "I see you spent a few years working in junkyards."

I figured the question was to test my composure. In my resume I stated how I was responsible for a multi-million dollar inventory, that we shipped product internationally, and that I was responsible for all aspects of the inventory, including inputting pertinent information into the computerized database that was tied into hundreds of other AUTOMOTIVE RECYCLING AND DISMANTLING FACILITIES.

After my reply the business suit that had said "wrecking yard" looked up and said, "I see, a wrecking yard."

It was obvious. Tone of voice, look on the face. I am convinced all that guy saw before him was a grubby blue collar lower class dude not worthy of entering the lofty ranks of the position I had come so close to obtaining.

The other gents just sat there, placidly, blank-faced. It's likely the question asker was top dog of the bunch.

Well, that's why Coot has ties. After repeated failures to enter corporate America Coot gave up. Worked for a teaching certificate where I believed my age would not be a drawback; nor my blue collar background. Sadly, with so many corporate jobs lost to downsizing the teaching ranks are full in most areas. I've read reports telling of many who had left teaching for corporate positions had been forced back into the teaching field. Last teaching job applied for had over 300 applicants. Ugghhhh.

Addendum: the Qwest job? Seven months after they hired one of the other four applicants I read that the newly-created division we had been attempting to join the top ranks of had been shut down, the work transferred to a firm in India. Is that irony or just a sign of the times?

Oh, teaching. During student teaching, to make a good impression, I wore ties 4 days per week. Fridays was just slacks and a dress shirt.

For substitute teaching a dress shirt and slacks is more than adequate. Dress too nicely and it creates a barrier between kids and teacher. Can't be a slob but a nice shirt and slacks is just right.

Ties suck.

Handy, though, for when you are eating and get sloppy and no napkin is around. Just use the back of the tie to wipe the mug clean.

Quote:

Ties suck.

Handy, though, for when you are eating and get sloppy and no napkin is around. Just use the back of the tie to wipe the mug clean.

Don't they say every thorn has its rose?
wink.gif

I've never worn a tie. Not once. I've been accused of being disrespectful because of it. Didn't know that showing ones neck was still considered an affront in the 21st century.
tounge2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back