Character counts- a example from China

Status
Not open for further replies.

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
When the Chinese decided to live in peace, they built the great Wall of China. They thought that no one could climb it because of its height. However, in the 100 years after its construction, the Chinese were invaded 3 times more. Enemy infantry soldiers never had the need to climb or penetrate the wall. They always just bribed the guards and got in through the gates.

The Chinese had built high and thick walls; but they hadn't built the character of the wall guards.

China has put in place a system called the "Social Credit Score" to address trustworthiness today of its people:

China's social credit system gives individuals, businesses, and government entities a credit score based on their trustworthiness. A bad credit score comes with penalties like reduced access to credit and fewer business opportunities.

China's social credit system expands that idea to all aspects of life, judging citizens' behavior and trustworthiness. Caught jaywalking, don't pay a court bill, play your music too loud on the train — you could lose certain rights, such as booking a flight or train ticket.

Last edited:
Do you think our FICO scores. Facebook, Instagram, X (Or whatever they call it now.) are any different? Cashless payment systems and Big Bank data collection...

We ARE being "rated" currently, and most of us don't even know it.

I'm confused. Is "social credit" a good thing or not?

In any case that bit of history is not true. The Mongols were a formidable army and typically did take things by overwhelming force. The Wall was frequently damaged by enemies and required repairs. Disloyal soldiers in any army get punished severely.

60 minutes did a story on this social system in China a year ago....

Do you think our FICO scores. Facebook, Instagram, X (Or whatever they call it now.) are any different? Cashless payment systems and Big Bank data collection...

We ARE being "rated" currently, and most of us don't even know it.
Your credit score, total debt and ability to repay are the main factors a bank/credit union looks at.
All this is available via Lexis/Nexis report.
If you think a bank is cruising your Facebook Page and Twitter account (before they approve a loan) you are paranoid, or delusional-or both.

When I worked in Automotive the most dangerous situation - shipment of defective parts to customer - was 100% controlled by the lowest paid workers. Usually these people were freshly hired, lowest pay, most inclined to leave after 4 months. It was the same in many of my suppliers and also our customers. Something tells me the China Wall Guards were not much different.

I watched a documentary where they said the way wall was built was to defend from China and if that's true then mastermind wasn't Chinese while workers could have been.

Couldn't find the 60 minutes story. But here is the story on the China system from NBC-

When the Chinese decided to live in peace, they built the great Wall of China. They thought that no one could climb it because of its height. However, in the 100 years after its construction, the Chinese were invaded 3 times more. Enemy infantry soldiers never had the need to climb or penetrate the wall. They always just bribed the guards and got in through the gates.

That's not what I learned in school. Would you mind citing your source?

My understanding is, there used to be 7 kingdoms with their own "walls" and the last one who united them decided to link their former walls together up north and tear down the rest between them (221-206 BC). The old walls were long gone and the one we see today were build during Ming dynasty (1368-1644 AD). The most important function of the wall is actually the signaling via smoke / fire between the guard post, to rapidly notify the military and mobilize them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back