lexus transmission to differential leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

lee

trying to help out my daughter and I believe she has a leaking seal between her transmission and differential on a 95 Lexus ES300 (also in Camrys and Avalon). I think this because it's dripping out a hole near where the two units meet (near the torque Converter/Flex-plate), but there's nothing coming out at the input shaft seal. Also, when I pulled the diff fill-plug, a lot of ATF came out.

So, anybody know if I can separate the diff from the tranny while in car, or do I have to pull the whole thing (which means engine too). And if yes, can I get to the seal?

tia, Lee

thanks monkeyman,

I am asking over there. I posted there first, but so far only a half-answered response (still need to know if the seal can be replaced without tearing down the transmission). It's been my experience that the BITOG site has more mechanically inclined members than most forums, but then again I'm new to the Lexus site so...

I do not know. I can tell you that a long time ago they used to use a paper gasket between them that had been treated with gasket shellac. It required complete seperation to change.The seal on the back of the transmission "output shaft" is proably gone as well. Now that was some time ago. If they are useing an RTV compound you should be able to see some that has squezed out in places around the mateing surfaces. If it is RTV their is a remote chance you can do it in car.

Their used to be a guy on here that works on Toyota as a private Tech. I think he also had ties to "Auto-Rx" Frank. You might try contacting him!!!

follow-up to Monkeyman - thanks again, help is starting to come in on the LexusClub site. Still haven't narrowed down the problem, but people are helping me think thru it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back