Lets Talk Soda!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quickbeam, I won't touch the stuff personally, as I've always felt wierd afterwards (like after cheap chinese).

Interesting that you are warned off it.

Lol @ "cheap chinese". Must be all that MSG
wink.gif

Good for you. Google aspartame and you'll see some people think it's poison. Me, I have enough bad habits as it is
wink.gif

Uhh Prob 5-7 a day. Mostly Coca-Cola. Ive been trying to quit. I quit smoking No problem,Drinking No problem. But Im having a hard time with pop,And I dont really know why etheir. Nethier smoking nor drinking really gave me much trouble.

I used to drink a lot of Coke, but kicked the habit. After trying the sugar-sweetened Mexican or Kosher varieties, I can't hack the HFCS stuff. Since Mexican and Kosher Coke is hard to find, I usually will pick up some of the Jarritos stuff from Mexico when I want soda. We have become so accustomed to the taste of HFCS that we don't notice the difference until we try the sugar version, which is pretty hard to do since almost all of the US soft drink manufacturers are only using HFCS.

I used to think the bottlers switched to HFCS because it was cheaper than sugar, but found that that is only because the corn lobby got an import duty put on foreign sugar so it wouldn't cut into their profits.

I read somewhere that HFCS doesn't trigger some enzyme in our digestive system that tells us we are "full." So you can sit around slugging down can after can of Coke like it's nothing, whereas the sugar version would give you the "filled-up" feeling, and you would quit drinking it. Is it any wonder so many people are overweight?

Quote:

I read somewhere that HFCS doesn't trigger some enzyme in our digestive system that tells us we are "full." So you can sit around slugging down can after can of Coke like it's nothing, whereas the sugar version would give you the "filled-up" feeling, and you would quit drinking it. Is it any wonder so many people are overweight?

Another conspiracy by a manufacturer to hook the unsuspecting public, and increase sales. Perhaps they took a tip from the cigarette manufacturers...? Cigarette ads

I'm a sucker for the "good ol' days."
banana.gif
Like when you had a lot of local bottlers, and a vast amount of distinct sodas. And they came in GLASS BOTTLES!!!
grin.gif

I order some specialty sodas off the net. One of the most interesting is "Dublin" Dr. Pepper. It is the last indy bottler (and something of a rebel at that!), and uses the original formula, including pure cane sugar. LOOK:

http://www.dublindrpepper.com/

I lso love a good, strong ginger ale, and as a southern boy, there's none better than Alabama's own Buffalo Rock! I wish it were in bottles, but the cans will have to do.

http://www.buffalorock.com/products/gingerale.html

After a week of eating clean, including a lot of water and juicing, a bottle of real soda takes me back to a time, one might recall with his grandfather.
cheers.gif

My Grandpa used to drink three or four types of "drinks", not soda, not pop. Drinks. Ask for a pop down there back then and you might get popped up 'side the head.
He drank some kind of hot ginger ale from a clear bottle, he loved Mt. Dew and Sundrop, and especially Coke in the 6.5 ounce bottle, after he had dumped a pack of salted peanuts into it. He was hardcore, rolled his own smokes, killed his own hogs, planted and harvested his own crops.

Yep; corn, potatos, tobacco, turnips, beans. None of that funny stuff.
Hogs and chickens too.
I'm very grateful that my Dad joined the army and got the H off the farm.

Ginger Ale when I'm sick because mom always gave it to me.
Root Beer with my kids 'cause it's the kid thing to do.
Orange when it's just me on the road.
Mt. Dew when I need to stay awake.
Cherry Coke - but only a real Cherry Coke from a fountain with cherry syrup.

Scott

I know this thread has been at idle for a month, but I just had to mention something about the sodas with real sugar. Yeah, Dublin is the well known one. But there are a few other bottlers out there that still use sugar. I believe there are now four Dr Pepper bottlers that use it in some of there products. One in particular does several other varieties of sodas including Mountain Dew, Sundrop, Nehi, A&W, Cheerwine, Sunkist, Crush, RC, 7Up, and others. Oh yeah...in glass bottles. I will warn you though, you get a taste of them you may never want to drink the hfcs versions again.

pretty much all american soda tastes absolutely horrible in comparison with same brands of soda in other countries. it's all because that #@$%! high fructose corn syrope that they use instead of real cane sugar that rest of the world uses. i love treat myself and buy mexican coca cola in glass bottles on occasion. it's too expensive, but tastes great in comparison with regula coke, cause it has real cane sugar. man i really miss real soda!

Quote:

I've heard Kosher Coke has real cane sugar, and it pops up in time for Passover. Not personally affected so I'm not sure of the rules. One could theoretically stock up then.

There's a place up from here that bottles their own root beer in 1/2 gallon plastic milk/juice bottles, with the pop-off top. I don't see how that holds the pressure.

Yeah I heard a lot of hype about kosher coke that suposedly got real cane sugar in it. don't belive a word of it. i stocked up on that stuff last passover. guess what? it tastes even worse than regular coke. turned out they use some kinda sugary syrope instead of regular cane sugar. tastes awfull. don't belive the hype! mexican coke is good though and can be obtained in the US. but it still uses less carbonation so coke goes stail real fast.

the best soda i had was german sprite.

My wife and I normally drink water and home made iced tea, but every couple of weeks we treat ourselves to Boylan Black Cherry or Cream soda. That stuff is made with sugar and not High Fructose Corn syrup. I was drinking a lot of Orangina for a while, my legs were beginning to hurt all the time. I dropped soda and no more pain. I never spoke to a doctor, but what a coincidence.

I'm not much of a soda drinker but drink a can once in a while. In fact I only keep a small stash of soda at home for the guests. I used to like Coke, Sprite, 7UP and Dr. Pepper.

Water is the the preferred drink now. I always have a big stash of that. Arrowhead, Safeway, Costco (Kirkland), Crystal Geyser.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I went to Potchefstroom University in South Africa 15 years ago I flew South African Airways out of London. (No direct flights back then from the US). Once I got settled in to my seat in the upstairs section of the brand new 747-400 the stewardess asked me if I would like a glass of champagne. She was walking around with an open bottle pouring complimentary glasses as we waited to push back. I declined and asked if I could have a Coke instead. She said sure and went and got one.

I knew from the shape of the can and the completely removable pull-tab that it wasn't canned in the States. I checked the label, and sure enough it was from South Africa. Man, I took a long gulp of that stuff and I was in heaven. It was like I was tasting a drink I hadn't had in years...since my childhood. I'd never realized just how much the taste of Coke had changed as they gradually went from all sugar to sugar and corn syrup to nothing but corn syrup.

When I came back to the States the following year it took me a long, long time before I could drink domestic Coke again. It tasted like #@$%! in comparison.

Quote:

My wife and I normally drink water and home made iced tea, but every couple of weeks we treat ourselves to Boylan Black Cherry or Cream soda. That stuff is made with sugar and not High Fructose Corn syrup. I was drinking a lot of Orangina for a while, my legs were beginning to hurt all the time. I dropped soda and no more pain. I never spoke to a doctor, but what a coincidence.

i heard a lot of praise for boyland soda and always wanted to try it so i went to organic store one day and bought a six pack of their coke in glass bottles. i was really anxious to try some so i opend one up as soon as i got home. man was i surprised! stuff tasted downright nasty, worse than a cough syrope and it had no carbonation at all. i thought i got old product but after checking the date it was fresh. i couldn't force myself drinking the rest five bottles so took it back for a refund. i was really dissapointed after hearing all the buzz about this last great american coke. but i still wondering that maybe i had bad product or it's just tastes like that?

I can't imagine. I've never had Boylan's cola. Only the black cherry and cream. Wow. Well, another one you can try if you want a great tasting, healthy soda is Steaz. It's difficult to find, it's called a green tea soda. I don't know how, but it's made from green tea. It isn't tea flavored. I like the raspberry, orange and root beer. I've never had the Steaz cola either, so I can't tell you if it's any good.

thanks for reccomending. i tried my fare share of organic american cokes with real cane sugar and never felt satisfied. the best i came to is mexican sodas. i don't know wheter it's cans that spoil everything or something in the water. oh well coke is not healthy anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back