Leaking oil - was told to no longer use synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maxlife and keep an eye on things. If the leak is that bad, fix the leak. Don't buy into all the synthetic in an older car causes leaks. I've done it many many times. I'm yet to see any proof it caused a leak.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Originally Posted By: eljefino
I thought you had an 04 civic. When did your story change?

Proof

That was the only time he said it was an 04. All the other times, he said it's an 01. I think that one time was a typo.

here too

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
First of all, the actual change to a High Mileage oil isn't bad, but the advice is.

Please, rely on BITOG for your oil needs/questions. That's why you are here in the first place, right?

Secondly, not familiar with Motomaster(sp?), but personally I prefer Valvoline MaxLife for the 'first signs of leak' if its a seal I'm worried about.

His advice for every 3 months is probably fine, but if it's less than 2,000 miles for example there is no point in changing the oil then. Go 4,000 miles(max) or 4 months(max) during attempts to get the seal to stop leaking.

Thirdly, I also have somewhat of an oil leak that appears to be coolant from the bottom timing belt cover on my older I4 1.5L Civic, but I suspect it's coolant since I have a consumption issue and it seems to be coming from the weep hole.

However, on my lower timing belt cover it's older and warped away from the block/oil pan so the weep hole may simply be catching the drip from an actual oil leak.

Yet, removing the upper belt cover reveals no fluid on the belt. Therefore, probably a water pump seal or water pump issue. I'm actually hoping that is the case and I don't have a coolant leak.

Because I got coolant in my last UOA, the thought of a possibility for cross-contamination between coolant running down the weep hole onto the oil pan and possibly mixing with the draining oil at the oil change, leaves me with hope that if I clean things up before this next change hopefully the consumption has been all right there.

PS: I'm losing coolant, and have lost about 1 quart every 1,000 miles.

Do the oil change routine outlined, consider a more national brand HM oil and go into monitor status. Removing the upper timing belt cover, especially after a full-temp cycle, should reveal some form of fluid contamination on the belt itself if it's a shaft seal(crank or cam).

True but unfortunately im not capable of removing the timing belt cover to see if its wet inside.

I dumped the Motomaster + Lucas stop leak and put in Castrol GTX high milage just now. Been reading too many bad things that can happen from the stop leak. Didnt feel comfortable and wanted to get it out asap.

^Yeah, no problem changing the oil again. As long as you keep an eye on things, should be good to go for now. Just look into getting some estimates ahead of time on replacing the engine seals during the next timing belt job at the latest.

you guys keep replying he is just gonna keep doing his ocd trolling dance.

Last edited:
^Yeah, no problem changing the oil again. As long as you keep an eye on things, should be good to go for now. Just look into getting some estimates ahead of time on replacing the engine seals during the next timing belt job at the latest.

But i need to find out where the cause is first before i go replacing stuff. My timing belt now is pretty much brand new, a long ways to go for replacing.

Originally Posted By: Carnoobie

But i need to find out where the cause is first before i go replacing stuff. My timing belt now is pretty much brand new, a long ways to go for replacing.

so why didnt your mechanic do this? get your money back.

Originally Posted By: Rand

so why didnt your mechanic do this? get your money back.

He did briefly and said the leak is coming from the timing belt cover area. And just to use HM oil + Lukas stop leak and save myself a big repair job.

But like i said this mech is my one mech that i pretty much only use for brakes and oil changes cause theres a reason why hes cheap rates. Previous 2 things in the past he failed to diagnosis something and i got a second opinion elsewhere.

Last edited:
said the leak is coming from the timing belt cover area.

That normally ties the leak to the cam seal or the valve-cover seal. Both are easy to ascertain without spending a lot of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back