Lead in 7.3l PSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1996 Ford 7.3L Powerstroke.
Pretty much ran Powerservice Diesel Kleen 99% of the time with a small run of Rotella DFA when it was available.

First sample at 50,846 on Rotella T lead was a 4

Second sample at 131,516 Rotella T lead was a 15 *Starting to get concerned now*

Third sample at 136,000 Rotella T lead was a 9
*Ok better but not great*

Fourth sample, ran a flush change of about 3500 miles using Delvac 1300 then another 4,000 mile cycle of Delvac 1300 and used NO fuel additives, lead was a 0 ZERO! YES!

So is increased lead caused by fuel additives? I've heard it can be. So is increased lead, which is presumably being leached out of the bearings, worth it to have cleaner injectors, more power, less smoke etc??

BTW I could tell NO difference in fuel mileage or engine operation on the Delvac 1300.

quote:

So is increased lead caused by fuel additives? I've heard it can be. So is increased lead, which is presumably being leached out of the bearings, worth it to have cleaner injectors, more power, less smoke etc??

I can assure you that some diesel fuel additives will cause higher lead in the PSD. But as you stated, an injector cleaner is needed. I have an analysis on this truck and nothing except FP, Schaeffers Soy Shield and Diesel Treat were used. I rotated them for use during each fill. I had a 1 PPM of Lead. I am using only Schaeffers Diesel Treat for this run and will do a UOA when completed. Remember fuel dilution in a diesel is a reality, so what is in your fuel will become part of your oil over time. It may be minute, but most fuel additives can cause a problem. That is why a UOA once a year is a good idea. And especially if you are using a fuel additive.

6.2K miles with 1 PPM Lead

Well I guess the real question is- does the removal of lead from the bearings have a negative effect? Or is it so little as to be insignificant? Keep in mind I've had the truck 10 years, bought new and would like to run it into the ground, hoping for 500K miles or more
patriot.gif

Anybody? If the amount of lead is so small it won't make a difference in a million miles then I'm ok with that. If the expert opinions are my bearings are going to $%^& because of the additives then I'll do something different.

Use a little 2 stroke oil and tranny fluid as a very effective injector cleaner and lube with no ill effects on bearings and engine parts. Talk to your mechanic and see if he agrees. My Cummins tech. is who put me on to this. My truck is too new for an injector clean but I have tried the 2 sroke oil at a 100:1 mix and am now trying it at 200:1. I'm using Amsoil synthetic 2 stroke oil because I had some in the garage.

Well I have talked to my mechanic and he says anyone using tranny fluid in their diesel is nuts! He also sees no properties in 2 stroke oil that indicate it would clean injectors either, maybe could be some lube benefits. Many 2 stroke oils raise octane some too and that would mean lower cetane in diesel fuel, not good.
BTW 100:1 is nuts he says, many 2 stroke engines run on that for their regular gas/oil mix so you'd go broke putting $14 a gallon 2 stroke oil in every 100 gallons of diesel! That's about triple the cost of a decent diesel additive.
cheers.gif

mettech,

Personally, I now use Soy Shield or Diesel Treat every fill up. And about every 4th tank full, I use FP-60. Also with the new ULSD fuel coming out, refineries are testing fuel for lubricity prior to shipment. But they are only adding enough lubricity additive to meet minimum spec. So a lubricity additive will almost be required by the owner in the future. My only concern is that the additive companies know this and the price of the aftermarket additives is going to go sky high. I can almost predict that next year additives for diesel fuel will be 30% higher. Some companies have already started to inch them up. JMO

I'd have to agree with Vetteman. Ultra Low is slated for a full roll out this coming November if I'm not mistaken and it will be at every diesel pump that is not OffRoad or Bio. At work we have been running Ultra Low for about 4 years, there was only one refinery producing ULSD when we switched. We had numerous injector and pump failures. A lube additive will be necessary just to maintain current lubricity levels, which I think are too low now. Very quickly the majority of 260 Detroit’s had to have pump and injector replacements (those were 6v92’s that were finally retired last year). We currently run 1400 series 50, ISC, ISM, M11 and C9 engines. All but the C9's (which are too new yet) show accelerated wear compared to pre ULSD levels.

I clarified the uses of mix and tranny fluid with the Cummins tech. He stated that when they get called to bring in a disabled big rig and its a fuel sysytem related problem they add two qurts of mix oil and up to one galon of tranny fluid if there are injector problems. The mix is a very effective pump and fuel system lubricant and the tranny fluid cleans everything. He stated that by the time the trucks get to the shop the tranny fluid has cleaned the fuel system to the point where it is clean as new. But be careful as the engines typically don't burn the tranny fluid at high mix rates. I'm only repeating what I've been told and have not put any tranny fluid in my truck and have since quit using mix as well since I noticed no changes in mileage or performance.

porkchopx, what is MIXOIL?

Also the diesel fuel biocide Bio-Bor JF makes a good lubricity additive for ULSD.

ALSO pipeline companies like Colonial will not allow diesel with any lubricity additive in the pipe because it contaminates the Jet Fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back