Kirkland FS 5w-30, 3000 hard miles, 2019 Honda Civic Type-R

Hello All..

Long time lurker here and finally did my first UOA

3000 miles on this 5w-30 kirkland oil. Honda spec'ed this car for 0w-20

I had a few people mention this oil isnt impressive because it sheared to a high 20 weight despite the results being excellent. Shearing didnt result in more wear metals and even blackstone mentioned its harmless.

What do you all think?

Here is how the oil was used:
3 track days. 2 at Thunder hill west(about 95-100 degrees both days) and 1 at Laguna Seca(65 degrees that day)
Lots of short trips where the oil doesnt get to full operating temperature
A LOT of WOT burst
A few trips on the local twisties.

I have m1 5w-30 in the engine now. Im wanting a 0w30 and discovered Triax Synergy 0w30 and it claims it has group 4 or 5 base stocks with additional moly and boron. I may try that oil and then re-run a UOA to see if that oil shears less.

Attachments

• IMG_9224.jpg
    IMG_9224.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 902
What were your oil temps on the track days?
I would imagine anywhere between 221-265
This car doesnt have an oil temp sensor nor oil cooler. I run intermediate groups so im not super fast.

Last edited:
It did shear down, but my theory is that it faired better bcs. you are tracking it. There is no fuel dilution, which sometimes plagues these engines.
I personally would run something thicker on track with a higher ZDDP level. 5W30 with Euro approvals.
Also, next time do TBN and TAN. You are exposing the oil to higher temperatures, so check TAN.

Maybe borrow an IR thermometer to get some oil temp readings right when you pull off the track, especially when at Thunderhill at those ambient temps- just for more data points.

I would imagine anywhere between 221-265
This car doesnt have an oil temp sensor nor oil cooler. I run intermediate groups so im not super fast.
I highly doubt it doesn’t have oil temperature sensor. If it doesn’t, that is negligence on manufacturer side.
Can you read oil temperature with OBD?

WHY cheep out on oil in a spendy little hot rod!!! surely TOO thin for track use!! check out savagegeese's vid the car oil fine print + misconceptions. per his vid as well as machinerylubrication.com its noted how oils continue to thin past the 100C-212F spec, you 30 might be a 20 at best + although issues would not arise until you engines reaches higher miles your slowly KILLING it BUT if you trade often as many do it will be the NEXT owners issue!!

Back