Kia Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have purchased a 2011 Kia Optima. I asked to see the OEM filter at the parts department. It seems like a very solid unit. Has anyone ever cut open one of these filters? I am thinking of getting a box of 10 filters for a big price reduction.

What's the price for 10 filters? I would ask the parts department who makes the filters for them. Personally I no longer buy oil filters in Canada. I wait until I visit the in-laws in the US.

For instance, I used to buy Napa golds, until they got to over $10 each (before taxes). Even in Pennsylvania there were $7 each.

When I went to Advanced auto parts online, I was able to get Purolator Pure Ones for $4 each before taxes with their online sales where you buy online and pick up at your closest store.

Now you are probably concerned about voiding your warranty, but maybe you can get them cheaper in the US. Do you know anybody in the Detroit area?

Last edited:
A little late now, but the time to get the filters is when you are making the car deal. It takes me a week or two to buy a car at my price. When I grind it down to where I want it, I always tell them I'll take the deal if they throw in carpeted floor mats (if not standard) and a case or two of OEM oil filters. I have had them let me walk and call me back in a day or two, but I always get the stuff.

Originally Posted By: jmsjags
i don't see any reason to buy OEM filters when there are so many good aftermarket filters for cheaper.
That's not always the case, though. Motorcraft FL820S is the OEM filter for my cars and it's under $4 at Wally's. The Toyota filter for my sister's RAV4 is only $5.25 at the dealer. I don't think these are bad deals at all...

I buy six at a time for our cars. They use the same filter and I pay a little less than $5 each. Depends on which dealer I buy at only $1 difference. I use them because they are built for KIA vehicles not 15 different makes and models.

Originally Posted By: sierrascout
I buy six at a time for our cars. They use the same filter and I pay a little less than $5 each. Depends on which dealer I buy at only $1 difference. I use them because they are built for KIA vehicles not 15 different makes and models.

01.gif

The Hyundai/Kia filters are made inhouse. They are a really well made filters!

Thanks folks
I will pick up a case tomorrow. I can get them for $6.00 a filter. It is not a great price but I want to use OEM for the five year warranty period. When I had my Honda Civic Hybrid the OEM filters were $9.00 Canadian! I only did that once.

Frankly I think the Hyundai/Kia filters are better than anything on the shelf at a parts house

I use them exclusively on my Sonata.

Originally Posted By: cb450sc
I have purchased a 2011 Kia Optima. I asked to see the OEM filter at the parts department. It seems like a very solid unit. Has anyone ever cut open one of these filters? I am thinking of getting a box of 10 filters for a big price reduction.

The filters are made by Dongwoo Co. Ltd., which is owned by Hyundai. The original arrangements involved joint ownership by DongWoo and Mann+Hummel, but Hyundai became 100% owner in 2008.

So, you've got a Korean filter made with German technology, and they are very well made indeed.

Originally Posted By: jmsjags
i don't see any reason to buy OEM filters when there are so many good aftermarket filters for cheaper.

You must not be too familiar with Hyundais/Kias.

Hyundais and Kias sometimes have problems with aftermarket filters. Hyundai issued a TSB #05-20-002 several years ago affecting all models. It says aftermarket filters can cause a knocking noise.

I had the problem on my Sonata. It started knocking terribly with a Champ Labs made STP filter. I had read the TSB, but the knocking was so loud that I was sure the engine was shot. I put on a Hyundai filter and it never happened again.

The Hyundai filter is made in Korea and seems pretty stout. It also has a silicone ADBV, which I like. I only use the OEM filter on my Sonata, but I never use OEM filters on any of my other cars.

Last edited:
Just because a filter is cheaper does not mean it will work the same for one car as it does for another.

I must admit the last filter I have used on the 2011 Kia is a ST filter from WM. No problems and I am almost at 5k on the filter. Need to do an OCI this week.

First, I've got nothing against Hyundai/Kia OEM canister filters, those that have been posted here generally look well made. Not sure they are any better than a comparably priced aftermarket filter with a silicone adbv though.

The following links to the Motor Trend long term test of the 2011 Kia Optima, seems to indicate a possible issue with a Kia oem filter. At least, that's what is implied by updates #4 and #5 posted below.

Long term update #4

Long term update #5

Originally Posted By: sayjac

The following links to the Motor Trend long term test of the 2011 Kia Optima, seems to indicate a possible issue with a Kia oem filter. At least, that's what is implied by updates #4 and #5 posted below.

Long term update #4

Long term update #5

Ouch! ... go in for an oil & filter change and end up getting an engine swap.
crazy.gif

The Hyundai OEM filter is very good. Here are some pictures of it cut up compared to a Purolator. The Purolater would caused cold engine knock after the oil had about 2000 miles on it.

two-filters-cut-up.jpg

top-off-of-filters.jpg

two-filters-gutted.jpg

two-filter-bottom.jpg

two-filters-top-close-2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back