K&N oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Filter companies do the same thing oil companies for those of you who want a direct comparison, that is only supply the data that is favorable to the product,leave out the negative or average and use protocals that the competition does not publish.
Frustrating isn't it?

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
Sorry,Patman I do not.

Based on what you know about the K&N and the AC Delco filter though, would you say that the AC Delco is pretty much as effective at removing dirt and flowing higher amounts of oil? I know the AC Delco is rated as a 25 micron filter, and with that rating I mean that it should stop about 98-99% of the particles this size and larger. That sounds similar to the K&N, maybe even better. And at $3, I can't argue with the AC Delco's price! My mom's side of the family is Scottish, so I'm part cheap! (and the other half is Italian, they are kinda cheap too!)
tongue.gif

[ July 16, 2002, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Patman, The 300 HP Quad 4 for sale that I raced used the little Blue stock off the shelf AC filters and functioned fine. The engine builder(Bilmar) and Olds racing recommended them.
I run them on all the test engines that Ac will fit. Now that could change if AC is being made a brand and not keeping the quality up,so far so good.
patriot.gif
patriot.gif

Those AC filters were the PF 47 and I think it changed to another number later but both worked fine.

Terry, I don't know if you saw my post from the weekend, but I found out the AC Delco filters for Canada are made by Dana, the same people that make Wix. I'm not sure if this is the same with the US Duraguard AC Delcos. Do you think that Dana makes good quality stuff?

Yes wix is good quality, yes Dana makes good quality products but as far as AC oil filters being rebranded or made to spec I have not seen that product. THe duraguard AC filters are made in Mexico but using US materials. I would expect the media paper of both the Canadian and US filter to be the same. I could be wrong. Can you procure any tech data from Ac on the Canadian spec filter and post here for inspection?

Terry, where does Purolator PureONE rate in quality with M1 and the K&N? Not inteerested in burst strength as stock vehicles, just filtering capacity in microns etc. Tks..s

IF you can get Pure One at a good price I would recommend them. That media is in the Motorcraft filters here.

They are good at efficiency,somewhat restricted in flow,average capacity. In a street vehicle they are a good choice. I prefer less restriction for a high performance engine.

Its not unless you race it in touring class at the road course !

The pure one is fine with that application.

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
Yes wix is good quality, yes Dana makes good quality products but as far as AC oil filters being rebranded or made to spec I have not seen that product. THe duraguard AC filters are made in Mexico but using US materials. I would expect the media paper of both the Canadian and US filter to be the same. I could be wrong. Can you procure any tech data from Ac on the Canadian spec filter and post here for inspection?

I tried to Terry, but the literature that was sent to me from AC Delco didn't tell me much at all.
frown.gif
I had thought that the media was better since in the catalog here it states it uses a synthetic media. But yet when I corresponded with one of the tech reps in email, he says that it uses the same materials as the US made Ultraguard and is a 25micron filter. So that's what confuses me. How could the catalog claim it uses a synthetic media if it's not true? And they weren't referring to the Ultraguard either, as we've never gotten that filter up here. It's the 2002 catalog too. I should steal one and scan it in.
smile.gif

Think I'll stick with the M1. My engine spends the vast majority of the time under 2000 RPM and if it goes into bypass for that little bit when I get frisky, I think it's a good tradeoff for the effeciency.

Terry, I'd heard that Ford Contour SVT owners were complaining that while parking lot racing, they were getting oil starvation with Pure-One filters ... or was it a Motorcraft filter made by Purolator?

Have you heard anything else in this regard?

But unless you SUSTAIN a high-RPM, Pure-One filters should be a very good choice.

Ac is a synthetic mix.polyester and paper media.

Oil starvation, As I said and you seem to agree Brorjace don't race the pure one media. It may be more lateral G force than restriction on the filter though. THey may need windage trays and more oil to not satrve the pump pickup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back