Just watched my first ever episode of Star Trek- really enjoyable

That's probably considered one of the best Star Trek movies out there. Basically a sequel to the Space Seed episode with Ricardo Montalban. Although Khan Noonien Singh is supposed to be Indian and Richardo was Mexican and later on he was played by Benedict Cumberbatch.

I'm glad you joined the legions of folks that found enjoyment in Star Trek. I watched it a lot as a kid. I would strongly encourage you to keep sniffing around, especially in The next Generation and Voyager series. There's a lot to love about Voyager after Jeri Ryan joined the cast. 7 of 9 is a truly fascinating story line, and Kate Mulgrew brings so much to the role of Captain Janeway. I think Voyager's the best of the franchise.

I like all the Treks, but am really looking forward to "Star Trek Strange New Worlds" featuring Pike as captain of the Enterprise before Kirk, and Pike's doom...

Of the original Star Trek there is an episode called "All Our Yesterdays" that is a good episode. However, there are 2 very well written books that are an enjoyable and good read, that were written later, that use that original TV episode as the groundwork for the background of the books.

The first one of those books is called "Yesterday's Son" and it is a very good read, especially if you see the episode "All Our Yesterday's" before reading that book.

The Second book is "Time for Yesterday", and it is also a good read. It is best to read them in order.

Actually, I think those 2 books (especially the first one) are better written than some of the original episodes. And found them more enjoyable than some of the original episodes.

There are many books that have been written using the Star Trek characters from the original series, and some of those books are good enough that they should have been made into an episode if the series were still being produced.

And the additional Star Trek series also have books written using those characters, and some of those books are also very good.

I actually think that someday when computers are capable, financing is available, and other legal things permit, some of those books will be made into movies that will be similar to adding additional episodes to the series. Computer animation is getting good enough that with inputting the existing history of the way the actors moved in any long running TV series, the animation can make it look like the actors really performed those parts even though they are no longer around, or able to do so. If hundreds of hours of an actor playing a part exists, some computer animation software can do a lot with it.

Reactions: GON
A benchmark episode from the original series featured Joan Collins.
In brief, a surprisingly well done series of events sees a principal character pierce a "time & space portal", go back in time and effect changes which cause the Wehrmacht to win resulting in a vastly changed world.
The good guys endeavor to chase their comrade and discover they have to ensure a charitable, insightful "city angle"-Joan Collins- dies.
A Star Trek freak or Google search could reveal the title.
It truly is a defining episode.

At the very end of this gut wrenching episode the principals exit the portal and the Scotsman looks at them innocently and says, "Captain, what happened? You stepped in only a moment ago".
That's my FAVORITE Star Trek line.

Any Star Trek episode with a Vulcan 'Bird of Prey' showing up is one to watch.
Also, the one where Kirk engages a biped lizard in combat to the death on a desolate planet.

"Landru" still gives me the creeps. Something about that dude's face appearing like that. As a kid, it was just terrifying.

Last edited:
Last night I watched a Star Trek episode for the first time. I am in my late 50's. I am not interested in sci fi, so never watched a Star Trek before.

My Wife is in Denver with the Grankids (I am on my way right now). My Wife controls the remote. That is her subliminal passive aggressive way of me being regularly away from home for the past few decades. We no longer have cable, so I was surfing free TV. Saw a Star Trek on and decided to watch it.

The episode was super good. Some robot made it on the space ship, and was taking the space ship over. The robot thought CPT Kirk was his leader, but was still going to sabotage the space ship. The dialog was refreshing, the story line was good, the acting was excellent. I will be looking to watch more episodes of Star Trek. BTW, I saw one Star Wars movie. The first one. Yawn. My youngest Son loves all things Star Wars......
I think you would enjoy watching the series as a whole. While it is 1960's era effects, its messages are still valid today. After watching the devices used back them and comparing them to what we have now, you'll see how advanced it really was for its time. Yes, there are a couple episodes that, well, aren't very good. but others more than make up for them. Give the series a chance. When your done, you can see the newer, made in 2016 series that picked up where the last episode left off, albeit different actors playing the characters, it too, is well worth watching. I say give it a chance. I think you will really be pleasantly surprised.

"Landru" still gives me the creeps. Something about that dude's face appearing like that. As a kid, it was just terrifying.

Great episode.

I think the original Menagerie/ Cage was also great.

The Talosians were creepy and the story was awesome.

Im surprised the Corbomite maneuver was rated so low by that guy.

I never cared too much for sci fi. I did enjoy quite a few Twilight Zone episodes , is that sci fi? Anyway I did like and watch the original Star Trek Tv show. What I found out over the past several years is something we had no idea about William Shatner. The fellow is one hell of a great funny comedy actor given the right parts to play. He can be so funny. :ROFLMAO:He had a show a few years back ( I knew the cancel culture of over sensitive American weenies would revolt) and they got it cancelled. No reason for that. The name probably offended too many ninny babies. The title was called The SH*T MY DAD SAYS! It was a riot and the wife and I just found it was the funniest things he has ever acted in. Read not too long ago they are setting up another Pilot to give him another chance at a comedy sitcom with several of the same people from the cancelled show. Hope it stays on this time. :unsure:

I watched the original series when it first aired. Way new thinking in the 60's. Cancelled after about 3 years. Also, the next several reboots. and the movies. Next Gen had some good story lines, especially with Data. The Borg were fun. Someone mentioned a fairly recent series which I didn't know of because it's on streaming.

In the 80's, on Sat. night, I believe, new episodes of Next Gen aired. When that show ended, we would switch to a renegade PBS station that aired 3 episodes of the original series, late night.

Back