Just something to contemplate:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that the whole discussion of global warming can quickly get locked here on BITOG because it has ties to certain political sides, so lets not go down that path debating it if it is real or not.

However here are a couple of other things to consider:

1) This planet with its molten core that provides magnetic field that aids in protecting life from solar radiation has been going along for millions of years. In fact it has taken many millions of years for this entire process to be formed. Only recently has man come up with the ability to release energy in the Kilotons and Megatons of TNT range. And since these devices have been invented, according to Wikipedia more than 2000 of them have been set off. If by some chance the banging on the earths crust and the resulting shock waves were to cause change in the flow pattern of the molten material deep within the earth, there could be significant changes in the heat energy transmitted to the surface, and or significant changes in volcanic activity. And if these effects were to occur there most likely would be time delays of decades or possibly centuries between the setting off of these explosions and the resulting effects.

2) The use of the Agalawatta Aquifer in the western states of the United States of America has resulted in a drop in the water level of this under ground water source left over from the last ice age. And it is very unlikely that rain water will restore this aquifer to it previous level. In fact it continues to be used and its level is continuing to drop. This extremely large aquifer covers several states, and reducing the depth of its water causes a corresponding reduction in the weight that is being applied to the earth below it.

3) Some change in levels of lakes in Yellowstone have been tied to changes in the height of the land.

4) Reduction in the ice covering Greenland has caused change in the downward force exerted on the earth crust below Greenland.

5) While the earth has been hit with extraterrestial objects in the past releasing energy in the Kilotons and Megatons range we do not know if or how these releases of energy have effected the flow of molten material deep within the earth.

6) Decades ago there were treaties banning the experimental use of nuclear explosives, but history shows that nuclear explosives were still set off while these agreements not to experiment with them were in effect. And now more nations are developing such devices.

7) So while it is hard and maybe even impossible to draw an absolute tie to past releases and or changes of such huge amounts of forces, can such huge forces cause change in the molten core of earth, and how the earths core effects the surface living environment?

Last edited:
The cumulative effect is currently unknown, but everything you posted makes sense.

I'm more concerned with the oil companies' process of fracking.

For those that aren't familiar, that's where the company pumps chemicals underground to crack the rock and release oil and gas. While efficient, it fractures the bedrock.

This process is being used throughout many western states, and also in a swath from New York down through Tennessee. It's been theorized that there will be an increase in earthquakes, once the fractured portions get close enough to a stress zone in the tectonic plates.

Plus, it's really really bad for people and the environment. Here's a handy graphic:

http://www.gaslandthemovie.com/whats-fracking#frackingprocess

Apologies that the site is somewhat political, I referenced it only for the description of the process/environmental impact.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato
For those that aren't familiar, that's where the company pumps liquid explosives underground, then explodes them to crack the rock and release oil and gas. While efficient, it fractures the bedrock.

you lost me right there.

Originally Posted By: Rand
For those that aren't familiar, that's where the company pumps liquid explosives underground, then explodes them to crack the rock and release oil and gas. While efficient, it fractures the bedrock.

you lost me right there.

Yeah sorry 'bout that, I've corrected my post.

Originally Posted By: Rand

you lost me right there.

4B) ^^

Last edited:
I honestly don't know anything about. These are just some quick thoughts:

Based on a quick search, it appears continental crust ranges in thickness from 20-30 miles, with the mantle and core beneath it. I honestly can't see how any of what you mentioned could have any appreciable affect on core movement.

The crust also increases in temperature the deeper you go, so the transfer of energy from the surface is most likely dampened as it is transmitted through less and less rigid material, down to nil by the time it reaches the mantle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back