just how good is amsoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bigjeffie
i am not playing here. i want the truth, i need the truth, even if i cant handle it, i have 2 know what once and for all is the best , the greatest , the finest oil & filter combo ever conceived by man. out here on the mean streets of america, these concepts mean life and death

UOA's will tell you that my friend...what maybe best for some may not work too well for others. Amsoil is a great oil just like PP. Ive been using Amsoil for most of my trucks life with no uoas to back it up....now im thinking on tring either GTX or Valvoline with maintence doeses of auto rx.

Originally Posted By: posty
Amsoil is a religion.
Best oil in the world.Your engine will never wear out, Amsoil in a worn engine,,, the oil will restore the engine to like new ,your miles per gallon will double ,tires will never need air added to them, Dirt will be repelled from the finish, weak poorly designed transmissions will never break if the atf is used,rear ends will last forever. Guaranteed

Originally Posted By: buster
Unless you are doing really long drain intervals, it's not worth it IMO.

Thats for sure. Ive been using Amsoil since 40K with 5-6500 mile change intervals. Rangeing from ASL, TSO and HDEO.

i am not playing here. i want the truth, i need the truth, even if i cant handle it, i have 2 know what once and for all is the best , the greatest , the finest oil & filter combo ever conceived by man. out here on the mean streets of america, these concepts mean life and death

If there was a concrete answer to this question, this board would go the way of the dinosaur and not have close to 19000 members.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977

Thats for sure. Ive been using Amsoil since 40K with 5-6500 mile change intervals. Rangeing from ASL, TSO and HDEO.
5,000 to 6,500 miles is not considered long drain intervals . Todays dino oils do that with ease.

I'm not knocking Amsoil but, when I put the 5w-30 in my nearly new S-10 pickup it maxed the oil pressure gauge out. Also when I would start up the truck on a cold morning it was very sluggish, somewhat like my work dumptruck that has been left out overnight in the cold. Never had the pickup run like that on any other 5w-30.

Used Amsoil for years. Yearly OCI at 12,000 miles. After using synthetic oil I can't go back to dino oil, I love the way the synthetic oil performs. Their new air and oil filters are top rated, you just can' go wrong with them.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Amsoil is a religion.
Best oil in the world.Your engine will never wear out, Amsoil in a worn engine,,, the oil will restore the engine to like new ,your miles per gallon will double ,tires will never need air added to them, Dirt will be repelled from the finish, weak poorly designed transmissions will never break if the atf is used,rear ends will last forever. Guaranteed

But can it help bald tires?

Originally Posted By: cmhj
Amsoil is a religion.

Yes! if changes at 3,275 mile intervals.

alrighty then, thanks to all of you for playing along at home!

we have some lovely parting gifts for the downtrodden and unenlightened as well as the crescendo chorus of amsoil faithful-
who consider it their personal duty to bring the amsoil light to the faces of the heretofore mechanically impoverished ghetto of dino-dom.

now there, no hurt feelings are needed, we are all on a spiritual learning curve, lets give the fledging wannabee petroleum connosiures (sp?) a moment to arrive at their senses.

why, it like back when vipond was bringing me along, with the patience of a grandfather, so it was that i too became able to gleen the fruits of a really keen lubricant application.

the fact friends is that the Amsoil product line is the beginning, middle, end, and entirety of the wisdom of the world, with w.'s foreign policy just a laser's edge behind..........................................................

the fact friends is that the Amsoil product line is the beginning, middle, end, and entirety of the wisdom of the world, with w.'s foreign policy just a laser's edge behind..........................................................

Lemme guess- you've got a white paper to prove it too, right?
crackmeup2.gif
wink.gif

Last edited:
sure, it's a neat little graph that shows how amsoil outperforms all other conventional and many synthetics by a significant margin. it's like the k&n filter graphic.

A lot of people trust and use Amsoil products. Just because they have graphs to show tests done, doesn't mean they are inferior. Most of their products can be used with the assurance that they will perform. They are a quality product. There are also a lot of other quality products out there though, and some for less money.

Originally Posted By: cmhj
Amsoil is a religion.

I don't know, but it sure has helped the hair on my head!

Seriously, though...I use the Amsoil oil & filters and plan to do so from here on out. To get under the car once a year is worth it to me, even if it is at the cost of some hypothetical loss of engine life.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977

5,000 to 6,500 miles is not considered long drain intervals . Todays dino oils do that with ease.

Yea im converting over to dino with auto rx maintence doses.

guys, all is in fun.
it is a poke at how serious we are about oil.
i am certain all amsoil products are first rate.
seriously.

i never seem to get around to using them.

i have used amsoil motor cycle oil and found it just fine, if not superior.

i am more of a rotella 5w-40 guy nowadays.

on thiss auto-rx thing, i am using it in our rav4, in which i ran supertech dino 5w-30 for some time.

here i confess is a motor too hard on oil for a generic.

while it is basically fine, it is some kind of tough on oil.

the auto-rx seems to be working as advertised. today i reached my finger into the oil fill hole and could see and wipe the varnish off the cams.

the puff of white at start up is almost gone .

happy motoring guys

Faith is an interesting animal. When we Amsoil dealers sign on we put more than just money down, we believe also. For someone or some test to take that away from us even just a little means that just maybe Amsoil doesn't deserve that faith. There's a lot at stake here!
OK, I know this is tongue in cheek, but it does have a bit of a grain of truth. What I like about Pablo and Gary is the effort they put into being objective. Amsoil isn't a panacea but I also doubt it's the reason the oil pressure pegs the meter or is responsible for some other wierd occurrence. It's just an oil. Some would say the best oil, but still just an oil.
Steve

Originally Posted By: Rob Taggs
I'm not knocking Amsoil but, when I put the 5w-30 in my nearly new S-10 pickup it maxed the oil pressure gauge out. Also when I would start up the truck on a cold morning it was very sluggish, somewhat like my work dumptruck that has been left out overnight in the cold. Never had the pickup run like that on any other 5w-30.

I run this same oil in both my S-10s. One with a 4.3 the other a 2.2. If anything the oil pressure is slightly less than with conventional oil. What filter did you use? I suspect something other than oil caused this.

As hard as it is to believe a bit of deposits really don't do a whole lot of bad . I do not like deposits in my engines but unless the sludge /Varnish blocks the oil passages it really doesn't harm anything as the sludge/varnish settles or coats the areas where the oil does not lube. Carbon in the piston rings well that is a different thing . Auto R/X cleans that out and that is caused but heat and not enough Italian tuneups. Amsoil is a fine oil but unless you need a syn oil there won't be much advantage in running it. If the oil keeps the surfaces from making contact and when it can't "cams etc. the adds are enough ,there will not be any benefit from more. most engines don't need it. Run the motor really hard."most engines aren't run hard in street use " maybe heavy towing. drag racing probably not .unless dropping a couple grades of viscosity. .Extending oil change intervals to 10,000 + miles ,there is a good reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back