Just got Netflix and......

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told that i would be able to use the comp and run Netflix at the same time.I was told to just use a vga splitter,from comp to monitor and to tv.No luck. Is there something that i can get,so that Netflix goes to tv and i can still use internet on monitor at the same time?

A splitter will result in the same contents on both the TV and computer monitor. What you need is a computer with a dual-head video card and then turn on the extended desktop feature in Windows. If you're using a laptop, you should be able to have your desktop on the laptop's screen and then extended to the connected TV. If using a VGA connection, you'll need to connect sound from the laptop to the TV too.

I have a blu ray wifi dvd player that came with netflix. It seems like netflix is installed on sony playstations/xboxs now too and they are expanding like crazy. if you have wifi dvd player or wifi tv, you can use both at the same time. I don't see how you can do it with the vga splitter b/c what you put on the tv from the computer. if your on the internet, it will show the internet page on the tv screen.

I assume you have an HDTV.

Just get a cheapo video card with HDMI out, assuming you have a desktop. This will also carry sound, and the video will be better than the VGA connection.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
The comp i use is a Dell Dimension 2400.

This is a fairly old PC. I suspect that even if you do get a dual feed video card for it, the PC won't be able to manage both video stream and other chores very well all at once... you'll either get choppy video or other activities will be taking forever to accomplish.

Best would be to get a dedicated device to handle Netflix duties.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Works great via xbox live

+1 That's how I do it. My brother's Samsung TV has it built in and it works well that way too.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The comp i use is a Dell Dimension 2400.

This is a fairly old PC. I suspect that even if you do get a dual feed video card for it, the PC won't be able to manage both video stream and other chores very well all at once... you'll either get choppy video or other activities will be taking forever to accomplish.

Best would be to get a dedicated device to handle Netflix duties.

Ouch, that is very old at least for doing something like Netflix with a dual head card.

It likely only has PCI expansion slots (vs the modern PCI-e or even the dated AGP, which was still better than PCI).

You're going to have a hard time finding a PCI card with decent video outputs beyond S-video which you will not be happy with period regardless of if you have an HDTV or not.

I had a dimension 3000 back in 2005 that I put a PCI card with S-video out. The text was nearly unreadable and the video quality was garbage.

For the price you're going to pay for a PCI card with TV out, you may as well just get a Blu-Ray player that is Netflix capable. All of Sony's Blu-ray players have it included. I picked up a Sony S370 http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stor...tNumber=BDPS370 at Walgreens of all places for $99 in december marked down from $149 on a Xmas day special. The retail price is around $129 now, but Walgreens is stocking them at $99 currently.

The player has an ethernet port built in or your can use that player with a wifi dongle. I'm using mine with an old Linksys router acting as a wireless bridge to my Buffalo router.

So sorry to say it but it looks like a Blu-Ray player is in your future.

Here's a couple of the cheapest quality name brand ones with wifi built in and Netflix access.

http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/video/LG-blu-ray-dvd-player-BD640.jsp
$131 at Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/LG-BD640-Network-Wireless-Blu-ray/dp/B004MSGEOC

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/blu-ray-dvd/BD-D5700/ZA
$159 at Tigerdirect
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/...C7BBTkwCjCECjCE

Forgot:

That being said, I won't do netflix until they get 5.1 surround for all content to all equipment. Last I heard 5.1 was only available through the PS3. For everyone else its the old Dolby Surround technology (2 channel with hardware "trickery" done by your amp to make it seem almost as good as 5.1). Also IIRC most of their content is still only DVD quality which for me isn't enough as I can watch DVD upscaled to 1080p or true 1080p via Blu-Ray.

Supposedly Netflix's 1080p (or 1080i) isn't quite up to true 1080p because of bandwidth issues. I didn't buy a HDTV capable of 1080p/60Hz to watch sub par video through a streaming service when there's 5 Redbox and a Family Video within 3 miles of my house.

Last edited:
just get a seperate box.. that computer is too old.

you still have to use the computer to manage your netflix queue usually.

I use a seagate freeagent theatre+ that I got for 40$ it works good including "HD" content

Last edited:
Geez,how old is this dim. 2400?

It's gotta be at least 10 years old. That's ancient when it comes to computer technology.
smile.gif

Geez,how old is this dim. 2400? also,the tv that I have is a Vizio e420vl

The 3000 I had I got in 2004, so its at least that old.

Originally Posted By: buickman50401
Geez,how old is this dim. 2400? also,the tv that I have is a Vizio e420vl

The 3000 I had I got in 2004, so its at least that old.

Dave,

don't feel bad. the newest computer I got is a hand me down sony vaio 3.0 GHZ P4 2GB RAM that is running windows xp. I don't anticipate upgrading unless the wife demands a laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back