Just easing into it all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I just bought a Fleetguard Stratapore oil filter for my '02 F350 Powerstroke. I've been running Rotella-T 15w40 dino for the full 52K miles on the truck (using either Motorcraft or Fram filters.) I've got enough Rotella dino for one more oil change, along with a Motorcraft filter. After that, I'm going to continue running the Fleetguard full flow Stratapore filter along with Rotella synthetic. I've been thinking, and reading as much as I can about, adding a bypass oil filter setup, too. Amsoil replacement bypass filters cost at least $40 each, after shipping. All of the others coast around $25-$30, after shipping. Two of the systems are priced at between $400 and $500 dollars!! They're out of consideration, already. Basically they all seem to make the same claims.... some just seem greedier than others. Yes, the engine is expensive to replace, but I can probably make it last 500,000 miles by just changing oil often enough, without the bypass filter. I would, however, like to extend the oil change interval to save money and to do my little bit to reduce oil use, here. I will install a bypass oil filter system only if I can justify the expense and effort it takes to install and maintain the system.... and I don't mean if the hype can convince me, I mean only if the facts can. Any thoughts out there?

Your choice, imo, is totally dictated by your desire for frequency of servicing. If you use a MG, great filtration ..very hard to beat ..and no beating the price. I don't have any experience with Oil Guard. They appear to have a decent life ..but naturally have to sacrifice some filtering to do it. Amsoil has a decent life too, but the filters are expensive compared to some others.

If you do enough mileage, the Amsoil Dual Guard is pretty good. You can pay for years worth of filter changes within the $400-$500 window. You would literally be changing the oil out from under the filters, imo (depending on which oil you're using). I think you're into a Dual Guard, plumbed w/filters, for around $200.

If you don't do a whole lot of mileage ..then tp filtration is your best friend. $0.50 filter changes every few months
dunno.gif

LuckyDog - I have the same dilema and haven't made a final decision yet but I am close. The following may help you too.

Statements I have gathered while considering a By-Pass filter that would be less costly and work well enough.

One fellow said: "If you do decide to buy the Amsoil BMK-13 and don't want to use the Amsoil filters you can do what I did. I crossed referenced the equivalent of the EAO-15 filter which is the second to largest you'll be able to use and instead I'm using a PureOne PL30001. They only cost me about $5.50 and pretty much work just as good for my intended OCI's."

This fellow's idea impressed me the most: "I'm leaning toward with the 5/8" x 18 thread is the Baldwin B50 which is a very tight filter. Talked to Hasting guy Friday (Baldwin) and this filter is Nominal 3 and absolute 7. For all intent and purposes, this will do very well. Replacemnt on the Hastings equivalent of the B50 is about $6.00."

The last quoted system would need:
Baldwin Mount - OB1305
Filters - B50 (5 3/8"), B164 (7 1/8")

I am considering the above system with Amsoil Oil Filler & Filter caps and locally made hoses.

I'm interested in your comments!

cheers.gif

The Wix/Baldwin/Hastings bypass filters are an alternative. They are cheaper then the Amsoil EaBP series filters. They have built in restrictors. OB1305 xref's to a Wix part number that fleetfilter can help you with.

These will work fine but aren't nearly as fine filtering as the EaBP filters or tp. They also will not have the longevity.

You can also go with a cotton wound filter if you have the room. These are common DOE (double open end) filters that you see for home water systems and the like. They're about a foot long ..or 22-24" long depending on if you get 10" filters or 20" filters.

43715kp1s.gif
4411kp2s.gif

Page 335 and 337 on McMaster.com You need the cotton wound with stainless steal center core. These are available from Grainger ..and probably Home Depot. If you buy by the case, they can be had for a very reasonable cost and will have a long service life.

McMaster only offers 2" filters or 4.5" filters ..but the housings will accommodate just shy of 4" filters. There are filter manufacturers that offer DOE cotton wound filters in any diameter you can think of ..in almost any length ..in any micron rating that you can think of for a reasonable cost. I got a case of 3.5X20" 1um stainless steal center core filters for about $50 delivered. Now the case only has 8 filters in it ..while if I bought 2" it would have had (IIRC) 20. Either quantity would be good for about 300-400,000 miles.

They're effectively an Oil Guard in a different shape with a wider range of micron ratings and sizes.
dunno.gif

A lot depends on your annual mileage whether one system favors your service profile. If you do lots of miles a year ...Amsoil or one of the adapted cotton wound filters will be best, imo. If you're doing less mileage, then a Motor Guard would make the most sense. If you want upgraded filtration but do not what to invest as much as you would with a MG or have the higher replacement costs with Amsoil ..then maybe the Baldwin/Wix/Hastings setup would work for you.

I'm a little confused here

Quote:

Baldwin Mount - OB1305

I am considering the above system with Amsoil Oil Filler & Filter caps and locally made hoses.

Can you explain this more in detail? It reads like you're going to buy a Wix/Hastings mount and use Amsoil filters on it.
confused.gif

Gary,

RE: Can you explain this more in detail? It reads like you're going to buy a Wix/Hastings mount and use Amsoil filters on it.

No Amsoil filters, just their caps with fitting for lines to the mount.

By the way, I am a low mileage (under 10,000 yr) person so the Baldwin setup would be acceptable. Plus I would not be trying to extend oil change intervals - just trying to achieve longer engine life. And I want to use spin-on filters that are removed by pulling them down. Not interested in Oil Guard type filters at all.

Where can I find info on Motor Guard?

Thanks

I see ..do you mean the fittings that go into the filter mount? "caps"? The Amsoil mounts use AN/JIC threads ..not NPT. You can get adapter fittings that will be NPT on one end and AN/JIC on the other from a variety of suppliers.

For example, the Dual Guard has 3/4-16 threads just like many oil filters. It's a flat thread ..not a tapered pipe thread.

Motor Guard info can be found in the sponsor section. Ralph Woods is a site sponsor and modifies the MG filter to work in a hot oil environment and accept TP as a filter medium.

You appear to have your head screwed on straight about benefit. Many have a hard time defining their goals.

Quote:

You need the cotton wound with stainless steal center core. These are available from Grainger ..and probably Home Depot. If you buy by the case, they can be had for a very reasonable cost and will have a long service life.

They're effectively an Oil Guard in a different shape with a wider range of micron ratings and sizes.
dunno.gif

I will only add that, even though most consider a filter, a filter, a filter designed for water might react to oil or heat.

steved

Quote:

Quote:

You need the cotton wound with stainless steal center core. These are available from Grainger ..and probably Home Depot. If you buy by the case, they can be had for a very reasonable cost and will have a long service life.

dunno.gif

I will only add that, even though most consider a filter, a filter, a filter designed for water might react to oil or heat.

steved

Cotton wound filters is what an Oil Guard uses for its internals. Check out the string wound selection table near the top of page 337 at McMaster-Carr
smile.gif

cheers.gif

FWIW, I went with the Balwin setup and am satified with the choice. I don't do particle counts, so can't prove anything, but my only goal was to get comfortable with extending my OCI to about a year, generally about 12K miles, using synthetic oil. I think it was an economical way to meet my goal - and equally important, it fit my car well (2001 Forester). Have not decided yet whether I will change the bypass filter every or every second oil change.

Well, the Motor Guard system sounds decent. Over a 40,000 miles interval, you would probably spend a quarter to a third as much on tp as you would on the Oil Guard replacement filter(s). I figure the Oil Guard elements would need changing every 15-20,000 miles. But, I wonder how much oil you would have to replace over that period with the tp because every roll removed would be soaked in it, plus whatever was spilled. I mention that because the Motor Guard site says that with any V8 you would have to change the tp roll every 2000 miles. That could be 20 more quarts of oil, which would shoot the price up to even with or higher than the Oil Guard.

With the Baldwin setup, using the B50 filter, I wonder how well the B50 filter filters. Does anyone know where to get info on what level it filters down to? Apparently they either don't publish that information or I'm not very good at using the search features online. Which could well be.

The Amsoil setup is actually looking a little better, everything considered. They only charge about $174+, plus shipping, for the system; and then you have to add the price of a filter to put on it. So, the price becomes about $214 or so. Like I wrote in the original post, they want over $40, including shipping, for the replacement elements and, unless you use Amsoil oil and full flow filters, they recommend a 15,000 mile oil change (for my application, anyway)! So, you would spend over $80 on replacement filter elements for that same period of time.

Still looking........................

Well, I found a place to e-mail a Hastings tech. They make the Baldwin filters. If they answer me, I'll post their statement here.

I've seen different references to 2 microns and 3 microns filtering for the Baldwin B50 filter but, let's see what they say.

Well, I got an answer from Gina Johnikins, at Hastings:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Good Morning,

The micron rating of the B50 is 2 and it is 98.75% efficient at this micron size.

Thanks for the inquiry,
Gina

>>> "LuckyDog" 01/20/07 08:17PM >>>
What is the filtration efficiency level of the B50 bypass filter? "
-----------------------------------------------------------

Sounds good to me! I guess that settles which setup I'm going with. Thanks to everyone.

That's an oddball Beta number. It works out to Beta80=2. Not a common distinction. Usually you would expect Beta75=2 ..which is still WAY fine. The exceptions that I've seen are where specific micron sizes are spec'd ..and that dictates the random Beta numbers.

Good luck with it. Do you intend to do UOA w/ PC??

Interesting tidbit: While cross referencing the B50 to Wix ..there are other offerings for the same base. Now Wix doesn't sport the beta numbers that Baldwin alleges ..but while playing with the numbers I came across a bypass thread filter with a bypass valve.
confused.gif

Part Number: 51052
UPC Number: 765809510524
Principal Application: John Deere Tractors with M&W Turbocharger
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: By-Pass
Media: Paper
Height: 5.157
Outer Diameter Top: 3.670
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 5/8-18
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 7-9
Burst Pressure-PSI: 340
Nominal Micro Rating: 10

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.729 2.415 0.200

PART NUMBER: BT541

Descriptions : Microlite Turbocharger Lube Spin-on
Notes : Tilt filter to let air out while you fill with oil before installing filter.
Contains : Flow Control Orifice
8 PSID By-Pass Valve
Fits : International, John Deere, M & W Gear Co., Same Equipment
Replaces : M & W Gear Co. 4E023
Thread : 5/8-18
O.D. : 3 11/16 (93.7)
Length : 5 3/8 (136.5)
I.Gskt : G381-A

Adapt a Permacool to this thread and use a Permacool sandwich ..and if this filter is as good as the B50 ..you could have nearly full flow bypass filtration without any fears of blowing the media.

Just hitting stuff from different angles.
dunno.gif

Gary, I don't have a clue what you mean by "Beta80=2" or "Beta75=2". The Baldwin B50 is the only one that I've been able to get an efficiency statement from it's manufacturer on, so that would be the only one I'm willing to try, right now.
There's an International parts dealer about 40 miles from here. I guess I'll go down there to gather the parts for this setup. I'm also going to add a Fumoto engine oil drain valve so I can pull samples for UOAs without doing a full oil change. I'll send one sample in when I change the oil to install everything, just to have a good base to start from.

LuckyDog

Beta80=2 means that 79/80 2um or greater particles are filtered in the multipass test. This is an odd beta number. Not that it's invalid ..it's just a result of having the test performed to a specific particle size ..in this case 2um.

Most filters are tested to a given efficiency level ..and the particle size is measured. Hence, most fall into a Beta2=X (50%) Beta20=X (95%) Beta75=X(98.7%). Beta75 is considered "absolute". There are higher levels of efficiency ..Beta200 and Beta1000 ..etc.

In the more commonly used method, the % is somewhat standard ..and the particle size varies (4um, 7um, 13um, 22um, 41um - you get the picture) ..but if you're targeting a specific particle level ..then the efficiency rating can be all over the place.

This is the case with the spec's that you've got from Baldwin.

This is a very fine filter in the 2um range ..extremely fine.

Take a look at the Wix xref'd filter for the B50

Part Number: 51050
UPC Number: 765809510500
Principal Application: Allis-Chalmers, Fiat, Continental, GM, Hyster, Isuzu, Iveco, Towmotor, Other
All Applications
Type: By-Pass
Height: 5.178
Outer Diameter Top: 3.660
Thread Size: 5/8-18
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None
Burst Pressure-PSI: 380
Max Flow Rate: 1-3 GPM
Nominal Micro Rating: 10

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.834 2.462 0.200

This filter only filters to 10um at a 50% level on a single pass test. The multipass test could be as low as 5um for Beta2 (1/2 or 50%). They don't even list the typipical multipass spec's (Beta2 and Beta20)

Good luck with your installation
cheers.gif

OK, Gary, I think I understand what you're saying. But, isn't the Baldwin rep saying that the B50 filter is rated as Beta75=2 microns? To me, that would fit, given the question I asked them. But then, I'm not up on the technical language/terms related to filtration.
I do understand the comparison of the 98.75% filtration efficiency at 2 microns of the B50 to the "Nominal Micro Rating: 10" of the Wix 51050 that the B50 crosses to. The difference makes you wonder a bit, but it is still a different manufacturer's filter. And, what does "Nominal Micro Rating" mean? Could that be the lowest size the filter will filter out at 100% efficiency? Being a "validly" cross referenced filter may only mean that it physically fits and that it's recommended for use as a "bypass filter." Again, I don't pretend to know enough about it all to be sure I'm not heading down the wrong trail fork. But, I think I've found out enough to keep me from damaging anything.... I hope so, anyway.

Quote:

But, isn't the Baldwin rep saying that the B50 filter is rated as Beta75=2 microns?

Almost ..and when you see the difference you'll chuckle too.

74/75 = 98.67% ..commonly stated as 98.7%
79/80 = 98.75%

laugh.gif

That's why I figured that they worked it from a 2um particle angle.

So, it's really nothing to quibble about
smile.gif

Nominal refers to 50% efficiency. The difference, when viewing the WIX data, is that the one we see on the bottom of the filter data is for a "single pass" test. This doesn't yield all that high a rating. When you view most oil filters on WIX, you'll also see a Beta ratio: 2/20 = 12/17. Here they kinda put things just a little backwards ..but what they're allegedly saying is that @ 50% (1/2) the rating is 12um and @ 95% (19/20) the rating is 17um (or whatever) ..but for hydraulic filters they don't bother giving the multipass spec's.

L@@kie here

Part Number: 51516
UPC Number: 765809515161
Principal Application: Ford/Mercury (81-07), Chrysler/Jeep (02-07), Mazda Trucks (94-07)
All Applications
Type: Full Flow
Height: 4.828
Outer Diameter Top: 2.921
Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=14/31 multipass
Burst Pressure-PSI: 275
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micro Rating: 20 single pass (allegedly)

So, you integrate that as

Beta ratio: 50% 14um 95% 31um (multipass)
Nominal 50% 20um (single pass)

Otherwise ..the two numbers just look all wrong.

btw-Just about all Wix hydraulic filters in the lower pressure ratings are 10um. There are those that are finer.

Here's a Donaldson filter

P165332

p165332-432-140.jpg

Click to view larger image HYDRAULIC FILTER
HMK04/24 Element assy, 5 micron absolute, 9.4'' long

Hydraulic Filters Product Attributes
B - Thread Size (Inches): 1 3/8-12
C - Length (Inches): 9.44
D - Gasket OD (Inches): 2.76
E - Gasket ID (Inches): 2.48
Product Type Description: HYDRAULIC SPIN-ON, DURAMAX
Primary Application: Donaldson HMK04 ASSEMBLY
Media Type: Synthetic
Efficiency Beta 2 (Micron): 2
Efficiency Beta 20 (Micron): 3
Efficiency Beta 75 (Micron): 5
Application Note: SYNTEQ Media #2

Now here's the Wix that it crosses to.

896_1.gif

Part Number: 51496
UPC Number: 765809514966
Principal Application: Various Hydraulic Applications (3 micron)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Hydraulic Filter
Service: Hydraulic
Type: Full Flow
Media: Wire/Glass
Height: 9.490
Outer Diameter Top: 3.810
Thread Size: 1 3/8-12
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None
Beta Ratio: 2/20/75=2/3/
Burst Pressure-PSI: 1000
Max Flow Rate: 24-28 GPM
Nominal Micro Rating: 3

They just don't give you as much data as Donaldon
dunno.gif

Quote:

LuckyDog - I have the same dilema and haven't made a final decision yet but I am close. The following may help you too.

Statements I have gathered while considering a By-Pass filter that would be less costly and work well enough.

One fellow said: "If you do decide to buy the Amsoil BMK-13 and don't want to use the Amsoil filters you can do what I did. I crossed referenced the equivalent of the EAO-15 filter which is the second to largest you'll be able to use and instead I'm using a PureOne PL30001. They only cost me about $5.50 and pretty much work just as good for my intended OCI's."

This fellow's idea impressed me the most: "I'm leaning toward with the 5/8" x 18 thread is the Baldwin B50 which is a very tight filter. Talked to Hasting guy Friday (Baldwin) and this filter is Nominal 3 and absolute 7. For all intent and purposes, this will do very well. Replacemnt on the Hastings equivalent of the B50 is about $6.00."

Baldwin Mount - OB1305

I'm interested in your comments!

cheers.gif

I had the Napa cross for the Baldwin mount installed, yesterday, along with a Napa Gold 1704 filter (cross for the Baldwin B164.) The total cost, including all of the labor was $283! But, they had to fabricate a bracket, and I had them make and use a hydraulic line rated at 5000 psi instead of regular oil hose. I wanted it as bullet proof as possible. The next time I'm out and about far enough, I'll get some Baldwin B164 filters for it. I had to add two quarts of oil to top off the oil level. Because of adding the oil, I don't know whether to change oil now, at 3000 miles, or wait until I've got 5000 miles on the oil before changing. I don't have any way of pulling an oil sample without changing the oil, right now. When I do change the oil, I've got a Fumoto drain valve to put on. That'll make it fairly easy to take samples, in the future.

I forgot to mention something in my last post. In case anyone isn't aware of this already: There is a warning that comes with the filter mount that basically says, using this mount with a filter that does not have a flow restrictor built in may cause severe engine damage. So, if anyone else uses this setup, be sure to use a filter that has a flow of no more than 1 - 3 gpm! The two filters I mentioned in my previous post match those specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back