jumpstarter w/AGM battery and storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the normal jumpstarters have a SLA battery which I assume is a sealed version of the flooded battery? I have them but since its sealed I never took one apart.

The CAT jumpstarter has an AGM battery, which I assume is different than a SLA battery? (I know what a normal AGM battery is and what a normal flooded cell battery is, just not sure of SLA).

So question will the AGM battery in the CAT have either of these issues: 1) less power when its really cold 2) self discharge like a normal car battery when stored for a month or three.

Or does one need to go to a LiIon battery before these issues are resolved?

All batteries rely on a chemical reaction to create electrical energy, so all jump starters will work better when they are kept warm (or even on the passenger side floor with a heater blowing on them). My Clore JNC-660 has a 22 Ah AGM battery, I charge it inside once every 4-6 weeks (or when I need or have used it), it's never failed to start anything I've put it on that had a non-shorted battery in it. It will self discharge from sitting, but (IMHO) it would take 2-3 months to get fully discharged.

"Sealed" is a general term. "AGM" is absorbent glass mat, which is a means of wicking and holding electrolyte against the plates. Gel is another way to do the same thing.

All are forms of VRLA, valve regulated lead acid batteries. All ensure the recombination of water inside the case, avoiding dry out.

Most "SLA" batteries are now AGM, gel has fallen way out of favor compared to AGM. But the terms aren't necessarily identical. An AGM is an SLA, but not all SLAs are AGMs.

We use to make gel cell batteries and they were for aviation back in the day. We added some chemical to the acid to cause tit to gel. No were good as a current AGM though as far as performance.

The AGMs have a fiberglass mat wrapped completely around the positive plate. This fiberglass is made of nano tube glass. The tubes are 1-5 nM in diameter and chopped up. Super absorbent but not structurally strong. We had an Xray magnifier to look at the tubes in the lab.

All of these batteries will have less amps when its cold, that's just the nature of the chemistry.

Only the most expensive AGM will self discharge at such a slow enough rate that you won't need to charge them every month for best practice. I charge my jump box every month or when i remember. I usually end up using the air inflator for someone else and charge it more often.

So the net is any charger with any kind of SLA battery will self discharge at a rate not too dissimilar to a car battery.

Only the LiIon battery will have a very low discharge rate and only will need sporadic charging.

No, the high quality AGMs will self discharge a lot slower. I quit even boosting the one I have in my lawn mower in the spring. It's a 12 year old Odyssey PC 535.

Longer shelf life
Can be stored on open circuit (nothing connected to the terminals) without recharging for up to 2 years or 12.00V, whichever occurs first.

http://www.odysseybattery.com/design_advantages.aspx

To note....
Jump Packs have wart chargers in them.

I hook up my Ctek leads on them, and charge/maint. then via the Ctek
Better way of charging the batt inside the jump pack IMO

Originally Posted By: chefwong
To note....
Jump Packs have wart chargers in them.

I hook up my Ctek leads on them, and charge/maint. then via the Ctek
Better way of charging the batt inside the jump pack IMO

I asked the manufacturer about my clore jump and carry they stated it has a 1.2 amp charger which is still pretty weak but decent for the probably 22 ah battery. I still charge it at 2 amps with my pro Logix charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back