John Deere x590 oil?

It seems that Kawasaki stuck to grades that are available in gas rated motor oils. But anything between 10w30 to 20w50 should work. I run 5w40.
I agree with your second sentence, but still wonder why they chose to stick with gas rated oils. Kawasaki's own branded oils are SL rated, not fuel saving, and marketed as synthetic blend, "contains zinc", suggesting more zinc than today's SN/SP oils?

I don't fret over this stuff, but wonder in BITOG OCD fashion. I looked on the internet a bit, and numerous pro lawn forums suggest that 15W50 or even the 20W50 are the popular recommendation. My local Exmark dealer (Kawasaki engines) told me most of the pros in my locale are using the 10w40 (so they say). I simply cannot imagine using a 20W50 in Michigan.

Last edited:
The Fram 3600 and similar sized filters from other brands MIGHT be too long
for many tractors and zero turns. Interference from frame on z turns and the body
work/hood on tractors. Check before hand.

My 2¢

I agree with your second sentence, but still wonder why they chose to stick with gas rated oils. Kawasaki's own branded oils are SL rated, not fuel saving, and marketed as synthetic blend, "contains zinc", suggesting more zinc than today's SN/SP oils?

I don't fret over this stuff, but wonder in BITOG OCD fashion. I looked on the internet a bit, and numerous pro lawn forums suggest that 15W50 or even the 20W50 are the popular recommendation. My local Exmark dealer (Kawasaki engines) told me most of the pros in my locale are using the 10w40 (so they say). I simply cannot imagine using a 20W50 in Michigan.

A lot of the landscaping companies use 15w50 or 20w50 in their Kawasaki powered mowers. The reason is the newer engines tend to burn a bit of oil for whatever reason, and with them being run all day everyday with minimum wage operators who don't check the oil, the heavier weight can be the difference between ending the day with low/no oil and only needing to add a little.

It's been said here over a thousand times and it is still true, grab a good HDEO 15w40 and run the crap out of that thing. It's probably the best choice for 99% of these tractors. If you're a bit old school, use straight 30wt, it's good stuff.
The truth is that these small engines which are not stressed much when you measure bearing surface area to power output, will run on almost anything well. Many don't get regular changes, and still run fine.

Exactly, it all boils down to what Kawasaki has to offer. That is what the recommendation is on. SM and later oils had to reduce their zinc levels in the multi viscosity oils of 30 weight and less. 40 weight and more in the latest rating, you would be fine using. But I really don't think that zinc should be as big of an issue as Kawasaki make it out to be. Likely some old timers that think less zinc is bad.

I use the 10241/fram3614/fl-910s size due to clearance issues. The new am125424 is just a rebadged lower tier filter like the lower super tech line
Yup, I've cut open several power equipment branded filters, and they are all the same. The cheapest constructed filters available with expensive paint.

I use the 10241/fram3614/fl-910s size due to clearance issues. The new am125424 is just a rebadged lower tier filter like the lower super tech line
The John Deere am125424 oil filter appears to be identical to the Kawasaki 49065-7021. Both made by Champ Labs.

Back