Job interview-What to wear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something I haven't seen on the "to do list":

1. Floss your teeth.
2. Brush your teeth.
3. Rinse with hydrogen peroxide/water...50/50.
4. Altoids peppermints.

If don't floss regularly, do it the night before instead of the day of. That way most of the swelling & pain will occur while you're asleep, instead of during your interview. H2O2 will oxidize any nasty crud unearthed by the flossing and leave you with no breath smell. Altoids PM's will then top it off.

I'm amazed at the wretch I can smell on some people's breath from 4' away. There will just suddenly be this wave of foul stench. Obviously, they're oblivious or so used to it, they no longer smell it.

Good luck to you!

Thanks everyone for the good tips and advice. This being a State job I don't really expect any of the "let me see you squirm and sweat" open-ended questions like you have in most other interviews in private sector jobs. They may ask me one or two questions to see how I think but I do not expect it to be all that intense. What they will want to know is why I want to join their agency and how I can benefit their agency. I don't want to say too much online just yet but the work the agency does is automotive related. I have the skills needed for the job and am absolutely 110% sure I can basically drop right into it and take off running once I am done with their training session. The way I see it I am interviewing them just as much as they are interviewing me. Right now we don't know each other from Heaven's housecat so the interview will give us both a good idea whether I am the right guy for the job.

I stopped by Great Clips after work tonight for a $7.99 haircut, I was about due anyway but my regular barber is closed on Mondays. After my wife and I had dinner I picked out a good navy blue jacket, white shirt, blue tie and gray dress pants. I should look very good tomorrow at the interview. I am working on a list of questions to ask and I printed out my resume' just in case they ask to see it again.

Win, Lose or Draw I am confident this interview will go very well. Thanks again for your help.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Dress like the Republican Presidential candidates and you can't go wrong.

If you are 55% into your last haircut...get one.

Just get a different hairstylist than a certain someone.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: madRiver
I took all my stuff to goodwill at last rounds of interviews as I looked foolish in my 10 year old suit.

I have the disease where I can see when someone else is wearing something horribly dated, but if it's my 20 year old suit and it's on me, it looks perfectly modern and normal in the mirror.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The dumbest thing interviewers can say to you imo is "So tell me about yourself". I'm like,"What do you want to know?". Can they be any more ambiguous?

When I interview new engineers and technicians, this is my favorite questions to ask. It tells me MANY things about the perspective employee.

Did they research the position and understand how they will help my team?
What qualities in themselves do they think are most valuable?
What is their general attitude about themselves and their confidence?

Best question to ask IMHO.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I've interviewed about 20 people at my current job. All but one wore a business suit (men and women). We are business casual at work; I wear jeans almost every day but the expectation is that an interviewee will be wearing a business suit.

How the employees dress has little bearing on how to dress for an interview.

agree 100%, this is my experience as well.

If you have the goods, what you wear (within reason) will matter very little.

OTOH if you're not necessarily the right person for the job, then you need may need some help getting the job, and a suit may be of help to gloss over your weakenesses.

Last edited:
The interview went very well. Two supervisors interviewed me both in the room with me together. One guy wore a dress shirt and pants with no tie, the other wore a dress shirt and pants with a tie but no jacket. I was very comfortable with the way I was dressed.

They asked me six different behavioral questions but it was nothing too serious. They even gave me a list of the questions and left the room for 15 minutes so I could form my responses. Then there was a situational role play scenario. I think I did a great job on it. At the end of the meeting I had to sign a background check and driving record search consent form.

When I left the office both guys were smiling and making casual talk with me. The one in the tie said "I will go ahead and tell you that your interview went very well". I feel pretty good about it but have to wait a week or so before I hear anything.

Thanks again for all your help on this.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

How the employees dress has little bearing on how to dress for an interview.

Agreed. Employees in the office aren't there to get a job. You are.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
I have a job interview tomorrow. I already work for the State of Florida but I applied for a job with a different State agency and they want to interview me tomorrow. I have been in my current job for 9 years now so have lost touch with the interview process a bit. Is it still expected that you wear a suit and tie or is a jacket and dress shirt considered appropriate nowadays? Thanks for any tips and ideas.

Mini-skirt if you got good legs, and a bit of cleavage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back