Jeep Patriot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new 2012 Jeep Patriot 5 speed 4x4. The problem is at highway speeds there is a constant gear whine. On the Jeep forums there are others with the same gear whine and to date the only remedy is to change the transmission. Chrysler's recommended trans fluid is actually an atf+4. The manufacturer of the transmission is New Venture and the trans model is the T-355. Is there any way to use an oil that is slightly heavier in order to quiet down the gear whine? I live in NJ so our winters are not that bad to go with a slightly heavier oil. Thanks

brand new truck you aren't happy with? is chrysler admitting there is a problem? or is it just how the thing is supposed to sound?

Prior to me purchasing the 2012 Patriot I had a 2010 Patriot 5 speed which did not make a single gear noise. There is no way that whine is normal, I've driven dozens of 5 speeds throughout my years and never encountered anything this noisy. Other than changing the trans, is there an oil you would recommend? Thanks for the response.

MT still failing on these? I wanted to get one a couple years ago but was scared off by the manual trans failures/recall. I would not do anything under warranty - the thing may quet as it wears in. Maybe not though. The OD or 4 or even third should not whine though. Sure its not the diff as its a X-axle? My toyota Yaris diff had a bad whine on the FF which went away with a fluid change. That used 75w-90. If you want to get adventurous, dump 1 quart and replace it with some motorcycle 10w40. My Fiat 128 ran (spec'd) 20w40 but never had a prob using SAE40 HD.

Originally Posted By: meangreen01
With a vehicle that new take it back to the dealer and see what they have to say.
I did take it back, and the mechanic told me that my truck trans gears were cut a bit straighter for performance and that's why the gears are noisy.

Bring it back. Meet with the ZOne rep and get a new trans. No use fooling around. DOnt lets the "psych" you out of it by sayings it's "characteristic" or "Normal" or its "all YOU". Drive couaple but thats not definitive either - they could ALL be junk. I could see 1st and 2nd whine in a Trail rated CJ but not at OD in a light duty FWD basically a jacked up Dodge Caliber.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: renos09ram
With a vehicle that new take it back to the dealer and see what they have to say.
I did take it back, and the mechanic told me that my truck trans gears were cut a bit straighter for performance and that's why the gears are noisy.
NO. This a light duty FWD vehicle not a truck
smile.gif
smile.gif
You are in FWD not 4WD on the highway I hope? They are blowing you off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: renos09ram
NO. This a light duty FWD vehicle not a truck
smile.gif
smile.gif
You are in FWD not 4WD on the highway I hope? They are blowing you off.

x2. Unfortunately, Chrysler is famous for telling people that issues like this are "normal" right until the vehicle is out of warranty. The gears shouldn't whine, especially on a FWD vehicle that is brand new.

They had issues a few years back with the 8.25 rear axle that was found in many Jeeps and Dodges. The gears weren't set up right from the factory and would whine upon deceleration. They claimed it was "normal" until people started having problems out of warranty. Then they would tell you that you needed a new rear axle to fix the problem. I love Jeeps but Chrysler is the worst thing that happened to the Jeep brand. If you ever have an issue and contact them directly they basically tell you to go pound sand.

The jeep is a 4x4 and I did not have the 4x4 engaged. I know it has a ptu vs a transfer case. Could that PTU make a whining sound?

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

x2. Unfortunately, Chrysler is famous for telling people that issues like this are "normal" right until the vehicle is out of warranty. The gears shouldn't whine, especially on a FWD vehicle that is brand new.

Having owner over 65 cars and many of the new - you can replace CHRYSLER with any Manufacturers' name. Any.

keep your papers. go back to the dealer. if they send you home, go back again, keeping the papers. 6 times in 6 months, it's lemon law. hopefully you won't have to go that far. if it's known that quieter transmissions are out there, then you want one. it's a new vehicle with a factory warranty. don't touch it. don't add anything to it. don't mess with it or give them any reason to blame you. be nice to the dealer, let them know it's not their personal fault, but it is their responsibility to correct factory problems. Telling someone the gears are cut different... [censored]. plenty of sports cars out there with silent transmissions. be persistent, polite, but tenacious. you *might* use a paint marker and put a dot on a few bolts, trans casing, and take pictures. if they keep the car, tell you they did "x", look at the before and after to see... did they really replace it? remove it? drop the pan on it? if they say they took it out, but all of your marks still line up, take new photos then and there and then show them the old pictures and explain they have one chance to A) fix it, refund/trade it or B) you're taking the paperwork (saying they did something) and pictures (suggesting they did not) to an attorney. these are fun and practical vehicles. don't let the dealer ruin the experience for you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back