Jeep 4.0 under valve cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts?

5jtth4.jpg

Here's the under valve cover shot of my Jeep when I was replacing the crank case breather hoses and valve cover gasket. The engine had 96500 when I got it used and I ran QSGB and a Classic filter for about 15k before falling into the high zinc diesel oil regime. M1 TDT was used for about 30k until I made the switch to Pennzoil. (I had previously blamed QS Defy for excessive consumption, but I am beginning to think it was just leaking.. My fill of PYB was down nearly a quart by the time I changed everything out. Its funny how it went from no consumption whatsoever in 5k to about half a quart every 2k-3k.)

Figured you guys would want to hear this: I stirred up a bit of trouble on a Jeep forum last night when a fellow member asked the weekly "what oil to use" thread. A different fellow user said Pennzoil caused sludge so I posted a photo of my engine and a thread to a UOA. His proof that it was bad was a few YouTube videos. He then called me a lair and said my engine wouldn't be that clean if I used what I said I did. I think I got the thread locked so its okay to talk about it now.
smile.gif
(Honestly, I now feel PYB is one of the cheapest conventionals at WM because it still has a bad reputation and the sales are still lower compared to say Castrol GTX.)

While my engine does appear clean, I am honestly surprised to see that much varnish.. Not that its bad or anything, but I would have assumed the synthetic diet and highway miles would have cleaned it up better. Unless varnish is there to stay once it forms? I am pretty sure my Jeep was a female driven kiddy hauler (found marshmallows under the back seat a while back.
smile.gif
) by the PO so maybe it was short tripped?
confused.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
Looks fine to me. Varnish is fine. I do not see any sludge.

Clearly I was lying because my engine wouldn't be that clean if I used SOPUS products. Lol.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Looks fine to me. Varnish is fine. I do not see any sludge.

+1

A thin layer of varnish won't hurt anything and shortening your OCI a little will likely clean it up (only IF you plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time).

PYB is an excellent oil.

there are alot of myths out there regarding oil - and certainly PYB has been a common victim. "PYB contains wax and will clog up and ruin your engine" was a common one. and some of this came from people I knew who were mechanics. there are a few "old school" mechanics who also fear synthetics. I'm glad that we all know better!

Your engine looks great, just a light varnish. Longevity will certainly not be impacted by your maintenance regimen. Is your 4.0 one of the ones affected by piston skirt failure?

I am confused about the timing of your maintenance routine though. You said you from acquiring 96500 to 111500 used QSGB and PYB, then from 111500 to 141500 diesel oils, then back to PYB until today? It's not clear to me.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Your engine looks great, just a light varnish. Longevity will certainly not be impacted by your maintenance regimen. Is your 4.0 one of the ones affected by piston skirt failure?

I am confused about the timing of your maintenance routine though. You said you from acquiring 96500 to 111500 used QSGB and PYB, then from 111500 to 141500 diesel oils, then back to PYB until today? It's not clear to me.

Sorry I worded it in a confusing way.

QSGB 10w30 96500-115,000 (3k OCIs)
M1 TDT 5w40 115,000-145,000 (6k OCIs)

Joined BITOG roughly at 145k.

PYB 5w/10w30 145,000 to Present. 4.5-5k OCIs

These are all rough estimates and I did run some Defy just last summer along with an extreme short interval of Havoline.

Last edited:
My 02 looked just as clean using whatever API rated oil is on sale. Lots of QS in its past too. It runs well on QS.

Never argue with an idiot. They always beat you with their experience.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Thoughts?

Same thing as you would show a picture of your tires. The most important thing are piston and piston rings. If your Jeep does not consump oil, you are fine. Otherwise MMO or Auto-Rx or Xado TotalFlush are highly recommended.

Wow that looks fantastic! I have never had the top off mine but just looking through the fill hole there is grundge and crud and I can stick my finger in and get black sludge out. Still runs great and is cleaner than when I got it due to 44k of BITOG'er OCD maintenance.

I sure wish mine was as clean as yours though!

oooohhh... valve cover p@rn!

Looks great! Pfft... varnish... a little color is all.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Thoughts?

While my engine does appear clean, I am honestly surprised to see that much varnish.. Not that its bad or anything, but I would have assumed the synthetic diet and highway miles would have cleaned it up better. Unless varnish is there to stay once it forms? I am pretty sure my Jeep was a female driven kiddy hauler (found marshmallows under the back seat a while back.
smile.gif
) by the PO so maybe it was short tripped?
confused.gif

IMO it's not really varnish, but rather more of a discoloration. That yellow is the color of sodium, so perhaps PO used an oil high in sodium like Valvoline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back