J.D. Power: Michelin is #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: George Bynum
Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: dblshock
always liked Michelin tires..LTX is the benchmark for road touring.

Every single Light Truck tire from Michelin starts with LTX, so I don't get much from what you're saying here.
I don't want to start an argument, but that just isn't so. The current Tire Rack website lists the following Light Truck/SUV tires; only 4 of the 22 start with LTX.

4x4 Diamaris
Latitude Diamaris
Latitude Sport
Latitude Sport 3
Latitude Sport 3 ZP
Latitude Tour
Latitude Tour HP
Latitude Tour HP ZP
Premier LTX
Agilis
XPS Rib
XRV
Defender LTX M/S
Energy Saver LTX
LTX A/S
LTX M/S2
LTX A/T 2
XPS Traction
LTX Winter
Latitude X-Ice Xi2
Latitude Alpin
Latitude Alpin LA2

OK, but LTX does mean Light Truck "X", and Michelin's LTX Light Truck tires are NOT the standard for road touring!

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: MCompact
I run the Pilot Super Sport(OEM) on the M235i, Primacy MXM4 ZP on the 328i, and Premier A/S on the X3. I have absolutely no complaints about any of those tires. I'm almost certainly going with the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on the Club Sport now that it has been retired from track duty.

Be careful with the A/S3+. Have a set on my Civic as an intermediate set of tires and they are really loud, louder than my winter tires. Same goes for the A/S3 I had on my 135i as intermediates. My Hakka winters are noticeably quieter.

Had the opposite experience on my wife's former Charger, they A/S3's were massively quieter than the tires that came off of it, almost as quiet as my PSS's.

I suspect which tires are noisy and which are quiet depends somewhat on your car's particular chassis. Every car will have frequencies it damps well and ones it damps poorly.

I've had a fair few Michelins over the years.

The last set I bought were Pilot Sport A/Ss for my Lincoln, and they were bar none the best tires I've had on that car in the time I've owned it. Both dry and wet grip were phenomenal, and they were smooth riding. The Pirellis(Centurato P7s) I have now have about as much grip, but are loud and a bit rougher riding than the Michelins.

At the same time, my dad's MKZ(that I'll soon be buying) had Michelin Energy as OEM, and when they reached EOL(dry rot, not mileage) he put another set of the same on them. I'll probably replace them as soon as I get the car-wet traction is horrible with them and they are loud.

I had been a Michelin fan for years. Then on one of the vehicles (RAV4) I went in for new tires. They didn't have a set of 4 of the same tires and I didn't want to go elsewhere or come back, so decided to try a set of General Grabbers HTS (try for 30 days, come back if not satisfied). I ended up happy with the Generals.

Another vehicle I had been running the Defenders. When it came time for new tires I decided to try DT house Continental tires and I am real happy with them, and I'm still running them.

On the Camry I let the son drive full time, went from Michelin to DT house Arizonian Silver Edition III and he's real happy with them.

On the wife's RX330 AWD 18" went from Michelin PRIMACY MXM4 to DT house YOKOHAMA YK740 GTX and she is happier with them. Almost went with the Michelin Premier AS.

Doesn't mean I'll never go Michelin again, just I went from Michelin on all the vehicles to something else and I have no regrets. I've had some of the sidewall cracking on some of the Michelin's others mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back