I've read that too much PEA is not good.... but why?

Can't see why if it isn't an obscene amount but i don't see it helping. But lets say a gallon of it in a tank of 87 could reduce the octane a bit and might be enough to cause knocking in brisk acceleration if it already struggled with low octane because it would like a higher octane. But it would have to be an extreme concentration. I don't think a double shot will hurt and it might clean a bit more but 4 bottles or more in 15 gallons is likely a waste and would be better used throughout 60 gals.

APPLICATIONSTechron® Concentrate Plus, Complete Fuel SystemCleaner, is designed for gasoline carbureted or fuelinjected spark ignition engines. To keep the entire fuelsystem clean, use Techron Concentrate Plus, Complete Fuel System Cleaner, every 3,000 miles (4,800 km) orat scheduled oil change intervals, not to exceed twice per oil change. Recommended for use in:
• Spark ignition engines with gasoline, ethanol and gasoline/ethanol blends
• Direct injected gasoline engines (DISI)• Gasoline hybrid vehicles Suitable for use in:
• Gasoline two-stroke air-cooled engines (motorcycleor chainsaw)
• Gasoline two-stroke water-cooled engines(motorcycle or marine)
• Gasoline four-stroke lawnmower, motorcycle andmarine engines Will not harm catalytic converters and oxygen sensors.
Not recommended for diesel engines.

See PDS at https://www.chevronlubricants.com/e...Vs5FmAh1pLgYZEAAYASAAEgJ0Y_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

APPLICATIONSTechron® Concentrate Plus, Complete Fuel SystemCleaner, is designed for gasoline carbureted or fuelinjected spark ignition engines. To keep the entire fuelsystem clean, use Techron Concentrate Plus, Complete Fuel System Cleaner, every 3,000 miles (4,800 km) orat scheduled oil change intervals, not to exceed twice per oil change. Recommended for use in:
• Spark ignition engines with gasoline, ethanol and gasoline/ethanol blends
• Direct injected gasoline engines (DISI)• Gasoline hybrid vehicles Suitable for use in:
• Gasoline two-stroke air-cooled engines (motorcycleor chainsaw)
• Gasoline two-stroke water-cooled engines(motorcycle or marine)
• Gasoline four-stroke lawnmower, motorcycle andmarine engines Will not harm catalytic converters and oxygen sensors.
Not recommended for diesel engines.

See PDS at https://www.chevronlubricants.com/e...Vs5FmAh1pLgYZEAAYASAAEgJ0Y_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Yes I understand that's what they state but is there a reason why? I. E. Does it disintegrate the gas tank lining? The fuel lines etc? Fouls the oxygen sensors?

@MolaKule , I know there was discussion years ago about increased lead levels in UOA's after Techron. Do you ever remember if there was any conclusion as to why or if it was even an issue or more just an anomaly on the UOA's?

PEA is an amine and acts as a dispersant and cleaning agent.

I have never heard or read of any problems.
Ah, ok cool! I just recall lurking here a while back I think it was the "which product has most pea" and some members were talking about importing pure PEA from China suppliers whilst others were stating that too much PEA has side effects and one should not run it constantly. I just can't recall exactly which thread I saw that in.

Redline used to reccomend a maintenance dose.
3oz per 20 gallons.
It's safe to run every tank.

They changed this reccomendation because of marketing not efficacy.

@MolaKule , I know there was discussion years ago about increased lead levels in UOA's after Techron. Do you ever remember if there was any conclusion as to why or if it was even an issue or more just an anomaly on the UOA's?
But then so does Redline oil.

[QUOTE="I This only works if you have Chevron gas stations near you.
[/QUOTE]
It’s only a fraction of what the treatment brings anyway …

Buy chevron gas it has Techron already in it.

Switch to ;) SHELL Nitro.
It’s only marketing. I’ve tested european gas and diesel from Shell (V-power), BP (Ultimate) etc. Also I’ve tested BG, Techron, Archoil etc. I used BG deposit cleaner additives test kit for it. And PEA concentration in gas/diesel VS Cleaner 15x less in Ultimate (and polish Verva gas), V-Power was 40x less than BG 44K or Texaco Techron.

Last edited:
Back