Isopropyl Alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw your question...

IPA comes in varying degrees of quality...

Store grade versions can contain up to 20% water, IPA mixes well with water and is virtually impossible to identify. Denatured alcohol is considerably less in water content, I believe any you buy from HD or Lowes should list a range on water content..

Best bet for good IPA or DNA is to contact a local chemical manufacturer, you could get in 5 gal or 55 gal with a COA / product spec sheet whixh will give you a good range of how much water is in there.

In the past sober and or intoxicated I have tried..
IPA
Dnatured Alcohol D200 - D100
ethyl acetate
MEk

Back when we were spending $1/gal for IPA it would be ok to mix 20% or so.....BUT gas was only $.80/gal then...I think you will find out that any chemical that has a hydrocarbon backbone will be just as expensive as regular pump fuel.

Just don't pour some containers from the grovcery store in the fuel tank....you'll regret it!

Just for the [censored] of it I ran my dads old 1980 Kawasaki KL250 on rubbing alcohol. It was the cheap 70% stuff, and the bike refused to idle. It would sputter when it got to about 2/3 max RPM. The engine seemed to get pretty hot, and the exhaust smelled funny.

It didn't seem to hurt the bike, but I only ran it for about 10 miles that way because it was very unresponsive to ride.

I'd definitely not try to do it again.

What I am talking about is 99% pure isopropyl alcohol . how does it compare with other alternative fuels

lol! 99% IPA comes with fairly low calorific content, so why on-earth you want to run that as an alternative fuel?

Q./

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shup1
Just don't pour some containers from the grovcery store in the fuel tank....you'll regret it!

That's not really true. The 90% stuff burns great in engines, and acts as a cleaning/drying agent. I have in the past dumped a bottle of it in a near empty gas tank on my Jeep because I was afraid I couldn't make it to the station...it ran great.

Recently I had some bad gas in my lanwmower, so I added about 50% rubbing alcohol to the tank so it would start and I could burn it all. Right after that tank I disassembled the engine (already planned) and found the exhaust valve 100% clean, while the intake valve was covered in crust. The alcohol must have cleaned the exhaust valve. Also the thick layer of carbon on the head and piston was starting to flake off very easily, another result of the alcohol.

The point is, even if it does have 10% water it still works fine in most engines in some mix or another. You won't "regret" it. I would not however do the same thing with 70% rubbing alcohol.

But no, as straight fuel, IPA won't make much financial sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back