Is there a dye I can add to new oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would make checking the oil level easier after an oil change. It can be a PITA with new oil
mad.gif

It is possible to use the coloring dye that is used to dye candle wax. It is normally available at craft stores and is compatible with motor oil.

You can buy red dyed compressor oil for your ac to locate freon leaks. I don't know how well that would work, but I wouldn't think a few tablespoons would hurt anything.

Some dipsticks have holes drilled in them that make seeing brand new oil much easier. I like the idea of adding dye to new oil; it's a shame we have to pay $6 a quart to get purple oil. You guys may not have heard of Conklin synthetic oil, but it's a dark green color like the Simple Green cleaner.

I can sell you some diesel engine oil that's only lightly used.

Will darken the dipstick pretty quickly.

My dipstick is smooth and shiny, too. Can't see the level for thousands of miles after an OCI. So, I take the paper towel or a white napkin and lay it on the end of the dipstick, the stripe of oil on the stick shows me the level. Simple!

You could sand the shine off the dip stick so you can see the oil on it. That's what I had to do on my hot rod with an after market one.

I've taken a fine piece of emery cloth & buffed off the shine on the dipstick. Works very well.
cheers.gif

If there was a paint that would hold up in the crankcase, I'd say to paint the end of the stick white. However, the holes in the stick are a pretty good idea too. I have them in the tranny stick on a '92 Aerostar.

If you really wanted a dye you could possible add UV dye. I am sure all UV dye manufacturer make some UV dye or other for Engine oil. I have used traceline product in past with good sucess in finding leaks. Even though it is a UV dye it gives a small tint to oil. Added benefit would be if you have a oil leak it will be easier to find the source.

http://www.tracerline.com/dyesforfluids_application-specific.html

Thanks,

-Ankur

Quote:

If there was a paint that would hold up in the crankcase, I'd say to paint the end of the stick white. However, the holes in the stick are a pretty good idea too. I have them in the tranny stick on a '92 Aerostar.

I like having the dipsticks with the holes in them also. Here's what my stock Integra one looks like:
p3210054km1.jpg

Take the end of the dippy and pass it through a plumber's propane torch until it turns blue. Man, last thing I'd wanna do is dump dye or Shannow's old 15W40 in there! My dipstick is the worst I've even seen for telling what the level is and the napkin trick works well enough and isn't sufficient trouble that I'd screw around with dumping dye in there..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back