Is Royal purple worth the extra $$?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Royal Purple is a high quality product as shown by this test. It's price is more than justified by looking at the pictures. I don't mind paying for such quality & is why I put it in my new Hemi 2500 at 475 miles!

Last edited:
To break it all down, the original question was "Is Royal Purple worth the extra $$?" It seems that the correct answer is- It depends to whom you talk to-. Pretty simple.

My opinion on RP is anecdotal. I used it once in my 2003 3.3 Chrysler Minivan and for the only time in its life I experienced engine rattle on startup for from 5-10 seconds. It seemed it would all run down after the engine was shut off. This is the ONLY oil that did this in this car. Mostly I used Mobil 1 10W-30. When a deer totaled it it had over 250K on it and was running well.

Originally Posted By: aa1986
I had to come to this thread and post that I saw RP 5w20 for $1 a quart at Autozone.

The 15W40 was $1 a quart here to.

Oh boy, this all went south, and I missed the party. My take is this. RP has a fairly extensive line of products. Some are API licensed, some are not. I don't know what their base stocks are. I don't know what other people pay for them. I know I can get their products at sensible prices, relative to other main stream synthetic products. I saw Motul for $90 a jug the other day. RP for $9 or $10 a litre isn't a big deal in comparison, especially with M1 being $11 a litre at most locations.

I've used their products before (and still have it in my G37's differential) and I'll use it again. In some places, given geographical pricing and what's simply readily available, it's not cost effective. In some places, it is.

Always be cognizant of geography. I've heard many of my American friends complain about the price of Delvac 1 in their locales. Here, it's competitive with conventional, while everything else here is crazily expensive, and RP is sensibly priced. Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back