Is Pennzoil recycled oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No seriously though. I read that alot of the oil that gets recycled ends up as tar/asphalt. Most of the rest is used in boilers for heating purposes. A small percentage gets used and recycled as motor oil, probably as oil for fleets due to cheaper cost. I would seriously doubt Pennzoil is in any way recycled.

The problem is that not nearly as much oil gets recycled as is sold new. Oil recycling is important, and I would be glad to see it go towards something useful.

So we are still waiting for the punch line. I have read that Federal law is very strict on labeling rerefined oil as used.

GF-3 Havoline 5w20 and GF-3 Exxon Superflo 5w20 were VERY dark in color. It looked like used oil....but of course it was virgin oil.

Don't base quality of an oil by its color.

I'll tell ya where my used oil goes...

Right into the 10,000 gallon tank at work for the boiler, **** one could venture to say what I pour in there is a treat compared to what it burns. No car will ever make oil that looks like #5 Residual Fuel Oil, might as well just drop off crude barrels. I'm sure it would burn all the same.
lol.gif
Bruns through 40-50 gal. an hour at high fire.

One tank may last 3 days and computing the current price with our normal usage the cost this year will increase 3-4 fold.

Crude oil isn't a nice clear fluid that comes from the ground. Recycled oil starts out a lot cleaner.

What I'd like to know is why recycled oil is usually more expensive than oil that comes directly from crude (except when it's on sale at Zellers for $0.97/L).

Slightly used oil is supposed to be better at protecting your engine due to the fact the additives have been activated by slight use of the lubricant....kinda like a K&N air filter gets more efficient when a little dirty
gr_eek2.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Greaser:
Slightly used oil is supposed to be better at protecting your engine due to the fact the additives have been activated by slight use of the lubricant....kinda like a K&N air filter gets more efficient when a little dirty
gr_eek2.gif

No true again current re refined oils are refined about the same as virgin but just start out with an additives sysytem in them. after refineing the base oil is a virgin quality with NO original additives present. If anything they may have a higher flash point than virgin but that is about all. And I find that commpared to virgin they are about 10% cheaper in price.
bruce

Bruce, thanks for all the information that you have provided in your responses for this thread.

The physical properties for the Evergreen Re-refined GRP II Base Oils list the 4 cSt base oil appearance as bright & clear and typical color as
Since most of us are used to viewing PCMO's right out of the bottle at 2.0 or greater, a color rating of 0.5 for a re-refined base oil is indeed impressive!

I have a Pennzoil product data sheet in my file dated May 2002, and the ASTM D-1500 color is listed as 4.0 for 5W-20 and 5.0 for 5W-30 & 10W-30.

Most current GF-4 oils seem to fall into the 2.0-3.0 range.

I was never a fan of the "root beer" coloration generated by the additives in these darker oils.

Is this part of the origin of the "Pennzoil is made from re-refined oil myth?
smile.gif

Bruce381

I also want to express thanks for the helpful information you give on this forum. I especially appreciate your willingness to correct errors posted on it.

I know all are free to express their opinions but I like accuracy rather than guesses or postings done out of ignorance. That is where you and several others make this a forum worth the time taken to read it. Much Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by Thermo1223:
I'll tell ya where my used oil goes...

Right into the 10,000 gallon tank at work for the boiler, **** one could venture to say what I pour in there is a treat compared to what it burns. No car will ever make oil that looks like #5 Residual Fuel Oil, might as well just drop off crude barrels. I'm sure it would burn all the same.
lol.gif
Bruns through 40-50 gal. an hour at high fire.

One tank may last 3 days and computing the current price with our normal usage the cost this year will increase 3-4 fold.

Plants out here have started the change to Natural gas. Compared to #5 bunker fuel drian oil maybe cleaner LOL
smile.gif

bruce

Penzoil is not reclaimed oil. In fact Penzoil is packaged with Slick 50, so you know there is quality in every bottle. Any product, like Penzoil or it's brother Quaker State, that is up to Slick 50 standards can be poured with pride.

I got behind a doubble tanker yesterday that was full of bunker fuel. What a stink. I do know that they take Creosolt and mix it with used engine oil and tar, they treat telephone poles with it. DaveJ

I would understand why people might think Pennzoil is used oil. Really dark in color and smells like crap. I personally dislike the oil but I wouldn't go as far as to say it's used.

Sid,

When was the last time you opened a bottle of Pennzoil? It's ligter that honey and does not have a bad smell. Like Mikey use to say "try it, you will like it".
smile.gif

I believe I'm going to give the Pennzoil Platinum a few OCIs and see how my engines like it. I'm not one to want to frequently switch from brand to brand but when I see one like this POE and remembering the results people saw with GC I think I should use it and see how it does in my cars.

I'll check out which one rates A3/B3 since that is a standard I like to meet even though the maufacturer of my cars do not call for it. Better cannot hurt.

I never prefer just "Good enough" if better can be met.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back