Is it ok to store oil in a storage unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sold my house but have many (100+) quarts of oil that I am going to put in big plastic tubs, so that if they do leak it is contained. I don't expect to have a new house for another 6 months to a year, is there any issue with storing these in a storage unit? I don't think they are a fire risk, I'm thinking these would be ok. Any thoughts or experience?

I store mine in the garage and it gets hot/cold. Now so hot with these triple digit temps beating down. If stored for a period, just shake before pour... habit.

Not that the heat will harm the oil, but the thermal expansion will make it much more likely to seep out of some of the bottles depending on how they are packed and what sizes the bottles are. Still a good idea to put them in the plastic tubs.

I guess the question is oriented towards whether the oil poses a fire risk to the storage units and/or regulatory/storage company policy compliance. Not whether such storage would be healthy for the oil itself!
laugh.gif

Or did I read it wrong? :???

@lucaq: Good point. Although, there's usually a lot of room in the containers and the oil won't expand as much!

Last edited:
I know an environmental cleanup outfit that stored samples in a storage unit. They have to prove chain of custody, competence, etc.

If they can do it, you can do it.

I'd say it's ok. If the oil can last in an engine at high tempuratures for a year then they should be ok in a storage unit.

Thanks very much for the quick responses. The unit isn't air conditioned (wasn't able to get a CC unit), so my concern is more to fire risk, though I don't personally think it is an issue. I thought I had seen somewhere that it might be a banned substance from storage units. I definitely won't store gas, but probably my empty gas cans. I live in Charleston, SC where the temp doesn't get super high (usually high 80s to low 90s) but has a lot of humidity.

I am packing them in plastic tubs because I found at least 4 bottles had sprung leaks when I was taking them off the shelves. I don't know if they had gotten brittle or what, but I thought they were tougher than that. I'm glad to hear some others have stored it without issues. I don't plan to ask whether it is allowed or tell them I am storing it.

As long as you don't store dead bodies in the plastic tubs I doubt the storage place will care. They just want the monthly rent.

Why would it be unsafe? Do you know how hot it gets in those big semis that transport it from the refinery, store, etc? Seriously, it will be fine. Put it inside a garbage bag or something if you're THAT worried.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Why would it be unsafe? Do you know how hot it gets in those big semis that transport it from the refinery, store, etc? Seriously, it will be fine. Put it inside a garbage bag or something if you're THAT worried.

They don't spend 6 months to a year in those semis. But I think you are spot on with the trash bags, if they leaked out of their sealed plastic bottles a trash bag would almost certainly contain it. Those things never leak.

How hot could it possibly get in a storage unit? 150 F? Last I checked, oil temps of most passenger cars are 200+.

Originally Posted By: dparm

I can think of two reasons it might be unsafe. Imagine that every storage unit contained 25 gallons of oil (the OP's amount).

In the event of a fire, two problems might be:
-toxic smoke from the oil burning
-possible ground contamination from the oil seeping into the soil.

I would imagine that storage units have rules based on government fire codes AND department of environmental quality regulations.

I suppose if there are written rules and you violate them, you could be held liable for clean up costs, etc..

I am just making assumptions based on storage regulations at my workplace, an agricultural facility, where local fire departments have on file the chemicals we store in our buildings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back