Store Power Tools in Unheated Storage Unit

As part of listing and selling my home, I want to move my power tools from my mostly unheated garage (it never really gets below 45F) to a nearby storage unit, which won't be heated. I anticipate a few months of storage. Unfortunately, winter here in Colorado is coming.

Anyone see a problem with this? I know my lithium batteries shouldn't go, and I probably won't store my nail guns, but I want to store:

Contractor Table saw
Miter saw
Tile saw, etc.
Air compressor
Sanders, corded drills, etc.

Obviously I will not use them until they're acclimated again. Thanks for any advice.

My dad was born in the depression era and hoarded duplicates of corded power tools, amongst other things. I have some family visiting and we sorted through a bit of his stuff today and they got to pick what they wanted. Circular saws, a few scroll saws, drills, you name it. Many were low-mid tier black and decker. The only items that didn’t work were things like a knockoff boombox, and didn’t bother testing soldering irons. This stuff has been accumulated since 1994 and before, stored in a unheated, un air conditioning outbuilding in Central TX until today by chance. They are doing me a favor so I can move in my more modern stuff. I wouldn’t worry about your situation.

My dad was born in the depression era and hoarded duplicates of corded power tools, amongst other things. I have some family visiting and we sorted through a bit of his stuff today and they got to pick what they wanted. Circular saws, a few scroll saws, drills, you name it. Many were low-mid tier black and decker. The only items that didn’t work were things like a knockoff boombox, and didn’t bother testing soldering irons. This stuff has been accumulated since 1994 and before, stored in a unheated, un air conditioning outbuilding in Central TX until today by chance. They are doing me a favor so I can move in my more modern stuff. I wouldn’t worry about your situation.
I hear you about depression-era hoarding. My grandparents and to some extent parents were the same way - SE Colorado near the Oklahoma Panhandle border during the dust bowl years.

I appreciate the advice.

As part of listing and selling my home, I want to move my power tools from my mostly unheated garage (it never really gets below 45F) to a nearby storage unit, which won't be heated. I anticipate a few months of storage. Unfortunately, winter here in Colorado is coming.

Anyone see a problem with this? I know my lithium batteries shouldn't go, and I probably won't store my nail guns, but I want to store:

Contractor Table saw
Miter saw
Tile saw, etc.
Air compressor
Sanders, corded drills, etc.

Obviously I will not use them until they're acclimated again. Thanks for any advice.
If anything like the table saw has cast iron, be sure it is covered at a minimum. Better protection methods are also useful.

Last edited:
I never left the batteries out in the cold, but I generally store all of my tools in my garage. Here on the Canadian border we have at least one week each winter where the temperature never rises above roughly 25 below zero (Fahrenheit) and regularly weeks where it never rises above zero. Tools work just fine both during and after those cold snaps.

Last year we had about two weeks where the temps hung around near 35 below…I’ll admit that was a bit extreme and it got troublesome quickly for many locals and their businesses.

Tools that have no paint or chrome on them will rust in the damp air. Pliers and screwdriver bits are often the victims.

Back