Is Break-in Oil a myth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe Moss was 60 when he sold me my new 1968 Nova, 250 six cylinder, in Albemarle, NC. He ask me when I planned to change the oil the first time. He nixed my 500 mile plan and said to go at least 5000 miles on the factory fill. He also said to use striaght 20W oil. It still wore out. I had to rebuild the engine at 30 years and 325,000 miles. Must have been the 10W-30 and 5W-30 after straight 20W got hard to find. I wish they had put better weather stripping in that thing...

My take is that there may be no specific break-in oils. Manufactures do use a generous amount of brushed on/painted on special assembly lubracantes which become part of the oil during break-in. Subaru recomends a first oil change at 3,000 miles and "NOT" before 1,000 miles. UOAs on Subaru engines demonstrate that the wear metals i.e. break-in is fully completed at 4-6000 miles. I do not think Subaru engines are unique and most engines will require several thousand miles to fully break-in. JMO based on UOAs

quote:

Joe Moss was 60 when he sold me my new 1968 Nova, 250 six cylinder, in Albemarle, NC. He ask me when I planned to change the oil the first time. He nixed my 500 mile plan and said to go at least 5000 miles on the factory fill. He also said to use striaght 20W oil. It still wore out. I had to rebuild the engine at 30 years and 325,000 miles. Must have been the 10W-30 and 5W-30 after straight 20W got hard to find. I wish they had put better weather stripping in that thing...

Most entertaining post I've read in quite some time.
wink.gif

Bill in Utah wrote:

"If I buy $1 a quart dino oil (on sale) and change it out at 4k, you'd need to run on sale Syn ($4 a quart) out to 16k".

Bill, you sound like a pretty good guy which is why I want to get you into the 3K/Mo club.
grin.gif

There are many UOA's that show engines throw off wear metal indicators up to 10k miles and beyond. Many, many times on a UOA on a new engine you will see the comment that engine is still breaking in. Quite typically, new engines MPG takes 10k miles to start going up.

That's for gas engines. For diesels same applies except break-in takes twice as long.

As for Hondas and break-in oil, I notice a very high correlation between those who say change out oil early and not to use 5W-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back