Is Amsoil Really Worth The Money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to get this thread back on track. (not a flame towards pabs). Is Amsoil HDEO worth it??? Not sure on a price standpoint. Its worth for me in a few different ways:

- extended oci's
- good reputable company
- American Made
- buy everything I need at one place
- supports a small business that I buy from which is a mile down the road from where I live
- quality before profit attitude

Now I could go to my local tractor supply and run delo, rotella, or mystik and be ahead moneywise and run 10k oci with any of them, but I keep going back to Amsoil for the reasons I mentioned. Pricing has significantly gone up in the past year, but so has everything else.

Thanks Harley.

Well - I have long distance truck customers who are delighted with Amsoil AME 15W-40 performance and with the two year OCI's and by-pass filtration see pay back in 6 months (or even less) vs. conventional oils and conventional oil changes.

Sorry for the
32.gif
AFF thing, but I thought I was responding to Sprintman and Buster.

Hi,
Pablo - You said this;
"..........and with the two year OCI's and by-pass filtration see pay back in 6 months (or even less) vs. conventional oils and conventional oil changes."

Can you please show us your sums as I could NEVER see this return with my vehicles!

Doug they aren't my numbers they are the trucker's #'s. Below are very rough numbers. Oil change labor ~ $100+ (as I recall)

15 gallons of AME * $16 gallon ~ $240 (based on dealer price, commercial price is actually lower)

15 gallons of conventional oil * $8 gallon ~ $120 (based on Delo 400)

With conventional oil he was doing 15-20K OCI, so say 5 oil changes in 100K, $600 in oil alone. Plus the labor $500 and the down/idle time.

With Amsoil 50K or 100K or 200K+ mile OCI. Bypass set up ~$200, but there are other brands that push $1000. The one fellow's truck goes well over 100K/year and he changes the AME every two years. He does spend some money on filters and the oil for topping up for the filter volume. He does that himself.

Hi,
Pablo - Are you saying he gets 200k (miles) between oil changes?

What is the engine type & model?, what is the type of by-pass used? what is the the top up rate?, how much for UOAs? etc etc - there are probably other questions to be raised too of course

Last edited:
plus the guy asking this question is driving a ford f250 pickup i presume.
our company ( masonry contractor ) has a '96 f250 powerstroke that refuses 2 die.
pulls like a branded mule, she does.
i have loaded that thing so full with bricks, sand, mortar, overloaded by 50 % i am sure.
then it gets driven by different people all the time.
i have never seen on truck take so much abuse.
we have more like it.
they might burn a rear end, or a clutch, or need injectors, but those motors are tufff.
and they don't sip no fairy amsoil krapp either
( Just an expression )
seen em go way past oci time too when we r very busy

Yes.

It's 2006 pre-ULSD rig. I will get the particulars from him next week or so.

He is NOT running an Amsoil bypass system. I can't remember what brand it is called but he says it has see through element cannisters. He doesn't do UOA's too often and he says he goes by visual on the filter elements (?). He swears by the things but says it would be cool to put an Amsoil dual bypass after the other filters.

http://www.amsoil.com/testimonials/409000.aspx

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Pablo - Are you saying he gets 200k (miles) between oil changes?

What is the engine type & model?, what is the type of by-pass used? what is the the top up rate?, how much for UOAs? etc etc - there are probably other questions to be raised too of course
Doug you are asking complicated questions.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Pablo - And 200k miles on the lubricant.............?

Please see my post above. What IS the first word I typed?

I know you find it difficult and it's fine to be skeptical. I also posted a link for you to read about a guy who went 400K+ on the SAME lubricant.

Hi,
Pablo - Well the yes was a yes. Skeptical - yes! Can you publish any UOAs?

I have never seen any lubricant last out to 200k miles (320k kms) in a diesel engine in a "road use" engine. Usually the lubricant/engine condemnation factors are reached well prior to that - even when using any from a range of premium Commercially proven mineral/semi-synthetic/fully synthetic API Approved HDEOs from a variety of the major Oil Companies and when using supplementary filtration systems too

Last edited:
It has been a while but if I am recalling correctly, the average oil consumption was about 1 gallon per 8-10k miles on the OTR trucks here with conventional oil and about half that with synthetic. With a 11 gallon sump you would be refreshing all the oil in 88k - 110k miles using conventional; and with synthetic all the oil would have been replaced in 176k - 220k miles. So, no oil would make it to 400k miles as I see it.

My powerstroke 7.3 uses about 1 quart every 10k miles on Amsoil HHD 5w30.

Why do I use the 5w30 instead of the 15w40? On cold mornings my engine would still romp occasionally with the 15w40. Never had it romp on the 5w30. Also, I believe the fuel savings over the 15w40 is about 2 % and that pays for itself over 25k oil changes. Actually pays for itself in about half that compared to the 15w40 AME.

My oil analysis over 25k miles shows the 15w40 drops to a low 40w and the 5w30 stays a high 30w. The 5w30 is much more stable. Soot and tbn is never an issue with only 25k miles.

I drive about 20k miles a year or about 400 per week so my situation is similar to the original posters.

Originally Posted By: ozzmann
I have a 2006 F-250 with a 6.0 diesel engine. I use the Motorcraft 15w-40 diesel oil. I pay $9.89 at Walmart for 5 quarts. The Amsoil will be $20.00 a gallon with a $20.00 a year prefered membership. Will Amsoil really be better for my truck in the long run. I plan on driving this truck until the engine goes. I drive a bout 400 highway miles a week and tow occasionally? Thanks for any help.

I have a uoa from the same exact truck that we changed the oil at 22,000 miles and the oil sample was still good for continued use, using PCO Amsoil diesel oil.
it was worth it in fuel savings, the truck gets 22-28 mpg, from 8-14 mpg, the first 5000 miles of it's life.

Originally Posted By: wulimaster
It has been a while but if I am recalling correctly, the average oil consumption was about 1 gallon per 8-10k miles on the OTR trucks here with conventional oil and about half that with synthetic. With a 11 gallon sump you would be refreshing all the oil in 88k - 110k miles using conventional; and with synthetic all the oil would have been replaced in 176k - 220k miles. So, no oil would make it to 400k miles as I see it.

My powerstroke 7.3 uses about 1 quart every 10k miles on Amsoil HHD 5w30.

Why do I use the 5w30 instead of the 15w40? On cold mornings my engine would still romp occasionally with the 15w40. Never had it romp on the 5w30. Also, I believe the fuel savings over the 15w40 is about 2 % and that pays for itself over 25k oil changes. Actually pays for itself in about half that compared to the 15w40 AME.

My oil analysis over 25k miles shows the 15w40 drops to a low 40w and the 5w30 stays a high 30w. The 5w30 is much more stable. Soot and tbn is never an issue with only 25k miles.

I drive about 20k miles a year or about 400 per week so my situation is similar to the original posters.

my older ford diesel gave me the same experience going from AME to HDD.

A lot of pros and cons here, along with some good advice. In the end, use whatever product that will allow you to sleep at night knowing you have provided the best for your engine.

I use AMSOIL in everything right down to my lowly, but expensive, walk behind lawn mower. I usually sleep pretty good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back