Is Amsoil Really Worth The Money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the help. Dnewton made a very good point on value. I think I will just stick with regular oil and submit a UAO and go from their.

Thanks Again

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

Synthetics also offer some extreme enviornment abilities that a trump a conventional fluid. But, be careful here, because quite often these attributes are embraced for situations that NEVER come up. extreme heat isn't as big a deal as you think, because (presuming your cooling and lube systems are functioning as designed) you engine won't tyically see over 210dF anyway. I agree that synthetics perform better at these extremes, but since you RARELY IF EVER SEE THIS HAPPEN, it's an added benefit you'll not likely capitalize on.

how about the oil running through a REAL HOT turbo, such as on his 6.0? is that hot enough to damage a dino?

No the oil doesn't spend much time there.There are millions of cars and trucks with turbos and dino oil that do fine if operated properly. More than the heat is how the oil looks when it is returned to the sump. Whipped oil.

Hi,
takotruckin - Perhaps I am mistaken but this Thread is about "is Amsoil really worth the money"

Your question appears unrelated as there are many synthetic and mineral lubricants that operate very well indeed with turbochargers - like all Approved HDEOs for example

REAL HOT turbos easily show up to 1000F vis Pyrometers and mineral HDEOs do the job very well - and have done so for years

Last edited:
I have to agree..You're not really getting any extra protection from a synthetic unless you are in extreme cold or plan on going extended intervals...Normal oil change intervals it is doubtful a synthetic would make any difference in engine longevity.

There is another consideration. If you keep a car a long time you might consider synthetic oil a good investment. I've had a car for almost 41 years and have invested in a maintenance schedule that is very aggressive. A friend has a Civic that is 24 years old and last week he hit 400,000 miles and the head has never been off. He is a long time synthetic fluids user and his maintenance schedule reflects the idea that he will never sell this car and plans to drive it to his grave site. Many modern vehicles are better off being maintained to avoid having to open an engine up for a repair. Many mechanics and shops have not business trying to overhaul an engine. They are not qualified to do such work.

I want Amsoil to build the very best 0W40 they can. Why they havn't done it yet intrigues me. Amsoil guys please push this hard as you will be on a real winner. I'm sure you can build a beter oil than M1 0W40, PROVE IT TO ME!

Building a better oil than M1 0w-40 is no great task. They should instead make a good 0w-40, but the market would be better served by a their current 0w-30. Why do you need a 40w oil?

I agree that the heat of a turbo, gas or diesel, is over-rated as far as general use goes. There are always execptions such as race or highly-modified engines, but overall, turbo's aren't really that hard on oil.

The reason is that the exposure to the heat of a turbo is a very brief instant in the total cycle time of the oil. If you were to imagine one ounce of oil going through the total lube system, then it's exposure to the turbo becomes very infrequent. It's not unlike passing you hand over a lit candle. If you HOLD it there, you'll burn, but if you just gently pass over it, even somewhat slowly, you'll disipate the heat with the moving mass of your hand. Same thing happens with the oil. That's why I said that a PROPERLY operating engine with a functional lube and coolant system will likely NEVER see the "exteme" heat that synthetic oil manufuacturers want to warn us about.

The only time I consider turbo temp to be an issue is extended heat soaking upon shutdown. If you get the turbo really hot from a hard pull and then shut it off immediately, the turbo could scorch the oil. But the way around this is to always drive a short bit of "cool down" time, or allow the engine to idle a few minutes before shutting it down. This is only necessary if you really heat up the turbo; normal around town driving from day to day does NOT greatly heat the turbo. The best way to track this is with the use of a pyrometer. Generally, 1400 deg F is too hot during operation for extended periods of time. 900-1000 deg F is considered a good operating temp for a diesel, and idling a diesel can come down the less the 400 deg F in a very quick amount of time.

i get 13qts of amsoil delivered to my house for 69.00. before the recent prices increases- it used to be 63.00! i have an amsoil single bypass set up on my 04 cummins-so i routinely get 20,000 miles between oil changes.

Last edited:
no expert here, butt....

methinks the motorcraft a better deal.

i have seen more than a few ford diesels get the krapp kicked out of them ,and outlive the bodies they ride in ,with an oil like motorcraft (in our case NAPA). forget the UOA's and whatnot, follow the interval in the manual. you might wreck the truck or change your mind over time. its not like it is harrd to get under that truck and change oil anyway.
or do the Amsoil merry-go-round. to me over time it is a wash.
saving money today is a good thing. u need it for fuel

The U.S may be better served by a 0W30 but 'better served' I would argue with. The world wants a better 0W40 from Amsoil, they need to realise they are playing in a worlwide market, not just the U.S. I wait with bated breath as I know they can do it..s

Originally Posted By: sprintman
The U.S may be better served by a 0W30 but 'better served' I would argue with. The world wants a better 0W40 from Amsoil, they need to realise they are playing in a worlwide market, not just the U.S. I wait with bated breath as I know they can do it..s

Many people feel M1 0w40 is the best 0w40 on the market and if Amsoil were to make a 0w-40 that met the same requirements as M1, it would look just like it. I'm with you though, a 0w40 would be nice.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Pablo - This thread is about HDEOs - what has the 0w-40 product you proffer got to do with this?

Hi,

Doug - because sprintman wrote this:

Originally Posted By: sprintman
The U.S may be better served by a 0W30 but 'better served' I would argue with. The world wants a better 0W40 from Amsoil, they need to realise they are playing in a worlwide market, not just the U.S. I wait with bated breath as I know they can do it..

And buster brought up M1 0W-40.

Originally Posted By: buster
Many people feel M1 0w40 is the best 0w40 on the market and if Amsoil were to make a 0w-40 that met the same requirements as M1, it would look just like it. I'm with you though, a 0w40 would be nice.

Thanks,

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back