Internet Service Problem or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, I can't stress how important quality equipment is. I can honestly say that many times ISPs give plain and simple garbage to end users and they suffer each and every month. People in my neighborhood keep upgrading their packages paying $170+ a month and still complain on how slow their internet is. I work with them, have them purchase their own modem, ensure the cabling is done right and looks good, and then set them up with a quality firewall and access points. Then for most people we bump them back down to 15x1mb and they're happier than ever.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if DNS isn't an issue, then maybe your gateway is on its way out.

Originally Posted By: redhat
Also, I can't stress how important quality equipment is. I can honestly say that many times ISPs give plain and simple garbage to end users and they suffer each and every month. People in my neighborhood keep upgrading their packages paying $170+ a month and still complain on how slow their internet is. I work with them, have them purchase their own modem, ensure the cabling is done right and looks good, and then set them up with a quality firewall and access points. Then for most people we bump them back down to 15x1mb and they're happier than ever.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if DNS isn't an issue, then maybe your gateway is on its way out.

Yup, this is quite true. The performance difference between some junk provided gear and something of decent quality can be huge.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
You do not want to manually set the ip address and gateway manually. It really won't let you set custom DNS servers without manually setting the ip? This is the problem with ISP owned routers/gateways.

The modem I'm using is an "ActionTec DSL Gateway", model GT704WG. It has wireless capability, but I'm using a hard wired network connection.

I bought the modem myself many years ago, it's not owned by CenturyLink (my service provider). The ActionTec was raved to be a good unit then, and it has seemed to work flawlessly for years.

So does this effect on how or if I can set the server addresses as recommended by redhat?

On the link I sent, keep the bubble on "Obtain an IP Address Automatically" and then put the second bubble on "Use the following DNS server addresses".

Then key in the two Google Public DNS.

I will try this tonight when I have time and see what happens ... thanks!

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
http://www.mediacollege.com/internet/troubleshooter/traceroute.html

Thanks for that link. I will try this test next time I can't load pages and the bottom bar message is saying "Waiting for bobistheoilguy.com ..."

Would like to try the traceroute test before trying the change in DNS server address settings in Windows as suggested by redhat.

I dont disagree with redhat's suggestions but its not solving the problem but going around it. Personally I would try to find out what the issue is. The 2nd thing I would do if you are comfortable with it, is get a standalone modem and get your own router. I have never been a fan of gateways (modem +router in one)
I realize you did purchase it yourself but there is a reason why providers offer these devices on a large scale and its because not everyone is inclined with IT and these devices are made so providers have access (remotely set up wifi for its customers etc..) Your provider should be able to provide you with a standalone modem, which would allow for you to hook up a router to. I would check with your provider and see if they notice anything from their end and if not try traceroute and see where its timing out. Then 3rd..ask provider for standalone and get your own router. Let us know how it goes!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
+1 I am a big proponent of OpenDNS
smile.gif

Mint set it up automatically that way for me! That's been done at the office boxes, too.

I ran routetrace per the instruction that were provided. Here's the results. Funny thing is right before I ran these routetrace tests, I could get on both of the sites I tested (bobistheoilguy.com and msn.com). So what's this test indicating, if anything?

TraceRouteTest1.jpg

TraceRouteTest3.jpg

Looks like your modem/router may be blocking ICMP, which means tracert won't work.

Can I change settings in the DLS gateway without compromising anything else?

On the link I sent, keep the bubble on "Obtain an IP Address Automatically" and then put the second bubble on "Use the following DNS server addresses".

Then key in the two Google Public DNS.

I just did this change and things seem to be working well so far, and speedtest.net test looks normal for my service. Will run this way and see if the showdown shows up again.

Looks like your modem/router may be blocking ICMP, which means tracert won't work.

Yes, if they will let you. That option may not be accessible as I am not intimately familiar with this device.

Yes, if they will let you. That option may not be accessible as I am not intimately familiar with this device.

Any idea what setting I should use to unblock ICMP? I will log-on to my ActionTec gateway (modem/router) and look at what settings I see for ICMP.

So last night after setting the network up in Windows to use the two Google Public DNS Servers are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as suggested, I did notice the slow down again later that night. I had about 4 tabs open in Firefox and did a refresh on 3 of them. They were all just sitting there churning away and no activity seen on the network monitor in Task Manager. I just let them churn, and about 5~6 minutes later they finally loaded up. It will behave that way for awhile, then all of a sudden start working normally again.

I did however notice the CPU was loaded up pretty good. Not sure if that was related to tabs trying to update or not. I didn't have anything else running and don't think there were an auto updates or scanning going on with Bitdefender Free or Malwarebytes PRO which are both running real-time.

I do notice when I run speedtest.net late at night that my speeds are down some, and even though they are, the network still works OK for most internet surfing. I don't think that is causing it to churn for 5+ minutes when it goes into the mode.

So setting the network to use the Google Public DNS Servers are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 didn't seem to make any difference.

What was using the CPU the most under the Processes tab?

I don't recall, but when it goes into this slow mode again I'll look and take note. All I had running at the time was Firefox with 4 tabs open and Malwarebytes PRO and Bitdefeder Free are also running real-time.

So around midnight last night I encountered the big slow down again. Did a refresh on 3 tabs in Firefox and all three sat there and churned for ~5 min at the same time with near zero activity shown on the network in Task Manager. The CPU activity was all due to Firefox probably trying to refresh the tabs while the network was dead. On all three tabs I saw the message: "Waiting for xxxxx.com ..."

Then when the network came back, all 3 tabs refreshed simultaneously. Then from that point forward everything worked fine for 15~20 min then got another slow down period. I never rebooted the modem or computer during all of this.

I think this is definitely a problem with my internet provider CenturyLink. Will be calling them today and see what they have to say.

Spent about an hour on the phone with a CenturyLink tech. He did some testing on his end and said nothing looked abnormal and nobody else has called in about slow service in my area. Also tested the phone line from his end and says it looked normal.

He thinks my modem or network card in the computer is going flaky ... could be. He said it's only putting out ~85% on the upload. I don't know if that explains why my service basically goes dead for 5 min at a time while webpages are churning trying to refresh, then goes back to what seems normal. Only way to know for sure would be to buy a new DSL modem and see if that cures the issue.

I'm thinking of just buying a whole new computer system soon anyway since all my stuff is pretty old. Ready to blow $1500+ to get something high end performance wise that will last a good long time.

I know you have probably done all this, but periodic interruptions in DSL can be caused by electronic interference in the house. Even things like motion-sensor lights, cordless phones and microwaves can cause issues. A good way to try and isolate that is to connect your modem directly to the NID and run a (short as possible) piece of CAT 5 back to your computer. This is sometimes described as a "home run", but that generally means putting a whole-house DSL splitter in very close to the NID, with the modem immediately after. Then you connect the modem to your router and the longest runs of cable are CAT 5.

When the DSL signal is allowed to run through the sometimes mess of telephone wires in a house this can allow interference. Locating a splitter as near to the incoming wire as possible, and converting the DSL signal there can help.

I have seen on dslreports.com where people who are experiencing issues just like you are seeing have correlated the timing of the interruptions with some activity within their house.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
A good way to try and isolate that is to connect your modem directly to the NID and run a (short as possible) piece of CAT 5 back to your computer. This is sometimes described as a "home run", but that generally means putting a whole-house DSL splitter in very close to the NID, with the modem immediately after. Then you connect the modem to your router and the longest runs of cable are CAT 5.

My set-up uses one NID between the computer and phone jack in the wall - that is a "DSL Gateway", in this case an ActionTec model GT704WG.

My DLS gateway/modem setup has always been hard wired with Cat5 (~5 ft long) between the gateway and the computer. This gateway is wireless capable, but I have it shut off. I only use the wireless if someone with a laptop needs to connect to the internet. I have checked all the cable connections on the phone line and Cat5 line - all seem good.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
When the DSL signal is allowed to run through the sometimes mess of telephone wires in a house this can allow interference. Locating a splitter as near to the incoming wire as possible, and converting the DSL signal there can help.

The CenturyLink tech guy on the phone supposedly tested the phone line up to my house and said it was OK. It's possible something is wrong with the telephone wiring in the house, but it would have to be an intermittent problem that just started a week or so ago. My telephone service seems to work OK all the times I've used it.

I'm starting to think it is my DSL gateway/modem slowly going out - it's getting pretty old. The CenturyLink tech guy was amazed it's still working. Today I had 4 tabs in Firefox all trying to refresh and they were all grinding away for a couple minutes with no network activity seen in Task Manager. I power cycled the ActionTec and it seemed like that fixed the issue and I could then reload all those tabs.

Since I'm not ready to go buy a whole brand new computer system yet (I need to do lots of research), I guess I'll go buy a new DSL modem for $70 and give that a try. ActionTec GT784WN looks to be a good one these days - in stock at Best Buy and only a few bucks more than on-line so I'll go get one locally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back