Inmates Sue Beer, Wine Cos. for $1B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh please. Like the companies that manufactured it held you down and forced you to drink it.

Or the company you worked for gave you money which allowed you to buy it.

Frivolous lawsuits are a bane.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skate1968
There really ought to be some penalty for the lawyers who are entertaining this nonsense.

I believe there is. It's call "afterlife".

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I hope this gets thrown out.

Actually when they do throw this FRIVOLOUS lawsuit out, they should bring new charges against the inmates and the lawyer that brought this suit.

I would like to see arrogant bums like this stay for a few more years for their "using" the system in an attempt to gain. Oh and the lawyer should get some years in prison too for this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Thanks for posting, DW and Kruse.

It really is disgusting, isn't it. There really ought to be some penalty for the lawyers who are entertaining this nonsense.

Who decides what is "nonsense"? Slippery, slippery, slope!

Let's pretend this will come before a judge and will be dismissed as quickly as possible. I am sure that a vast majority of frivolous lawsuits result in little more than a nominal waste of the court's time and the people's money. The exceptions do, and should, make big news; but the only alternative is to have some authority (!) pre-determining (which'd also take time and money) who can bring about civil action. That's scary in an Orwellian sorta way.

+1; maybe we should have internet forums judge the merit of everyone's lawsuit.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
There really ought to be some penalty for the lawyers who are entertaining this nonsense.

I believe it's called "making stuff up". They have no lawyer, they're filing the suit themselves. Our civil justice system provides opportunities for stupid stuff like this, but it seems a lot better than the alternatives. It'll get immediately tossed with no fanfare, but it sure won't stop the "righteous indignation" crowd from complaining about lawyers and the legal system.

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
I can't believe Jim Beam isn't on the dexos1™ approved list.

I think they got hung up on the whole royalty fee thing...

Originally Posted By: JOD
Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
I can't believe Jim Beam isn't on the dexos1™ approved list.

I think they got hung up on the whole royalty fee thing...

They should sue!

Even lawyers seem to be staying away from this one. From the end of the article:

"The inmates do not have an attorney, but Boise attorney Joe Filicetti told ABC News affiliate KIVI that alcohol addiction and its side effects are pretty common knowledge."

Don't most prisons have in-house AA meetings or treatment programs? Maybe the judge will remind them of that as the case is being dismissed.

I'm guessing that nobody else posting in this thread has any experience with inmates.
This is what inmates do.
They have plenty of time on their hands and very little real work to do, so some of the smarter ones among them cook up legal actions.
Doesn't mean that they'll get to first base with their filing.
Every prison in this country has a law library for the inmates to use.
Some file appeals that have no chance of going anywhere, while some file lawsuits that have the same propects.
Based upon fifteen years of experience with prison inmates, I can't say that I'm surprised that these guys filed this suit.
Creative and clever, even if certain to get dismissed.
Too bad these guys don't find more constructive outlets for their creativity, like how they're going to keep themselves out once they get out.
Alcohol doesn't make the felon, the man drinking it does.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Too bad these guys don't find more constructive outlets for their creativity, like how they're going to keep themselves out once they get out.

I'm guessing that they will become lawyers.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

I'm guessing that they will become lawyers.

Yup!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judge_Mathis

Quote:

As a young man, Greg Mathis was involved with gangs, dropped out of school, spent time behind bars. Growing up as a gang member and heroin dealer in the mean streets of Detroit, Michigan, Mathis had done plenty of time in juvenile detention centers before age 17. All this changed when a judge gave him an ultimatum of: either get a G.E.D. or go to jail. At the same time, Mathis found out his mother was dying of cancer. Rushing to her side, he promised her he'd turn his life around and so did: he attended college; passed the bar and earned a law degree; became the youngest judge in Michigan’s history and then served as a Superior Court Judge for Michigan’s 36th District.

Usually there's a filing fee for suing someone, but it can be waived for prisoners as they're "destitute".
wink.gif

Well said.

Originally Posted By: JOD, edited
...They have no lawyer, they're filing the suit themselves..... [edit]

Thanks for pointing this out. Truthfully, i find that reassuring. I find it reassuring that no lawyer would take their case.

I confess that i did not read the full article. I just read a few lines and flew off.

my bad

icon_salut.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back