Inmates Sue Beer, Wine Cos. for $1B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Five Idaho inmates are blaming alcohol for the crimes that put them in prison and are suing some of the nation's top liquor and wine companies for $1 billion.
Keith Allen Brown, Steven Thompson, Woodrow Grant, Cory Baugh and Jeremy Brown all claim that alcohol led them to their crimes and they should have been warned of the beverages' addictive nature.
"If I was not an alcoholic, the shooting would never have happened," Jeremy Brown said in his affidavit. Brown, 34, is serving a 20- to 30-year sentence for a 2001 shooting that seriously injured a man.
The plaintiffs' crimes range from manslaughter to grand theft. They are currently serving time at Idaho's Kuna facility.
Their lawsuit, filed in Boise's U.S. District Court last month, targets eight defendants, including Anheuser-Busch, Coors, Miller Brewing and the owner of Jim Beam whiskey, American Brands. The inmates claim the companies are responsible for their crimes and should have put warning labels on their products.
"I have spent a great deal of that time in prison because of situations that have arose because of people being drunk, or because of situations in which alcohol played a major role," Jeremy Brown said in his affidavit. "At no time in my life, prior to me becoming an alcoholic, was I ever informed that alcohol was habit forming and addictive."
Keith Brown is serving a 15-year prison sentence after shooting a man to death five years ago. Baugh and Thompson are both serving 3 to 7-years for grand theft and drug convictions. And Grant is serving up to 7-years for drug and aggravated battery convictions.
All five men share the same story about booze.

http://news.yahoo.com/idaho-inmates-sue-beer-wine-companies-1b-190211526--abc-news-topstories.html

Belly on up to the bar, boys! Because as a taxpayer, we are footing the bill and these guys will be getting a round on the house.

Hi folks,

I was hesitant to post this. As i think it's completely stupid.

I take this as: "It's not my fault that i became a crimal. It's the companies that make alcohol. It's their fault not mine."

It angers me. Anyways, that's my complaint for today.
f23ptl.jpg

Thanks for reading.

smile.gif

Thanks for posting, DW and Kruse.

It really is disgusting, isn't it. There really ought to be some penalty for the lawyers who are entertaining this nonsense.

Anyways, again, i appreciate your two cents.

icon_salut.gif

Only in America!

Then a few years later they will try similar in the UK.

Inmates in the UK already sue for "breaches" in their Human Rights.

Pity they didn't consider the Human Rights of their victims.

Victim complex seems to be a real issue worldwide.

Does nobody think they should be responsible for their own actions anymore?

Alcohol doesn't make you behave any different but it can reduce inhibitions and exaggerate feelings, hence if you are sad and drink you might feel even sadder or if you are angry and drink you might end up in a pointless fight.

Or my favourite if you are an arsehole you use the excuse of alcohol consumption to act like a petulant child.

This is not a far evolution from suing a 21 year old for furnishing a place for an 18 year old to drink and having that 18 year old adult do something for which they don't feel responsible.

Many Tea-totallers don't mind the lawsuits, as they feel no punishment is enough so long as illegal drinking continues.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Well, I might sue Budweiser for the trauma induced by the crazy girls I've woken up with!

grin2.gif
grin2.gif
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: bigjl

This is it in a nutshell.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

This is it in a nutshell.

01.gif
25.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Only in America!

Then a few years later they will try similar in the UK.

Inmates in the UK already sue for "breaches" in their Human Rights.

Pity they didn't consider the Human Rights of their victims.

Victim complex seems to be a real issue worldwide.

Alcohol doesn't make you behave any different but it can reduce inhibitions and exaggerate feelings, hence if you are sad and drink you might feel even sadder or if you are angry and drink you might end up in a pointless fight.

Or my favourite if you are an arsehole you use the excuse of alcohol consumption to act like a petulant child.

Back in the day. When you went to prison, You lost all your rights. I thought that how it was supposed to happen when in prison. You [censored] up and go to prison and pay for you actions "PERIOD"

Originally Posted By: skate1968

It really is disgusting, isn't it. There really ought to be some penalty for the lawyers who are entertaining this nonsense.

Who decides what is "nonsense"? Slippery, slippery, slope!

Let's pretend this will come before a judge and will be dismissed as quickly as possible. I am sure that a vast majority of frivolous lawsuits result in little more than a nominal waste of the court's time and the people's money. The exceptions do, and should, make big news; but the only alternative is to have some authority (!) pre-determining (which'd also take time and money) who can bring about civil action. That's scary in an Orwellian sorta way.

Originally Posted By: skate1968

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Who decides what is "nonsense"? Slippery, slippery, slope!

Let's pretend this will come before a judge and will be dismissed as quickly as possible. I am sure that a vast majority of frivolous lawsuits result in little more than a nominal waste of the court's time and the people's money. The exceptions do, and should, make big news; but the only alternative is to have some authority (!) pre-determining (which'd also take time and money) who can bring about civil action. That's scary in an Orwellian sorta way.

Hi UC50,

i appreciate your thoughts.

i'm a tax guy and i just got my guy [who's actually a corporation] off out of a bunch of nonsense charges. i did this without even showing up for the "hearing."

kind of a long story, kind of a boring story. it wasn't the IRS but the city.

in laymans terms, it'd be like the IRS coming after someone's two year old son for 5,000 in unpaid tax from his business. absolutely preposterous and it shouldn't have gone as far as it did.

anyhoo, i was feeling a bit self righteous when i posted the above.

rant over,

icon_salut.gif

If they win, I am suing for the number of empties I pick up in my yard each day.

ref

PS- Not my empties, those that are left by the joyous people walking by my property after finishing.

Last edited:
I got a kick out of it. Nothing better to do in prison eh? Maybe they should go back to stamping license plates or breaking rocks in the hot sun. But you guys forget that millionaires own those corporations and they are evil and not paying their fair share.

The President told me so.
crackmeup2.gif

I'm no legal expert, but no judge will even let this go anywhere. It is considered common knowledge what alcohol does to the human body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back