inflator with tire pressure gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always pump my tires using a bicycle pump. My bicycle pump doesn't have a built in tire pressure gauge so I have to pump, remove, check, repeat etc. I know they got built in tire pressure gauge for those compressors like at gas stations. Do they have something I could attach so I could see the tire pressure is while I pump. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
It probably wouldn't be worth it. I just use an accurate digital gauge and a bicycle pump. I just check the initial pressure, overfill, and then let the air out until I reach my target pressure. I get a bit of exercise and it takes less time trying to alternate between the pump and gauge.

The ones built-in at gas station compressors aren't very accurate. I have a fairly accurate dial gauge built-in to a bicycle pump (A Silca "Pista"), but the chuck is for the narrower presta valve. I could probably get a chuck that's compatible with car sized Schraeder valves.

In my experience built in gauges in my inflators(I have two)aren't very accurate. Don't rely on it. They only give approximate measure. I would strongly suggest re-checking pressure with the proper gauge, every time. That's what I do.

Quote:

I have a fairly accurate dial gauge built-in to a bicycle pump (A Silca "Pista"), but the chuck is for the narrower presta valve. I could probably get a chuck that's compatible with car sized Schraeder valves.

I thought I was the only one who used a Silca to top up car tires. I have an "old school" orange one with the world champion bands on it, and I installed a Shraeder head on it. This is not a newer "pista" high pressure deal with the wide wood handle (which I have for my good tubular/clincher presta valved bike tires), it's the old one with the small black plastic handle which is not ideal for high volume auto tires, but it works, albeit with A LOT of "exercise".
laugh.gif

Quote:

Quote:

I have a fairly accurate dial gauge built-in to a bicycle pump (A Silca "Pista"), but the chuck is for the narrower presta valve. I could probably get a chuck that's compatible with car sized Schraeder valves.

I thought I was the only one who used a Silca to top up car tires. I have an "old school" orange one with the world champion bands on it, and I installed a Shraeder head on it. This is not a newer "pista" high pressure deal with the wide wood handle (which I have for my good tubular/clincher presta valved bike tires), it's the old one with the small black plastic handle which is not ideal for high volume auto tires, but it works, albeit with A LOT of "exercise".
laugh.gif

That's exactly what I've got. I've bought two over the years. The rubber sleeve inside the chuck wore out on my first one, and I replaced it. Most of the repair parts are readily available at bike shops. I stored that in a room at work where we'd keep bikes, but it got lost when they started storing additional junk and I couldn't figure out where it went. I still have my second one. That design was so simple, durable, and easy to repair. It wasn't like their frame-fit pump, which resisted efforts to pump above 80 PSI and had a lousy plastic body that cracked easily. I had it shoot through a few times where the pressure would cause the body to fly away from the head. For that use, I preferred a Zefal HP-X, which had a twist ring that locked out the spring when I needed to pump and a head that could easily be switched from presta to Schrader. I tried using the Zefal to pump a car tire once and gave up.

I actually use a $12 Schwinn branded (made by a third party) floor pump for my car. It's got a wide barrel and pumps rather quickly. I think it also has a sleeve that can be turned around for a presta valve. 20 strokes adds around 5 PSI to my 205/55R16 tires.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

laugh.gif

That's exactly what I've got. I've bought two over the years. The rubber sleeve inside the chuck wore out on my first one, and I replaced it. Most of the repair parts are readily available at bike shops. I stored that in a room at work where we'd keep bikes, but it got lost when they started storing additional junk and I couldn't figure out where it went. I still have my second one. That design was so simple, durable, and easy to repair. It wasn't like their frame-fit pump, which resisted efforts to pump above 80 PSI and had a lousy plastic body that cracked easily. I had it shoot through a few times where the pressure would cause the body to fly away from the head. For that use, I preferred a Zefal HP-X, which had a twist ring that locked out the spring when I needed to pump and a head that could easily be switched from presta to Schrader. I tried using the Zefal to pump a car tire once and gave up.

I actually use a $12 Schwinn branded (made by a third party) floor pump for my car. It's got a wide barrel and pumps rather quickly. I think it also has a sleeve that can be turned around for a presta valve. 20 strokes adds around 5 PSI to my 205/55R16 tires.

Yeah, I hear you on the Silca frame fits. I have one from when I started racing in the early '70s, and only use it to partially inflate tubes/tubulars when first mounting them onto rims. Then I use the black "Superpista" to fully inflate them. Out on the road I use CO2 cart., I HATE carrying a pump on the frame!!

Thanks for the replies. I know the gauge built in is not as accurate as a separate gauge. Some of those pumps with the gauge built in I've seen are like 50-70 dollars but they are probably better quality. Plus they have both the shrader (same as car tires) and presta. My mountain bike of course has the same as the car tire valve so have no need for the presta. My current pump ~10+ years old does about 5 pumps per psi for most auto tires. I think its time to get a new tire pump. Those Silca pumps look nice, must be expensive. Is it true that pumps rated at higher psi like 150 versus 100 would be less effort to pump? That means fewer strokes needed to pump the same amount of air.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I were buying something exclusively for car tires, I would look for high volume at low pressure. Which is exactlythe opposite of bike tires (low volume at high pressure). IF you can find a pump that accomplishes this, it would be the most efficient/easiest, quickest fill. The only reason I use the Silca is because I already had it from the past.

Walmart 12V Campbell Hausfield with autoshutoff works wonderfully for me. I carry it with me w/ a tire repair kit for on-the-road jack-free nail removal and repair.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back