increasing bass/treble on A/V reciever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the flat response is at 0, then going into the positive territory will increase it.

By the way, your Yamaha has two controls for it. One is the standard bass/treble that applies to all channels. The other one is the graphic EQ which allows to adjust 7 bands of frequencies individually for each channel.

+ typically means "raise" or "boost", where - typically means "lower" or "Defeat".

Another way to find out is to listen to it while you adjust your bass/treble.

*grin*

Q.

Hook up some Cerwin-Vegas and it will sound better.

I wouldn't lie to ya, bra. had experience with Onkyo receivers, perhaps one Denon, and the Cerwins were hooked up to an old school 4x100watt Akai. Nice sound.

I always tune for treble first, seeing how it sounds when you tune it "down" if you don't lose the whole song.. THEN boost up the bass.

I know, this thread isn't about loudspeakers. But Yamaha was always pretty good.

THX? Dolby 5.1? What we got?

Just turn it to 11, that's what I do:

spinaltap-11.jpg

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Just turn it to 11, that's what I do:

spinaltap-11.jpg

Yea!..old school,, thats what I'm used too. Not the dB stuff. Anyway thanks for the info everyone. It just seems confusing since turning up the volume the -25dB gets lower.

Originally Posted By: Blaze
It just seems confusing since turning up the volume the -25dB gets lower.

Because you're in the negative territory. The standard way of scaling the volume knob is to have 0 at the end (aka your reference level). Anything below will be negative. It doesn't get "lower". It just gets closer to 0 as you increase the volume. -25dB is higher than -30dB, not lower.

Think of it this way: At 0 volume, you are at your max/reference volume level. -30dB means you're 30dB away from max. When you increase the volume to -25dB, you are now only 25dB away from max.

(yes, I know it'll go past 0, too, but you may encounter harmful distortion/clipping there).

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Blaze
It just seems confusing since turning up the volume the -25dB gets lower.

Because you're in the negative territory. The standard way of scaling the volume knob is to have 0 at the end (aka your reference level). Anything below will be negative. It doesn't get "lower". It just gets closer to 0 as you increase the volume. -25dB is higher than -30dB, not lower.

Think of it this way: At 0 volume, you are at your max/reference volume level. -30dB means you're 30dB away from max. When you increase the volume to -25dB, you are now only 25dB away from max.

(yes, I know it'll go past 0, too, but you may encounter harmful distortion/clipping there).
thanks Quatto Pete!...explained it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back