Impractical vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Chris142
a compass aint a real jeep!

As far as suv's vs a jeep. A suv wont go any of the places i can take my stock jeep.

http://www.expeditionswest.com/equipment/reviews/patriot

"The Patriot is without question the best OHV performer in it's class and also has great highway performance and 30mpg economy. I am not suggesting that the Patriot is a replacement for a Rubicon Unlimited or Toyota Tacoma on the trail, or a Toyota Land Cruiser for a Round The World Expedition, but it will provide a great ride, value, economy and rugged track performance for the buyer. I would not hesitate to take the Patriot on the White Rim Road, or El Camino Del Diablo, loaded full of gear. This segment is about providing value, and for the first time, there is an option that also provides performance on the trail."

I've always liked the Patriot. It's a cool little rig.

I like the new Cherokee too (even though it's ugly). The Trailhawk kicks bum.

Hence the slogan: "Its a Jeep thing You wouldn't understand"

I still have my '78 Jeep CJ7 I had in highschool. It is not practical but does exactly what it was intended for. There simply is no equal to it for it's intended purpose.

I thought my NX Coupe was a totally impractical vehicle - just a 2 seater with a small back seat, a bit pointless I thought. But now it's my personal transport (when I'm not on my bike) I've found it's a bit more practical than I thought. For just one person it's all I need, but with the back seat down I can fit some big stuff in there - it will take an empty 209 litre (45 gal) drum, the lawnmower fits in, so does the weed eater. My previous vehicle was a 7 seater Mitsubishi Pajero, I never expected the NX could be as useful, but it's far better than I thought.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: MCompact
In 2002 I bought a 1999 Wrangler Sahara in order to nullify a potential line of attack from a political opponent.

You need to elaborate on this...

I anticipated that my opponent would bring up the fact that I didn't drive an American-made vehicle; the Wrangler stopped that tactic in its tracks.
What a disappointment! I was hoping for lot more juicy details :)

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
I've always liked the Patriot. It's a cool little rig.

I like the new Cherokee too (even though it's ugly). The Trailhawk kicks bum.

I drove a Patriot. It actually managed to do NOTHING well. It was a cramped, poor-handling, poor-riding penalty box that I could not wait to get out of!

On a side note, I saw a Jeep Patriot concept. Red with TJ rubicon alloys with a srt4 turboed engine. No articulation whatsoever, but still very cool. Its on Youtube.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

I still have my '78 Jeep CJ7 I had in highschool. It is not practical but does exactly what it was intended for. There simply is no equal to it for it's intended purpose.

My point exactly: "for its intended purposes". Not saying a Jeep is a bad vehicle. For the average Joe not wanting to go deep into the Outback on a wild safari, there are many capable 4x4 vehicles that, in addition to having 4wd, can haul passengers and cargo more capably and comfortably, thus offering more versatility than just offroad capability of the Jeep.

Once in a while I want one with a PTO. Apparently right after the war they tried to market the contraption to farmers; you could buy plows and sickle bars etc. I don't think it went well.

Originally Posted By: supton
Once in a while I want one with a PTO. Apparently right after the war they tried to market the contraption to farmers; you could buy plows and sickle bars etc. I don't think it went well.

You bet! Lots of interesting info if you google "Farm Jeep":
kw1706.jpg

Jeeps are impractical? I had no idea.

That being said, I'd still love to own an older one.

Originally Posted By: otis24
Originally Posted By: GMBoy

My point exactly: "for its intended purposes". Not saying a Jeep is a bad vehicle. For the average Joe not wanting to go deep into the Outback on a wild safari, there are many capable 4x4 vehicles that, in addition to having 4wd, can haul passengers and cargo more capably and comfortably, thus offering more versatility than just offroad capability of the Jeep.

The Land Rover Discovery's and Land Cruisers to name two
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Originally Posted By: supton

You bet! Lots of interesting info if you google "Farm Jeep":

The, very similar yet so different, Land Rover Defenders ARE farm trucks for the rest of the world. America just never caught on..
21.gif

I can think of a lot more vehicles that are a lot less practical...
For instance.
bird1du8.jpg

but sometimes unpractical is just plain fun.

The local Jeep dealership has new Jeeps of mismatch colors. The always managed to get colored package of various colors but the bumper is still silver. Lol. I don't want to buy from a manufacture that can't even get the colors to match. Toyota needs to have the FJ's hood removable.

Last edited:
What's impractical for me, may not be for the next guy. I'm sure my vehicles are impractical for a lot of people. A Smart, Mini, Volt, etc. would not be practical for me.

Originally Posted By: datech
I wonder how much in excess of 30 hp the old jeep had?

IIRC, the early Go-Devil 4 was 55HP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back