I'm looking for a good thin 5W-20 dino oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a good 5W-20 dino oil that is among the thinnest. Right now I am running Castrol GTX. I just learned it is considered to be among the thicker oils. I'm trying to squeeze some more gas mileage out of my V8.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated...Thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Don't get your hopes up too high.
Not much to be gained from one 5-20 to the next.
Maybe NASA could measure it.

I understand. I just figured since the 5W-20 dino oils on the shelf at Walmart are nearly the same price, I may as well go with the one that gives me the best results at the pump.

Last edited:
You MIGHT end up saving 1/10th of a cent per gallon by switching to a different 5w20.

It always makes me laugh (sometimes literally) when someone on here posts about wanting to save on gas by switching oil or using some addative, yet they have a nearly new gas guzzling $30,000+ vehicle.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
You MIGHT end up saving 1/10th of a cent per gallon by switching to a different 5w20.

It always makes me laugh (sometimes literally) when someone on here posts about wanting to save on gas by switching oil or using some addative, yet they have a nearly new gas guzzling $30,000+ vehicle.

I'm glad I was able to make you laugh.

FYI, I can afford $38,000 trucks because I watch my money...all of my money.

Go to Toyota Dealer and get the Toyota 0W20 Synthetic and change it every 10,000 miles.

Otherwise I would use Motorcraft 5W20 from WalMart every 5000 miles.

Last edited:
I agree with Gene. Call some Toyota dealers to see which one willing to sell few cases of 0W20 full synthetic for $5/qt or less and do 10-12k OCI with a good filter. Also get a couple bottles Lubro Moly MOS2 at NAPA, it may improve your gas mileage a little. Another method to improve MPG is inflate your cold tires about 2-6 PSI above placard.

Originally Posted By: 1999cutiger

It is the juxtaposition of hoping to save a tiny bit of money on gas by switching oil (of the same grade, too) while: 1) having the means to afford a nearly $40k new vehicle, and 2) having chose a gas guzzler (which one presumably wouldn't buy if they couldn't afford the gas).

More power to you for being able to afford it. I hope to one day be able to afford something similar in a couple years when I finish my PhD. It is just the juxtaposition that is amusing.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
Go to Toyota Dealer and get the Toyota 0W20 Synthetic and change it every 10,000 miles.

Otherwise I would use Motorcraft 5W20 from WalMart every 5000 miles.

+ 1......Toyota 0w20 is considered a very thin oil....but I don't think it will make a signifigant difference in you gas mileage.

Inflating your tires by 4 to 6 PSI.....will help some.

Your V-8 pickup reminds me of when I owned a Porsche 944. One of my employees asked me what kind of gas mileage I got.

I told him, "If you have to worry about gas mileage, you don't have any business owning a Porsche."

Last edited:
Motorcraft 5w-20 or QSUD 5w-20 would be my choice of the 20's.I have used both and can say both work well but as stated don't look for any mpg gain with either.I get about 20.5 mpg out of my old Merc. 4.6L on these oils.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
Originally Posted By: 1999cutiger

It is the juxtaposition of hoping to save a tiny bit of money on gas by switching oil (of the same grade, too) while: 1) having the means to afford a nearly $40k new vehicle, and 2) having chose a gas guzzler (which one presumably wouldn't buy if they couldn't afford the gas).

That, is priceless.

How to save gas is more a matter of your right foot than your oil- (Speaking from the experience of owning 4 BMWs all of which had on board AVERAGE and REAL TIME fuel consumption meters)

You sound frugal, just like me -So here is my pick Motorcraft 5-20

$14.82 at my local Wal-Mart and turns out some great UOAs (do a search)

I'm not a huge fan of Ford, but they know how to spec an oil (and filters for that matter)

Last edited:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/savemoney.shtml

Comparing 17.0 to 17.1 at 15,000 miles a year at $3.78 per gallon (defaults).
Car 2 saves you $19 each year.

This my friends is how you become rich, with $19 a year saved on gas.

On the constructive end of things... I would just use Toyota's 0w20, it's aimed toward fuel economy, is thin, and contains a healthy dose of moly.

I'd be more concerned with choosing a 5w20 or 0w20 oil that has a lower viscosity at 40c, compared to choosing one based on it's viscosity at operating temp. I think there is more fuel savings to be had if you can have your oil be a lot thinner during the initial warmup time, where your gas mileage is typically horrible. Of course, the viscosity at operating temp is important too, so if you can find one that is thinner at both 40c and 100c than other oils, then that's a nice bonus.

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy

I told him, "If you have to worry about gas mileage, you don't have any business owning a Porsche."

When I was a little boy ~20 some years ago, my Grandfather taught me a VERY important lesson... "If you have to ask how much something costs, you can't afford it."

Very similar logic as yours.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OldCowboy
Your V-8 pickup reminds me of when I owned a Porsche 944. One of my employees asked me what kind of gas mileage I got.

Since you brought it up...if you could afford a Porsche, you would drive a 911.

We are not old friends Cowboy...go take jabs at someone else.

Last edited:
OP asked for thinner xW20 oil for his new Tundra to get better MPG, not the "You can afford $30,000+ ...".

Why mockery someone who want to save his hard earn money ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back