I'm in distress: I can't unscrew the EGR cooler

I dont have an impact driver or a torch, but I'd buy whatever is needed to unscrew these fooking things. I'm truly desperated, and yeah, Im short on experience but for me is harder to put everything back together and bring it to a shop, because the EGR cooler is the last thing I have to remove, and I've removed a lots of parts by now. I've drained the entire cooling system too, so if I had to bring it to a shop I would have to do the work twice
They make hand impact drivers that aren’t all that expensive.

Yeah I have torx sockets like the ones I display in the picture below.
But they are of no use in this context, since they are not able to unscrew the bolts I hold a fight against.

sorry if I sound dumb, but I'm not english

71TgDju+2GL.jpg
Those are female Torx sockets. You need male Torx sockets. I hope that statement don't get me in trouble. 😊

First, is it Torx, Torx Plus, or something else? At the risk of stating the obvious be absolutely sure you're using the correct driver.

Second, given the location I think heat is your best bet. It may take a lot of heat, but it appears to me access with an O/A torch is possible
Yeah. Hit it with a blowtorch or freezeoff in a can. My cousin had stuck transmission bolts on his 350z and they wouldn't budge. A little freeze off and they came right out.

Yeah I have torx sockets like the ones I display in the picture below.
But they are of no use in this context, since they are not able to unscrew the bolts I hold a fight against.

sorry if I sound dumb, but I'm not english

71TgDju+2GL.jpg
Those are E-torx

So, if you don't have Torx drivers I'm assuming you haven't actually tried to remove these??

Those are female Torx sockets. You need male Torx sockets. I hope that statement don't get me in trouble. 😊
You never know. Sockets are always female. No offense intended. Maybe there's a gender-neutral way of conveying the variant of the tool. The male variant of a socket is a bit. Socket and bit are however gender-neutral at least grammatically and should pass forum restrictions.

You never know. Sockets are always female. No offense intended. Maybe there's a gender-neutral way of conveying the variant of the tool. The male variant of a socket is a bit. Socket and bit are however gender-neutral at least grammatically and should pass forum restrictions.
You're trying to get me to say something to get me in trouble with the moderators; I'm not falling for it. 😁

You need the other kind of torx sockets…like these…

this is exactly what i'm using. I just misunderstood the user who asked me about the socket because I believed he was gonna tell me some life-hack using a female socket to extract the bolt. I'm desperate enough to believe in magic

Reactions: D60
I told another user about it. I'm not retarded enough to believe I could unscrew a bolt with a female, I just said that bc I believed someone was gonna tell me about a 'magic' trick or life-hack to break the rust linkage with a female socket or something like dat (I'm trying hard in order to explain myself here)

My mind is desperate enough to trick me at this stage.

Yeah. Hit it with a blowtorch or freezeoff in a can. My cousin had stuck transmission bolts on his 350z and they wouldn't budge. A little freeze off and they came right out.
i'm kinda confused right now.... should I use heat or freeze? dayum

If there's any way to get penetrating oil around the back of the flange, it's going to be helpful. Heat the flange and hose it down with oil. Let it soak in then give it your best shot.

If it's a loose fit, I used to grind a half mm off the tip of the torx bit to make it fractionally larger and pound it in.

At some point you've gotta just give it that extra umph and hope for the best.

If it rounds out you are in the land of right-angle drills or pulling the head I'm afraid.

Good luck!!

Back