I'm in distress: I can't unscrew the EGR cooler

I'm changing the thermostats (both the EGR and the engine one). Just one major issue: I can't unscrew those two bolts which are pointed with orange arrows.

I need your advice to unscrew them, and since I've tried to use an over-the-shelf lubricant with no use I'm starting to get a lil bit nervous about it.

My biggest fear is to shred the head of the bolt, thus letting the bolt completely useless. The handicap here is that the bolts are in a hidden area , so lets say there isn't much room in there

WhatsApp Image 2023-10-12 at 16.02.51.jpeg

First, is it Torx, Torx Plus, or something else? At the risk of stating the obvious be absolutely sure you're using the correct driver.

Second, given the location I think heat is your best bet. It may take a lot of heat, but it appears to me access with an O/A torch is possible

I'd use penetrating oil on the cold component overnight before anything else. Then try running the engine a little. You don't want to get the bolts as warm, though. Or heat the flange around the bolt with a small torch flame but avoid blasting the bolts. You want the flange with the threaded holes to expand but you don't want the bolts to expand as much.

What tools do you have? These are not bad with the correct tools. That top bolt is looking a little abused already.
Small impact, torch? impact torx sockets? Spray the penetrating oil on the back side not the bolt heads, it isn't going much good there.
If you are light on tools and/or experience in removing rusted fasteners take it to a shop and let them do it.

Use the right tool first:

Yep, already a little abused. ^^^

Last edited:
Heat, a good quality torx or torx plus bit. I'd get be the head a good whack with a hammer after heating.

Worst thing would be to get one out and break, round off the other. A shop may be your friend to do this.

First, is it Torx, Torx Plus, or something else? At the risk of stating the obvious be absolutely sure you're using the correct driver.

Second, given the location I think heat is your best bet. It may take a lot of heat, but it appears to me access with an O/A torch is possible
I dont think you are stating nothing obvious at all, as a matter of fact, I'm not even sure given the small differences between both of them... I'd say is Torx, but I'm not absolutely sure

I'd apply heat with a torch. Just a question: Do I need to heat the head of the bolt, wait till it cools down completely and then try to unscrew it, OR do I have to unscrew it inmediately after the application of heat?

I'd use penetrating oil on the cold component overnight before anything else. Then try running the engine a little. You don't want to get the bolts as warm, though. Or heat the flange around the bolt with a small torch flame but avoid blasting the bolts. You want the flange with the threaded holes to expand but you don't want the bolts to expand as much.

thx for the advice. I thought I had to blast the head of the bolt, not the flange, so I'd do what u say

the question is: Do I need to heat the flange around, wait till it cools down completely and then try to unscrew it, OR do I have to unscrew it inmediately after the application of heat?

I came with the idea of using an impact driver, but it doesn't fit in such a small place, there's just not enough room for it

What tools do you have? These are not bad with the correct tools. That top bolt is looking a little abused already.
Small impact, torch? impact torx sockets? Spray the penetrating oil on the back side not the bolt heads, it isn't going much good there.
If you are light on tools and/or experience in removing rusted fasteners take it to a shop and let them do it.
I dont have an impact driver or a torch, but I'd buy whatever is needed to unscrew these fooking things. I'm truly desperated, and yeah, Im short on experience but for me is harder to put everything back together and bring it to a shop, because the EGR cooler is the last thing I have to remove, and I've removed a lots of parts by now. I've drained the entire cooling system too, so if I had to bring it to a shop I would have to do the work twice

Use the right tool first:

Yep, already a little abused. ^^^

if it is a torx bolt (and it seems that it is) I'm using the correct tool

and yeah, the upper one has taken a fair amount of abuse, this is the reason why I'm asking here, to avoid rounding it

Heat, a good quality torx or torx plus bit. I'd get be the head a good whack with a hammer after heating.

Worst thing would be to get one out and break, round off the other. A shop may be your friend to do this.

I'd feel really bad bringing the car to a shop just to unbolt a fooking torx thing

Do you have torx sockets?
Yeah I have torx sockets like the ones I display in the picture below.
But they are of no use in this context, since they are not able to unscrew the bolts I hold a fight against.

sorry if I sound dumb, but I'm not english

71TgDju+2GL.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I have torx sockets like the ones I display in the picture below.
But they are of no use in this context, since they are not able to unscrew the bolts I hold a fight against.

sorry if I sound dumb, but I'm not english

71TgDju+2GL.jpg
You need the other kind of torx sockets…like these…

Back