If you had to buy a car today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a tight budget I'd like to have an '01-'02 Grand Am. They just rode and handled good. Maybe a low mile mint '02 SE with a V6 that already had the intake gasket properly replaced. An '02 or later Ecotec model would probably make the most economical sense. Runner ups would be an Olds Intrique or Grand Prix. They're a little bigger than I like and not the most fuel efficient, but are a nice ride. But like the Grand Ams it is getting hard to find low milage good conidtion ones for sale.

On an average budget a new or up to 2 year old 4cyl Malibu, Mazda 6, Altima or dare I say it a Camry (not much of a fan of the last model Accords). These cars are about the right size and give a good balance of economy and comfort.

The car I really want is a Cadillac ATS coupe with a V6. It isn't even out yet and not really in the budget. If I had money to burn I'd buy a new CTS coupe until the ATS V6 coupe comes out. And I'd move some place like Anaheim California where cold weather, salt and slick roads wouldn't be an issue lol.

Mine? I would find another two-tone Silver/Grey with black interior 2006 or 2007 Grand Marquis Ultimate with the Handling and Performance package. Sorry but I love my car and hope to keep it for many years. I had to go out of state to find the one I have.

If my wifes impala got trashed, she would be happy. She wants a new Buick Verano.

Oh, another Buick Park Avenue, say, the 2005 Ultra, would be great. Of course anybody who has one is hanging on to it.

If I had to select from what's on the dealers' lots or from private buyers at this moment, then either a lightly used 2011 Buick LaCrosse, or a late-model Mercury Grand Marquis. (The Mercury GMs are being held tightly by their owners too, it seems, at least around here.)

If we're blue-skying, then I'd love a 1991 Mercedes S-Class, say the 300SE, with a dark exterior and a light interior.

I'd get the car I have now. I was looking for a more fuel-efficient car with a manual transmission that wasn't either slow or a penalty box. The Cruze Eco MT is neither, and it's made me a generally happy owner.

I would try to find a 4 year old [or newer if possible] P71 Ford Police Interceptor or a late model Town Car,Grand Marquis or a low mileage 2011 CVLX since that was last year for them..I would not consider anything else.

I would buy a 2011 Regal Turbo off the lot. The offers they're running on them are pretty good and there's still a fair amount of stock left over.

If I were stretching my budget to the max, assuming I could use the payout from my current vehicle toward a down payment, I'd look at a Regal GS. It'd be a tough pill to swallow, since the I think ATS is going to be a solid alternative when it's released.

I'd look at both the Ford Fusion and the Hyundai Elantra. Both seem to be solid cars at a decent price point. I also prefer something not so flashy, and both fit the bill.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Seeing that I'm in love with my mom's Miata, I'd probably hunt down one in the best condition that the insurance check can afford. Probably 2nd gen and hope that the minivan in the family can make up for the lack of practicality. It'll at least have better gas mileage than the Max.

I hear you. I used to not think much of them really. I have a racing - car/mountain bike/motocross background. So I drove one again about 2 years ago after not having been in one for 10 years prior. I was hooked on the feel and handling. Then after confirming I could turbo it for a reasonable price I was sold. Nothing else I have driven feels as connected, tossable, recoverable and fun to drive. Add a turbo and they are straight line winners as well. Compared to many cars I have driven (Viper ACR / 07 911 Turbo / Evo MR with 400+ HP etc) they still feel like your trying to dance with a 400 lb person. Adding weight and then adding power to compensate does not make a great car. A street legal go kart makes daily driving exiting every day. I've never had a boring day in it ever.......

Flip a coin.
North of 20K, a 5 spd Accord, or maybe a Legacy.
For 16K or so, either a 5 spd Fit or a Fiat.
I would buy a new car, since if you keep a car for many years, it is the least expensive way to go for a daily driver that you don't want to have to work on for the next ten years or so.

99% probability I would buy a 2001-2008ish Ranger or F-150 Super Cab with XLT trim. I like the engine lineup in the new F-150s, but I'd have to do payments and I don't think I want that.

Originally Posted By: sierrascout
I would drive 27 miles to the KIA dealer and buy a leftover 2011 base RIO manual and pay cash. Drive it til it wouldnt go anymore.

Why a 2011? The 2012 is such a MASSIVE improvement over the 2011 in every single way. I wouldn't have even put the 2011 on my radar at all, but after driving a 2012 Rio as a rental in Florida for 4 days, I really am impressed with that car big time (and it wasn't even the top level model, which has a ton of nice features on it)

I always buy end of the year leftovers. I pay less for them and drive them just as long. I admit the 2012 is nicer but 4-5000 difference in price I can deal with a year older car.

I always buy end of the year leftovers. I pay less for them and drive them just as long. I admit the 2012 is nicer but 4-5000 difference in price I can deal with a year older car.

This ^

Fun topic....let's see....

I generally don't buy new but tend to favour 1-3 year old vehicles.

To replace the Nitro I'd look to a Jeep Grand Cherokee/Dodge Durango.

To replace the Jetta, I have a bit longer list to weed out:
VW Jetta GLI, VW CC, Audi A4, Audi TT and a Dodge Charger R/T

Or a mint 2000 SL2 .
wink.gif

Last edited:

I like the look of the older ones too. Black moulding and reasonably sized tires seems to work for me.
2011-kia-rio5-front-side-590x443_Be2Nf_40392.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back