If you had the means to move anywhere in the US today where would that be?

Not far. Somewhere that has a water source, few people and is off the list of top zombie apocalypse towns, nuclear strike strategic areas,etc BUT isn't as shutoff as say Mystery,Alaska(movie),or Perfection from Tremors (movie), Goose Bay, Newfoundland 😂.

Not sure I would stay in your neighborhood (planet?)-that pesky Death Star would be a constant danger. I would move to the foothills of the Smokies-close enough to have a little snow & hike in the mountains, preferably away from the craziness of a big city. I’ve never been to Cali, sounds expensive & crowded.
You just described the area we live perfectly.

I used to think I would like to live in Florida. But with 20M people now living in the Southern half of Florida, mostly along the coasts, I feel like there going to have a huge infrastructure problem much like California did in the 1990's - and maybe still do. The lack of an income tax is now offset by high housing costs, property taxes and insurance costs.

Of course that just means more people moving here, so we will soon have the same issues - we already have the infrastructure problems in many cases.

I used to think I would like to live in Florida. But with 20M people now living in the Southern half of Florida, mostly along the coasts, I feel like there going to have a huge infrastructure problem much like California did in the 1990's - and maybe still do. The lack of an income tax is now offset by high housing costs, property taxes and insurance costs.

Of course that just means more people moving here, so we will soon have the same issues - we already have the infrastructure problems in many cases.

Florida is expensive unless you bought something 10 years ago.

Lots of ‘house poor’ folks here spending 60% of their income just on housing.

Sure, there’s retired people for the NE selling their home for $1M and moving to Florida that are doing good.

Last edited:
I'd be in pig heaven just living in @slo town s estate, he has a super beautiful and peaceful lot.....
Very nice of you to say, GON. I've worked hard on this place since we bought it in 2005 I post these pics just because I was the one to do ALL the landscaping; underground irrigation, DG pathways, trees and shrubs, grass, all of it. I work like hired help. The beer is the view over our back fence. The ocean is just 11 miles from there. And the arial shot of the roadway, that's my way out on my bikes. I'm riding that road just 90 seconds after rolling down our driveway. That's Venteux Winery you see there which is our neighborhood hangout. The entire area is Sue's and my little piece of paradise. I hope we never have to leave it.

Scott

dji_fly_20221029_095000_82_1667062458568_photo_optimized.JPG
IMG_7885.jpeg
IMG_4865 2.jpg
Neighborhhod road.jpg

Last edited:
Grew up, went to school, and still here. It used to be much better...
Last time I was out there was about 7 years ago. It's so beautiful there. Perfect weather, great golf, healthy restaurants, my wife will fit right in with all the other beautiful and fit women, and the ocean and beach are there.

The easy thing to do is nothing, hardest is make it happen. We rolled the dice in 2005 and moved from Pa to Az and haven't regretted it for a second.
I agree but I offer a word of caution. Sue and I go way back in Los Gatos, CA, but we sold out and moved to Colorado in 2000. All our neighbors were fantastic people - as are most Coloradans - but the high altitude winter bitter cold didn't work for me. I lasted just 26 months before moving back to Cali. Fortunately I had a lucrative career which gave us the financial resources to move back. I'd never suggest someone leave their home town after they are retired. If you don't like your new location it may be impossible to move back.

Scott

Last edited:
Fort Lauderdale and I want a Tundra CrewMax SR with bench front seat, dual battery, 30-50 gallon auxiliary tank in the bed, my trusty Caterpillar utility battery box and Gooloo GP400 jump starter, AK47, Glock 40, Becker BK2, and Ontario SP10. I’ll enjoy the nice weather but as soon as I hear bad weather is coming, I’ll fill up the truck and head as far inland as the gas tank will take me.

And I’ll be doing that in 5-6 years or as little as 2 as house is paid off soon and just waiting for

I agree but I offer a word of caution. Sue and I go way back in Los Gatos, CA, but we sold out and moved to Colorado in 2000. All our neighbors were fantastic people - as are most Coloradans - but the high altitude winter bitter cold didn't work for me. I lasted just 26 months before moving back to Cali. Fortunately I had a lucrative career which gave us the financial resources to move back. I'd never suggest someone leave their home town after they are retired. If you don't like your new location it may be impossible to move back.

Scott
You went from a perfect climate to a harsh climate and didn't know what living in it would be like. We were 50, sold our small business came here and got nice jobs. Retired now. I don't think people should tough out the rest of their lives living somewhere they don't like for whatever reason. The smart thing is to spend enough time at the possible location to know what you're getting yourself into. (we didn't but it worked out.)

Back