Idaho College Killer Suspect Arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Here's map of the Pullman/Moscow area. Why would he go the very long way around to Moscow and back to Pullman on Nov 13 between 3 and 4:30 am instead of going directly over on Hwy 270 like he normally would?

1673043482155.png

For sure, it’s your right and the outlook for the suspect looks bleak, however in the off chance he is found innocent his reputation is already ruined, partly because of speculations like in this thread.
Kind of a misconception here. He can't be found innocent. He can be found not guilty. There is a difference.
OJ was found not guilty in the criminal trial by an arguably incompetent jury bent on avenging perceived social injustices. He was found responsible for the murders in a subsequent civil trial. He was never found, nor was he ever innocent. He is a murderer whose reputation was justifiably ruined.

I highly doubt a 28 yo PhD student at WSU that only lived in Pullman since June 2022 had any close or personal/intimate relationship with any of those 20 and 21 year old girls attending U of I. He might have known them through social media, etc ... maybe even seeing them in Moscow at the Mad Greek resturant where they worked. I highly doubt they directly knew him. He latched on to them for some reason, and IMO it wasn't because he was a jelouse ex or current boyfriend.
Trust me, a 21 yo and 28 yo college student aren’t that far removed. They could’ve met clubbing one night, entered into a relationship, and it eventually maybe went sour. I don’t think you realize how crazy people can get when it comes to relationships. Especially when there’s a split up, rejection, etc. Seems people these days don’t think about the consequences of their actions involving relationships.

Kind of a misconception here. He can't be found innocent. He can be found not guilty. There is a difference.
OJ was found not guilty in the criminal trial by an arguably incompetent jury bent on avenging perceived social injustices. He was found responsible for the murders in a subsequent civil trial. He was never found, nor was he ever innocent. He is a murderer whose reputation was justifiably ruined.
Innocent until found guilty. So a finding of not guilty means you are innocent in the eyes of the law.
OJ was found not guilty which in the eyes of the laws in this country means he was just that innocent. A finding of not guilty means the government did not prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt and you are innocent unless it was proved otherwise.

In a civil trial things are different, OJ lost and was found guilty beyond a preponderance of the evidence. Which means the jury felt a greater than 50% chance he committed murder.

669031A7-B403-4366-8978-C0356DE6E64B.jpeg

Trust me, a 21 yo and 28 yo college student aren’t that far removed. They could’ve met clubbing one night, entered into a relationship, and it eventually maybe went sour. I don’t think you realize how crazy people can get when it comes to relationships. Especially when there’s a split up, rejection, etc. Seems people these days don’t think about the consequences of their actions involving relationships.
I fully understand how crazy people can get over "love relationships" - I follow true crime quite a bit. I'm sure if there were any kind of an interpersonal relationship going on, that will come out in the trial. Or maybe Kohlberger's old criminology professor back in PA who wrote BTK's bibliography will get the details of the motive(s) from Kohlberger in his jail cell after conviction and put it in her book about him.

I suspect the reason that witness Dylan M. wasn't killed was that the killer had just murdered 4 people, one of whom at least had put up a struggle. Killing people with a knife and moving to a room on another floor to kill two more takes a lot more physical activity than it would had the killer used a gun and I think he was exhausted and the adrenaline rush that he had during the killing was starting to wear off and he just wanted to get the heck out of there asap.

It will be interesting to see what the forensic team may have found at his apartment and in the car. His clothes probably had blood spatter on them which would have transferred to the car. He was observed giving the car a thorough cleaning while wearing "surgical gloves".

Well, I often wear latex or nitrile gloves while working on my car and while using waxes and detailing products as I am sure many other BITOG members do so the suspects use of them isn't necessarily a sign of guilt. But wearing gloves while taking out the trash and trying to hide the trash in a neighbor's bin ? That's odd. And even when criminals do their best to clean up evidence by using bleach or other methods they often miss just the tiniest drop which is all the lab people need to work with.

I can only assume and hope they come up with more evidence.
It makes good reading but reading others thoughts (not in here), really the only thing connecting him so far is the knife sheath. Nothing else connects him physically to the home at that time of night on that night. A defense could create a reasonable doubt with something that I have no idea what at this point except him to say he hasn't seen that knife in a long time.

Im only saying this as we still are in the dark on what happened that night, including with the surviving house mates/friends.
Dont misunderstand my post, Im just thinking they need more and what with this little bit of cell phone tracking ect... a defense team might be able to do.
I suspect they will have more DNA to place him at the scene. What we just read was enough to charge him. It's really a puzzling story one of which I am sure everyone will know in a couple months.

The roommate identified him in a lineup by his eyebrows and build as being in the house, his DNA is present on the likely murder weapon’s sheath and I’m betting there’s more DNA evidence they find in testing the car/victims. His car is on camera multiple times the night of the murder, the phone pinging off towers and the long drive from the murder scene but having the phone turned off during the time the murders were committed. I know jurors can be dumb, but there’s a lot of evidence to point to him and his defense is going to have a tough time explaining away all of those details.

The roommate not calling police or at least checking on the others in the house is odd but I’ve never been in that situation. Waiting til the late afternoon isn’t unusual as she probably slept from 4:30 AM til 3 PM or later after being out and up late.

I bet he’s never had a relationship with anyone in the house. Maybe he met one at the restaurant and said something awkward and the girl shot him down and made him angry? Maybe he followed one of them on Instagram and became obsessed? What pretty college girl doesn’t have an Instagram account? There’s plenty of odd people out there and this guy clearly has some issues.

I read something that classmates said he was condescending towards the female classmates and would dismiss their opinions. His mom might not have hugged him enough or maybe a cute blonde was mean to him when he was fat in high school and one of the victims looked like her? Who knows?

The roommate identified him in a lineup by his eyebrows and build as being in the house, his DNA is present on the likely murder weapon’s sheath and I’m betting there’s more DNA evidence they find in testing the car/victims. His car is on camera multiple times the night of the murder, the phone pinging off towers and the long drive from the murder scene but having the phone turned off during the time the murders were committed. I know jurors can be dumb, but there’s a lot of evidence to point to him and his defense is going to have a tough time explaining away all of those details.

The roommate not calling police or at least checking on the others in the house is odd but I’ve never been in that situation. Waiting til the late afternoon isn’t unusual as she probably slept from 4:30 AM til 3 PM or later after being out and up late.
Im not disagreeing with anyone in here with the thoughts you present. Sure, I think there is compelling "story" but lacking a lot of evidence.
Agree with the sheath too not sure how that is explained away yet.
Betting on more DNA? that is evidence that we do not have yet, what if they dont find it? Since so many are assuming, it might start to call into the reasonable doubt thing.

Agree again on the car and cell phone pings (if it was him, boy was that dumb) but we are all free to travel public roads and cell phone pings do not put him in the house.

Ahhh ... the roommates, yeah, I am about to post a story on that, even the police are still clueless as to why not one but TWO roommates didnt call the police. Do I think they were involved? Right now, I will take the police judgement on that but just the fact it happened can be used to cast more doubt in a jurors eyes as to what the heck took place that night.

The description of the murderer will not hold muster in court. He wasnt picked out of a line up, it was a description of an American male.

Look, there is a reason police look for the murder weapon even when there is a lot more evidence, a lot more DNA...
I wont call jurors dumb, unless you are on the jury it is a big responsibility. People like OJ as the most famous example got off the hook and he had boatloads more evidence against him, including a major motive. Also a lot of people have wrongly been convicted and put to death.

Talking about motive, as of right now there is none. Police cant even come up with them having contact at all with him.

Im enjoying this thread, hope no one thinks otherwise, good discussion and a snapshot of how Americans feel. Pretty cool.

Last edited:
Continued from the post above ^^^^^^
and sooo ... police acknowledge they do not know why the roommates did not call police except that they are as sure as they can be that they were not involved. (as of today anyway)

"According to a newly released police affidavit, in the moments before Kaylee Goncalves, Madison Mogen, Xana Kernodle and Ethan Chapin were stabbed to death on the two upper floors of the Moscow house, Mortensen thought she heard Goncalves saying, “There’s someone here,” followed by the sound of crying from Kernodle’s room and a male voice ringing out, “It’s ok, I’m going to help you.”"

"Law enforcement is also currently coming up empty in their search for connections between the six students and the accused killer, 28-year-old Bryan Kohberger, who lived a 15 minute-drive away in Pullman, Wash., where he was a PhD student studying criminology."

Last edited:
Im not disagreeing with anyone in here with the thoughts you present. Sure, I think there is compelling "story" but lacking a lot of evidence.
Agree with the sheath too not sure how that is explained away yet.
Betting on more DNA? that is evidence that we do not have yet, what if they dont find it? Since so many are assuming, it might start to call into the reasonable doubt thing.

Agree again on the car and cell phone pings (if it was him, boy was that dumb) but we are all free to travel public roads and cell phone pings do not put him in the house.

Ahhh ... the roommates, yeah, I am about to post a story on that, even the police are still clueless as to why not one but TWO roommates didnt call the police. Do I think they were involved? Right now, I will take the police judgement on that but just the fact it happened can be used to cast more doubt in a jurors eyes as to what the heck took place that night.

The description of the murderer will not hold muster in court. He wasnt picked out of a line up, it was a description of an American male.

Look, there is a reason police look for the murder weapon even when there is a lot more evidence, a lot more DNA...
I won call jurors dumb, unless you are on the jury it is a big responsibility. People like OJ as the most famous example got off the hook and he had boatloads more evidence against him, including a major motive. Also a lot of people have wrongly been convicted and put to death.

Talking about motive, as of right now there is none. Police cant even come up with them having contact at all with him.

Im enjoying this thread, hope no one thinks otherwise, good discussion and a snapshot of how Americans feel. Pretty cool.

Slightly more detailed than American male:

“She told police the figure was 5-foot-10 or taller and a male who was “not very muscular but athletically built.” The man the roommate saw, she said, also had “bushy eyebrows.” As the witness stood in a “frozen shock phase,” the man walked toward the back sliding glass door, and she locked herself in her room. She said she did not recognize him.“

I enjoy the discussion about this as well. As sloppy as this graduate level criminology major was, his public defender is going to have a heck of a time explaining even the circumstantial stuff away, let alone the DNA. I wonder if they’ll find/have found the knife in a ditch or creek along his route home. I’m glad they’ve arrested someone and feel like they’ve got the right guy.

Slightly more detailed than American male:

“She told police the figure was 5-foot-10 or taller and a male who was “not very muscular but athletically built.” The man the roommate saw, she said, also had “bushy eyebrows.”
Really? This is a description? No it's not and will not be in court other than those words. That male could be 1/4 of an entire college campus.
He was not in any way identified other than 5'10" (he is six feet) Athletic and bushy eyebrows.

If they lined up 5 people fitting that general description she would not be able to identify him. Granted it does help build the story, cell phone, car, sheath.
****ALSO let's not forget on the witness stand she will have to answer and tell how many drugs she was on that night and how much drinking she was doing on top of taking the drugs, if any but if none then the excuse to not call the police is down to shock or complicity instead of shock or complicity or drugs and alcohol. Not a very good eyewitness.

I wonder of the public defender. I wonder if a big law firm will step up and take the case? (pro bono)

Last edited:
Dang, I dislike these speculative threads before the data is even out, but I see the entertainment level some are having with this one.

Regarding the delay of reporting, there are numerous bodycam videos showing police visits to that home for loud noise/party violations in the weeks proceeding the murders. It was an open door party house frequented by many people. Maybe the delay of reporting is tied to drug/alcohol use and people not wishing to invite the police back?

Last edited:
Dang, I dislike these speculative threads before the data is even out, but I see the entertainment level some are having with this one.

Regarding the delay of reporting, there are numerous bodycam videos showing police visits to that home for loud noise/party violations in the weeks proceeding the murders. It was an open door party house frequented by many people. Maybe the delay of reporting is tied to drug/alcohol use and people not wishing to invite the police back?
I dont buy that, I heard some disturbance and "thump" I checked outside my room two times then on the third time I hear my roommate crying and an unknown voice saying something to my roommate and a masked man (with a knife in his hand?) walks by me in my house. She knew something was wrong, she admitted "freezing" in place, unable to move until she saw him exit the house. She then went back to her room and locked the door. There was no party going on at the time.

Last edited:
I wonder if they’ll find/have found the knife in a ditch or creek along his route home.
Or maybe later on Nov 13 he made a "ditch the knife and bloody clothes", etc evidence when they tracked him going to Clarkston WA/Lewiston ID and his phone turned off for 3 hours while way out in some backroads east of Lewiston. That's in the affidavit, and shown on various YT videos. Why would he make that trip to Clarkston/Lewiston area way out in the woods right after making a quick trip to the scene of the crime then back home earlier that morning before 911 was ever called.

Last edited:
Here's a twist. Kohberger's sister was in a 2011 slasher movie called "Two Days Back". Google it.

I suspect the reason that witness Dylan M. wasn't killed was that the killer had just murdered 4 people, one of whom at least had put up a struggle. Killing people with a knife and moving to a room on another floor to kill two more takes a lot more physical activity than it would had the killer used a gun and I think he was exhausted and the adrenaline rush that he had during the killing was starting to wear off and he just wanted to get the heck out of there asap.
Plus it sounds like the dog was starting to bark. And it's possible Dylan only cracked her door to look with her bedroom lights not on, and he didn't even see her. He was on his way out and probably had tunnel vision at that point according to experts analysis. Now if Dylan would have walk out right in front of him it would have most likely been a totally different scenario.

I’m betting there’s more DNA evidence they find in testing the car/victims. His car is on camera multiple times the night of the murder, the phone pinging off towers and the long drive from the murder scene but having the phone turned off during the time the murders were committed. I know jurors can be dumb, but there’s a lot of evidence to point to him and his defense is going to have a tough time explaining away all of those details.
I'm betting there will be lots more evidence that will bury him so deep that his defense lawyer will tell him to make a plea bargain after she gets all the pretrial discovery info because she knows there is no chance of explaining it all away. Just the evidence laid out in the affidavit would be very hard to explain away.

Based on his sloppiness, I'm betting he did nothing to totally remove any possible incriminating evidence on his home computer(s), possibly his work computer and his cell phone or any other digital device that can be forensically investigated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.