I want to change the filter and not the oil

If you are selling the car you should just change the oil along with your new Toyota brand oil filter. Use that as a selling point (just serviced) . When people buy a newer car they expect it to be good to go and them not having to do anything to it for a while. Every time you buy a used car from a dealership it comes with a fresh oil change.
"just serviced"....translation: it was way overdue.

Change the filter if in your mind thats going to make a difference. There is nothing special about toyota filter. Now their oil is a premium oil but if you go to the dealer are you getting Toyota oil or a poorer oil like Mobil 1 or Pennzoil?

I think its an expression of OCD behavior that none of us here are guilty of, just like the accumulating 47th+ post on the specific topic. :)

If i were a potential buyer, I would appreciate that detail, but again we'll never know if its John Deer Hygard, 20w50, or more likely bulk something something. 🤷‍♂️

OP should also share pictures so we can appreciate if its a S sporty edition, the rare XLE, or more likely LE.

BTW OP, hope you are safe from recent wind damage. My wife is delayed 1 day in NC coming home due to cancelled connection flight in DC from being hit with bad weather damage.

Last edited:
You must work for the government, what with how you try to put spin on a comment. I said, I would like to see an oem filter on a car I'm buying. Nowhere did I say I would tell a buyer that the car was dealer serviced.
Talk about spin ? Good job ..You are the one that used the term " dealer serviced " .

Talk about spin ? Good job ..You are the one that used the term " dealer serviced " .
Let me replay my post in it's entirety,
Personally, I would like to see an oem filter on a car I'm buying, showing the owner took enough care of it to get it dealer serviced.
If you can't understand I'm saying what I like to see in a car I'm looking at, then it seems you are being deliberately obtuse.

Its a used car, everything should be viewed through a skeptical lens.
Believe half of what you see, some or none of what you hear.
I dont see anything wrong about any of this.

The 2017 Corolla I got recently looks like it had an oil change not long before I got it. Oil has maybe 1,000 miles on it and looks clean. I want to replace the no name filter with a Toyota filter before selling. Any reason not to change just the filter without changing the oil?
Yes you can change the filter with out changing the oil. You may have to add some oil after the filter change.

If I'm concerned about the maintenance history of a vehicle , I want to see records . An OEM filter on a vehicle means nothing , as proven here .
Here you go but I assume the next critique is about Jiffy Lube maintenance. :ROFLMAO:

0001.jpg

0002.jpg

0003.jpg

0004.jpg

0005.jpg

0006.jpg

0007.jpg

0008.jpg

0009.jpg

So with a car that was driven 41,000+ miles a year on average for six years, even with the detailed service history, what price will you ask for this vehicle? Just curious with the high mileage.

Not sure why you felt a need to post that but what does that have to do with the " dealer service " you tried to simulate ? :geek:

Back